RC Racer

rebuild time on diffs, but theres slope inside diff??

Time to rebuild or freshen up the diffs. I see oil stains on outside of bulkheads and inside of driveshafts. Plus broke my a arm and front bulkdhead rite by steeringing post where back mounting holes are. So its time to upgrade to those cvds. Any how few quick questions.(yes there 7030x bulkheads)
    1) is there suppose to be alot of oil on outside of bulkheads and inside on ring pinion or did that come from inside diff?

2) With my bulkheads removed from chassis and bolted together there was no slope of ring and pinion, but on the rear diff i could move the output shafts 1mm left and right, while the ring n pinion remained stationary inside bulkhead. Meaning slope was inside diff and i should put shims in there??

3)Should i try to seal off diff inside bulkheads with some sealant around where chassis meats the bulkheads, cuz i noticed my rear diff had alot more debris inside of it???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    1) More than likely, the differential leaked. I do not grease or oil my ring and pinon and they always come out damp when I do any maintenance.

2) I am sure you mean to type the word "slop" instead of "slope"... To diverge from the vertical or horizontal; incline: a roof that slopes.
    Bulkhead slop does not show itself until under stress... in other words you have to be using it.... so yes, shim it.

3) Sealing the bulkhead has been mentioned and tried by many with no reports back as to if it works or not... so I say try it if you want. PLEASE let us know how you did it (pictures are nice) and if it worked. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    LOL, yeah i meant slop i must of been thinking of snowboarding since we havent got any snow here in pa. Anyhow thanks for the quick response, but just to clarify are you saying its ok for me to put shims inside the diff cup housing or to just put shims where mentioned in your setting up bulkhead thread?? I gotta think of the right stuff for job but when i do ill post some pics and give it a thorough testing, cuz i love the mud!!

Follow the thread.
    The gears in the cup itself rarely slip.... like I have never heard of them stripping. lol

RC Racer
    kool ill find out when my cvds come in I just watched a youtube vid that took apart diff cup to install cvds, very different design then my t-maxx with brushless diffs. I guess id put the shims behind the pin from what i see. Im gonna run stock summit rear arms(gonna have to shave them like i seen on forum somewhere) so i want very little slop in my diff cups. I measured 1mm slop(thrust, shifting left to right) i cant image any more being better and its just gonna wear more.

The 1/16 cups don't need shims... the cup is actually metal unlike the 1/10 version. (Wouldn't that would be nice!)
    It is the bulkhead itself that needs shimmed.

RC Racer
    rite on ill take your word for it, you the man!

I imagine you will agree once you tear into it.

RC Qualifier
    I rebuilt the rear differential on my summit (my first time taking the truck a parts in 1 month ownership ).
    A lot of dust, and stripped particles got into the differential, and the m3/10 screw that holding the diff and the shaft, so I managed to stripped the hex of the m3/10 on the side that Jimmie recommends for the shim so I can't separate the diff from the rest).
    Not much option left, i had to put the 2 shims on the other side of the diff and move on.
    I ran hard yesterday with lot of wheelies and flipping, and the truck is ok

RC Racer
    thats funny im at one month also. I just picked my bulkdhead,bumpers,aarms,steel hollow balls, from lhs but they cant get the cvds, pivot ball adjusters, or shims for diff. Looks like ill be goin to amain for the rest. plus i just got a pit in my stomach when i looked at recipt and they charged me 45 for a 2200lipo traxxas pack. I mean thats retail(retail is for suckers) and i got two, i coulda got another battery for free at that price if i got it online. Looks like ill be takin those back!!

$45 a pack... two packs...
    hmmmm....

You can get 9 *****'s delivered for that price!

RC Racer
    i ordered the packs through the lhs and the computer automatically made it retail, i called him and im gettin thirty back, so they were only thirty a piece. Thank goodness

RC Enthusiast
    Jimmie, i need you,

I'm rebuilding my mini Summit and i found the same problem than t-maxxy

Some slop inside the diff, about 1mm each side.

What do you think? normal? internal shimming?

Thanks!

RC Racer
    i finally got my summit/revo shimmed up. i didnt worry about slop inside cuz i packed it full of 100k traxxas diff oil and id say maybe fifty percent of that internal slop went away. granted my diff was completely dry,lol. Id say there has to be a lil play in there cuz of the design inside metal on metal too tight will only wear down more, but idk, but i do know to take jimmies advice and i ended up with two shims on ring side. But beware if running cvds:shiming the way my truck needed. it moved my diff over to passenger side causing my dogbone shaft to run extremely close to coming out of cups(i still have extended rear arms making it worse) so i screwed in the pivot balls equally one turn. Oh and i just bashed for like an hour n half off two 2cell 2200 lipos at local hills climbes so far up i couldnt see the truck ne more looked like a little spec,lol. No breaks, YES!!

Sweet!
    Sorry it took so long to get to the thread. I am glad everything is all worked out!

Happy Bashing!

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, i'll refill with oil and see what happens with slop from inside...