RC Qualifier

Question Rhino Liner on body?

For any that have done this, to what extent do you go? As an inside coat after doing the 'pretty' paint job? Inside and outside for a rugged look/extra durability? I was thinking of just doing it inside, then masking off a circle of about 2 inch diameter on the outside around each mounting point for extra durability.

For any that have done some variation of this, just wondering how it held up, what you did, and if you'd even recommend it. Maybe the added weight would offset any benefits, I don't know. All I do know is I'm tearing my stock body up pretty good and looking ahead. And for product I was looking at either a rattle can or quart of Dupli Color Bed Armor.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I used drywall mesh tape and PL premium around all my mount holes and it holds up awesome. Others use the mesh tape and shoe goo also with great results. Never tried rhino lining though.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    I used drywall mesh tape and PL premium around all my mount holes and it holds up awesome. Others use the mesh tape and shoe goo also with great results. Never tried rhino lining though.
    That sounds like it actually may work to fix my current body. The majority of it's in great shape really, just the two rears aren't doing so well. I know I've seen a few threads on fixing existing bodies with such methods, I'll go look into that.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I curious why they don't use mounts like they do on the emaxx and have the pins go sideways rather than front to back. They'd have to move them in towards the middle a little but would be stronger. Rear mounts ripping through is a common problem.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

That is for sure. Some people use scrap pieces of lexan, Duck tape, shoe goo, And such. Thing about a whole body sprayed with liner is it will be pretty heavy. I am about to try the duplicolor bed liner on the outside of my body, just on the truck bed.

Thing about the stock body, is its REALLY thing. When u get a Proline, or even Jconcepts body in ur hands and see the difference, its crazy. Traxxas Stock bodies used to be really thick and REALLY durable. But for some reason they shifted to the really thin bodies. I dont know why.. But.... Its common for it to get messed up quick, especially around the mounts. Thats a battle we still deal with daily. There are things like cushion padding we use on the mounting holes to have some cushion.

But actually getting ur first after market body is a fun experience. That is definatly when ur truck takes its true personality. painting it is both alot of fun, and alittle annoying work to get everything right so it looks good, but its a great time. Ul need some lexan scissors, curved and straight and body reamer or drill for the holes, but they are SO much thicker and more durable than stock bodies, and last alot longer. But it is really a joy to first see it with your own uniqely painted body that really makes ur vehicle stand out from others. Great expereience

RC Qualifier
    AbSoLooT is right it is fun and rewarding when it comes out right and most bodies are more durable and thicker then stock ( the Pro-Line Raptor I run is .60 so that's the same as 1/8th truck bodys ). Start with a single colour to get used to it. I do recommend getting a body reamer as my stock body I drilled holes for body clip retainer and it slipped and messed up my body, a reamer makes a nicer hole.

RC Qualifier
    I'm 90% sure the wife is getting me the 50's Chev body for V-Day, yay! LHS has the lexan scissors and paint, and I already have some sweet Monster stickers to tastefully adorn the tailgate or something. Mmmmm
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    There is something special about prepping a new body to run. From trimming to paint, it's very satisfying...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Painting RC bodies has been really fun, I enjoy doing them to. Maybe not so much creativity as others but i'm getting there. I have 2 more that are needing my attention. I just made an order to Tower that includes a couple other paint colors and flame maskings. This should be fun and interesting.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore