Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20

    Is 30 watt soldering iron hot enough for soldering battery connectors?

    I need to get a soldering iron to add some trx connectors to my lipos and wondering if a 30watt is strong enough??

    thanks!

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    it MIGHT be, but it's going to be a pain in the rear to get the wires hot enough to tin them, much less get the tinned wire AND the Traxxas connector hot enough at the same time to join the two

    the one I use is a cheap Radio Shack one that has a dial on it, and it maxes out at 50 watts. I use it at 50 watts all of the time, and it works perfectly

    it also works 100% better if you pick up some of the wider flat tips to use on them instead of the pointed ones that typically come with the iron
    fix, run, break, repeat

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Posts
    101
    You will have a heck of a time doing it with 30 watts but it can be done. I have a 30 watt soldering pen and I take mine to get done at my lhs because its more trouble than its worth.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    274
    I got a 60w on the bay works great! 8.99 shipped
    E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    FYI, if your joint looks like this when you're done, just give up and take it somewhere and have someone else do it... this is what was on the ESC of the Slash 4x4 when I bought it used

    fix, run, break, repeat

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. El Sob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Sobrante, Ca
    Posts
    8,131
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    FYI, if your joint looks like this when you're done, just give up and take it somewhere and have someone else do it... this is what was on the ESC of the Slash 4x4 when I bought it used

    That looks like hammered poop!!!!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    yeah I could have done a better job with a Bic lighter, lol
    fix, run, break, repeat

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    265
    40w is a minimum for soldering 12ga connectors. If the tip is clean and tinned it goes relatively quick, but if it gets even slightly dirty, it will take forever, and the longer you have to apply heat, the further up the wire heat will travel, using a hotter iron not only can give better joints, but it actually can help keep the wire jacket, and whatever is attatched to the wire stay cooler. There usually isn't much difference in cost between 40w to 100w pencil irons, so bigger is better, and unless you also plan on using it for deliate electronics you don't really need a low power setting.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    yeah that's why I opted to get an adjustable one. I've use the same iron for soldering the battery connectors on new lipos to soldering itty bitty surface mounted LEDs to a PCB

    you think soldering 12ga wire to battery terminals is nerve racking, lay a few of these on a PCB with a pair of tweezers and see how steady your hand is, lol

    fix, run, break, repeat

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Draper, UT
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    yeah that's why I opted to get an adjustable one. I've use the same iron for soldering the battery connectors on new lipos to soldering itty bitty surface mounted LEDs to a PCB

    you think soldering 12ga wire to battery terminals is nerve racking, lay a few of these on a PCB with a pair of tweezers and see how steady your hand is, lol



    If you think thats a pain, try soldering these all day! You cough & they are gone.

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Draper, UT
    Posts
    72
    A chisel tip and some good flux will help a lot with transferring heat and making a perfect connection.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20
    I picked up an adjustable soldering station for 20 bucks at Fry's (goes up to 50w) and it worked fine. I've never soldered in my life and I just watched some vids on youtube and everything turned out perfect. Got the TRX connectors on both my lipo's and then cut off a tamiya connector and added a TRX connector for my charger.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    154
    go to radio shack and buy this. PERFECT.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...odsInSession=1

    30w is not enough, and 50 watt is also pretty tough to get the heat you NEED.
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by Chub-Five View Post
    go to radio shack and buy this. PERFECT.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...odsInSession=1

    30w is not enough, and 50 watt is also pretty tough to get the heat you NEED.
    seriously?
    fix, run, break, repeat

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    80
    I had the problem with the TRX connectors and the huge gauge wire from Hobby King on the ******* batteries. I invested in a quality Weller WESD51 and never looked back. It's such a breeze soldering when you have the right tools

    http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WESD51-.../dp/B000ARU9PO
    Losi TEN-SCTE | Tekin RX8 | Tekin Pro4 4600

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Draper, UT
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    seriously?
    Hahaha! I'm with you man..

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    154
    more watts = more heat = easy soldering and clean connections.
    50 watt would be good for soldering microchips, but for RC cars if your using and 30 watt, 50 watt, 60 watt...anything that isnt atleast 100 watt....your a noob. just offering advice. dont hate rcDESTROYER.
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    I think you're the one that needs to do a little more research... when you get down to it, it's not all about wattage, and simply having the most wattage you can get is not always the best option...

    but hey whatever works for you
    Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-02-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    fix, run, break, repeat

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Draper, UT
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Chub-Five View Post
    more watts = more heat = easy soldering and clean connections.
    50 watt would be good for soldering microchips, but for RC cars if your using and 30 watt, 50 watt, 60 watt...anything that isnt atleast 100 watt....your a noob. just offering advice. dont hate rcDESTROYER.
    Hey man, I'm just baffled by the massive gun you recommended. That thing is good for a limited amount of jobs. If for some reason he would need to solder a smaller wire or trace on a PCB then that would be worthless. Put out a little more money and pick up a decent station that has range to do things as small as a grain of rice or as big as a 4awg audio cable. Just saying...

    http://www.amazon.com/AT201D-Digital...170145&sr=1-25

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    154
    that "massive gun" has a trigger, so with a little skill, you can keep the heat at proper temperatures. it also has optional tips if you're really into smaller solder jobs. It solders "rice" sized objects easily, because you only have to heat the object, not stab it. And for half the price i'm absolutely sure I would pass up your "soldering station"..... also no wait for shipping, run to the closest radioshack and pick one up
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Draper, UT
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Chub-Five View Post
    that "massive gun" has a trigger, so with a little skill, you can keep the heat at proper temperatures. it also has optional tips if you're really into smaller solder jobs. It solders "rice" sized objects easily, because you only have to heat the object, not stab it. And for half the price i'm absolutely sure I would pass up your "soldering station"..... also no wait for shipping, run to the closest radioshack and pick one up
    Radio Shack has that exact soldering station branded for them. If you are absolutely sure then you need to stop talking and do some research... I and a lot of other people on here have been soldering for a long time. I personally own a electronics repair shop and have been soldering for my entire life. Hop over to a forum that is dedicated for soldering and see if you can even find a post mentioning your gun that is not related to humor.. Just because you have an opinion toward something does not mean it is better. Research and experience only proves what is really better. That gun would completely melt the top of the SMD LED that I posted in my previous post not to mention what it would do to to components surrounding in a confined space.

  22. #22
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by rcDESTROYER View Post
    Radio Shack has that exact soldering station branded for them. If you are absolutely sure then you need to stop talking and do some research... I and a lot of other people on here have been soldering for a long time. I personally own a electronics repair shop and have been soldering for my entire life. Hop over to a forum that is dedicated for soldering and see if you can even find a post mentioning your gun that is not related to humor.. Just because you have an opinion toward something does not mean it is better. Research and experience only proves what is really better. That gun would completely melt the top of the SMD LED that I posted in my previous post not to mention what it would do to to components surrounding in a confined space.
    Im just going to throw this out there...
    with that gun (I have and used on 16 to 10g wire, R/c motors,ESC, 6mm/stock Brushless connectors,Battery bars, hundreds of deans and trx plugs ect on and on. )
    Pre heat time (pull the trigger) 10 sec your ready to go. pre heat that 10g wire, add solder, Done within 30 sec. Then on to the trx or whatever connector.
    you dont have to fiddle around with your connector when it sucks every ounce of power/heat out of your little iorn

    I will say If someone has no Idea what their doing. dont solder with a powerfull unit, ya might burn yourself


    edit: Also getting things unsoldered... Easy!
    And yea if your soldering a circuit board or something tiny like above tiny things (probably not even r/c related) of course your not using a gun
    Last edited by Krazy-SLASH#1; 02-03-2012 at 01:25 AM.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy-SLASH#1 View Post


    edit: Also getting things unsoldered... Easy!
    And yea if your soldering a circuit board or something tiny like above tiny things (probably not even r/c related) of course your not using a gun
    those LEDs were definitely not RC related, they were new LEDs for the gauge cluster in my 06 Tacoma when I decided to change the color





    but what's very RC related is when you have to repair the servo wire lead on an ESC do that with a 100watt gun...





    sent from my BAMFed Thunderbolt
    fix, run, break, repeat

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Posts
    295
    I had a 30w radioshack iron...until I tried soldering new deans connectors on my old vxl esc...

    I got myself a proper Trakpower tk-950 (I think that's what its called) and it's a 60w iron, goes up to 896*F. With a bigger chizel tip from a Hako iron, it solders 12ga wire in around a minute I can have the joint done. Depends how lazy I am that day though
    SSC SLASH 4X4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •