RC Qualifier

Wider stance with wider-inset wheels? 2x4 front vs 2x4 rear vs 4x4? x-Proline 2723-00

I'm only three weeks into car RC'ing. I'm glad I started withe the Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate... I've really had no regrets in that choice.

I think I screwed up in a recent "glue-on" rim choice.

I got these at the advice of a local pro...
    Proline-Rims: "ProTrac Suspension Kit Renegade 2.2"/3.0" Black Wheels 2723-00"
    I got the package off the shelf in a RC pro shop.
    The package said the rims were for Slash front or rear... misleading http://prolineracing.com/wheels/prot...-piece-wheels/
    The mounting hub offset on these causes the wheels to be more narrow than Traxxas 4x4 stock wheels.
    And, even worse, they are also more narrow than either front or rear of a 2x4 Slash.
    It appears they are for use with "extended proline / protrac" suspension.

I failed to double check fit first, and I glued my shiny new AKA tires on them....all 4...
    http://www.raceaka.com/110-REBAR-SC-...air_p_405.html

Maybe I'll be able to sell them and get most of my money back?

After comparing things, I've seen that Traxxas Slash 2x4 front wheels are set for the widest stance.
    They are wider than 2x4 rear, and 4x4 standard..

Can I use 2x4 front wheels for all 4 wheels of my 4x4?

Pro-Line Split Six 2.2"/3.0" SC Wheels
    http://prolineracing.com/wheels/spli...-front-wheels/
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

RC Qualifier
    could always unglue them

I prefer the boiling method, then cleaning up the wheel and tire bead with acetone

search YouTube for a how-to video (just search "rc tire removal", and it's the first video that pops up). I'm not going to post the video since it's sponsored by another RC forum and that's against the forum rules
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Qualifier
    OK, Thanks....
    I'm a thinking... and I'm procrastinating...

RC Racer
    I learned one thing early on, the "guys" the LHS some times only know as much as you or sometimes less. Especially at the franchise locations. DO your research before you go and know part numbers.
    This will save you alot of headaches and expense.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard "it should work fine" only to not fit/work/ect.
    Slash 4x4
    MMM 2650
    Rustler VXL
    Emaxx

RC Champion
    you want to use rear slash 2wd wheel's all around. you would want the rear slit six.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    you want to use rear slash 2wd wheel's all around. you would want the rear slit six.
    Thanks guys.
    What is "rear slit six"?

Also, referring to rear slash 2wd wheels: Those are the widest option right? I was thinking that 2wd front might be the widest... I need to check...
    Widest is the best option right? I'm not worried about qualifying for races rules right now... I just need more stability in my life!

RC Champion
    Well if you are just trying to get more stability have you tried the sway bar kit? Different shock oil's and spring's can help with the high speed cornering.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    Well if you are just trying to get more stability have you tried the sway bar kit? Different shock oil's and spring's can help with the high speed cornering.
    This 4x4 Ultimate came with the Medium Sway-Bars installed, and the Heavy ones as spares. My truck doesn't lean much in turns, so I think the sway-bars are doing OK...

I was just thinking that the widest tires (I think 2x4 Front?) would reduce flipping over...

I'm about to experiment with shock oil and springs. My current stock-shock oil is about 40-50wt, and I still have stock springs in place.
    I tried adding preload spacers to get front arms slightly up-angle (body sagging slightly), and rear arms slightly down-angle (body up slightly), and that raised the truck a little from stock, and made it flip more... I'm back to out of the box ~1/8" spacers now. Front and back arms are slight sag.

I've only been doing this insane RC/truck thing for 3-weeks and I'm just now getting a feel for truck / suspension performace.

Your advice is appreciated as I try to learn & figure this out.
    Last edited by KewlToy; 01-30-2012 at 03:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Slash 4x2 front wheels have the most offset, 4x2 rears/4x4 all are in the middle, and pro-trac wheels have the least. More offset=wider stance. Problem is if you use wider wheels with the stock body, they will catch the outer edges of the wheel wells more. If your issue is traction rolling, stiffening the suspension with heavier shock oil, stiffer sway bars and setting the ride height lower help, a LCG chassis is the ultimate solution. With short course trucks, you don't have a ton of suspension travel, narrow track, and a high center of gravity. Something like the slayden setup is a good starting point, however running it as low and stiff as your track or bashing area allows will help with handling. If you follow the Slayden setup, you can turn almost as hard as you want onroad without rolling, flat dirt is no problem at all, but bumpy or uneven ground can give the occasioal flip, if you lower it a bit more than the slayden setup, or use a LCG chassis, you can turn full tilt on most any surface without rolling.
    Last edited by alucard0822; 01-30-2012 at 08:24 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info and tips... I guess the fender issue would be aggrevating...

RC Qualifier
    Slash 2wd front wheels will add 2mm of offset to each side, making your truck 4mm wider. This should still fit under your stock body.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I've been able to get my hands on two used 2wd fronts to experiment with...