RC Champion

This is for you DG.

The story is cut out of face book, i didn't want to type it again, I wish you could see all the comments, brought me to tears. Got a video of the aftermath, I have a whole new respect for what you guys do, and found out what smoke inhalation feels like, my throat still feels like its full of razor blades. I hope this comes out.

Cut and paste from FB:

God and my parents were watching over me again tonight, we came up to the camper for the weekend and I picked up my new sled, brought it back here to install the GPS and my bags, I unloaded it and rode down to the office, saw a bunch of people out side by the rental rooms, so I pulled over there, one of the bunkhouses was fully engulfed in flames, it was spreading and getting ready to wipe out the whole place, a couple of dudes on sleds and I crashed the place with shovel and snow, I never thought I'd be running into a burning building tonight, the owner were in shock and you know me, I'll be dammed if I'm going to watch a place go up if I can do something to stop it and we did. The room is a total loss but we stopped the fire from getting into the ceiling, it was heading that way, we dragged all the stuff out of the room, the beds were on fire, I heard a broken pipe spraying water so I tried the shower valve and got flow, and bucketed the heck out of the flames heading up to the roof. By the grace of God we got it, by the time the FD got here it was all out. It's different up here compared to at home and we take it for granted that you all 911 and in anyplace in Dover they will be there in less than 4 or 5 minutes, it took over a half hour for them to get here. I'm not looking for a pat on the back, I'm Thanking God for keeping me safe and letting me help someone in need. I know Mom and Dad was with me. I did have some smoke inhalation and had to take O2. But it was all worth it to not see my friends place be totaled, the 2 young dudes on the sleds tried before I got there to knock it down but they got forced out and tried to shut the door and hoped it would die out but that wasn't happening, the beast was alive and wanting to take the whole place. I gave it a dose of what a Dover Boy can do when the chips are down and by the grace of God we did it. I have a new respect to what a fireman goes though when he enters a burning building, it's dark, you can't breath but it's you against the fire, tonight we won. Thanks Dad for giving me a pair of balls. I did just what you would have done. We don't stand and watch, we fight, till the end. Love you guys, and Thank You Dear Lord.

Rough weekend, but it was out by the time the Vol. FD got here, were in the middle of nowhere, that whole place in the video would have been gone. All started from a space heater on pipes below the bathroom where the water comes into the building, like I said man, total respect for what you do, Thank You.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-24-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Racer
    Agreed, my thanks goes out to all who put their lives on the line!

RC Champion
    Wow....................
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Racer
    You rock Al... big gahoonas and yes respect to all emergency departments around the world

Thank you very much! Some people get their thrills by jumping out of planes or off bridges or driving fast around a track. Me? It's heading into a fire that is hotter than your oven, staring at the living beast eating everything in its path and rolling over on the ceiling and then killing it with a 1 3/4" hose blowing out water at over 125psi.

One of these days, I hope and pray, it will be a full-time job.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-24-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    100 PSI is ideal for the fog nozzle

Of course, that means pumping at 148 PSI to compensate for the friction...

Firefighter/EMT/Chauffeur here for 15 years and loving it although not fond of Hydraulics classes
    Last edited by bassemj; 01-31-2012 at 10:20 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bassemj View Post
    100 PSI is ideal for the fog nozzle

Of course, that means pumping at 148 PSI to compensate for the friction...

Firefighter/EMT/Chauffeur here for 15 years and loving it although not fond of Hydraulics classes
    Dude you should really try it out with a shovel and snow, not sure of the hydraulics on that but it worked.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Competitor
    Its been the same for a long time. People dont even know you exist much less appreciate ya, until they need you. Been a volunteer for my local station for 12 years. Been a career firefighter for 10 years. Different side of it paid though. Im in an ARFF unit. (Aircraft Rescue) Our toys are a bit bigger, but we still do the same thing. Put the blue stuff on the red stuff. Much respect for all the career guys out there, even more for the ones who do it for free.

RC Enthusiast
    Snow ? What's that... San Antonio Texas here