RC Racer

Spur gear has uneven wear???

I've been running 15 pinion 38 spur for awhile now. And now all of a sudden I have uneven wear on the spur gear???
    "My Ideas always work sometimes"

Do you have a picture? What do you mean uneven? Such as some teeth are more worn than the others? One half is worn and the other is not? Could be a broken engine mount, bad bearings, or something else...
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    I would say, check everything associated with gear mesh, including clutch bell bearings. Also, check engine mount area of frame for bending, thats easy because you can see top front of cooling head lower than the rear.
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Champion
    It could be something broken or mis-aligned like they've said^, or it could be so worn that the tips of the teeth are breaking off.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Champion
    Spur gears are like 3 bucks, so dont sweat a replacement, also, Ebay motor mounts are extremely cheap!

RC Racer
    just before the spur went on me.....I lost the 2 screws that hold the exhaust header to the crankcase.

RC Racer
    thanx for the info gents...

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanslayer46 View Post
    Spur gears are like 3 bucks, so dont sweat a replacement, also, Ebay motor mounts are extremely cheap!

Yup cleaned out the LHS on spurs right after (3) 2-38t and a 40t....not sure I need a a motor mount...yet.

RC Champion
    Alot of times, you wont even notice engine mount broken, my experience has been that the right rear corner breaks off.....

RC Racer
    I may be wrong but judging by what i see in that picture it looks as though its partially stripped to me, not that its worn uneven. Just my opinion

I agree. Looks stripped.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Yup, something moved under power and stripped half of it.

RC Racer
    when you install a new spur gear, for just a little extra insurance i use blue loctite on all of my engine mount screws. And make sure you have the star washers inbetween the mount and the cradle, if not that could have caused you're slip.

RC Champion
    The star washers can go between the bolt head and cradle, not between the mount and cradle. I know it shows different in the exploded view, but it's not good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    The star washers can go between the bolt head and cradle, not between the mount and cradle. I know it shows different in the exploded view, but it's not good.

Lube im not sure i understand exactly what you are saying. I think your saying put the star washer on the outside?. What do you run between the cradle and mount.

RC Champion
    I prefer the cradle and mount to be tight against each other for strength. Then I use the washer on the bolt head.

RC Champion
    I disagree, the star washer should be against the mount and the cradle. There is a relief there that is made for it and that is where you will need to prevent movement. I also do not use locktite on my engine screws. They are already set up with compression washers and work fine without it. Chassis flex can cause this as well and might want to consider a better brace.
    Last edited by pntmachine; 02-02-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Racer
    that's what I thought you were talking about lube. That makes sense I just chose to do the other lol. I have a system that works for me if you know what I mean. And if it weren't for loctite I would never be able to run much as my engine screws will back out if I dont

RC Champion
    If your going to use locktite and its always good to do what works for you, it would be good to clean off the old everytime or it will cause slop eventually in the holes as the mount is soft cast aluminum.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Racer
    yea I agree. I have to use bunches of that stuff though. I put it on my wheels,engine,roll hoop, lots of places I have to have it