Thinking about getting higher mAh and xxC ******** lipos

RC poster
    NiMH
    2 x stock 3000 MAH
    2 x Onyx 5000 MAH

RC poster
    2x Maxx Amps 2s 6500mah 150c

RC Qualifier
    I've now amassed 8 3000mah traxxas 7 cell batteries. Looking forward to picking up some spc 8200 mah lipos when they are back in stock.

RC Racer
    Ive got a pair of SPC 2s 20c 8000mah ....great batteries
    Ive been using them for well over two years and they still work like new. Always charge and balance in a timely manner to 4.2 volts per cell every time.
    I also have a pair of Hyperion 2s 5000mah 45c...they are equally as good

I also have some venom 5000mah 40 c ....they are junk
    SUMMIT
    ERBE
    Peed4X42400
    ThunderTigerMT4-G3

RC Qualifier
    4 * 8.4 3000mAh Nimh.... lipos? maybe soon?

RC Qualifier
    2 SPC 8200MaH 30C

They aren't advertised as waterproof but these have survived multiple submergences. woops...

I use them in my Summit and in my 1/10 on-road car Tamiya TT-01(1 @ a time of course).
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

I don't run the spc yet at least, may have to trim the battery vents for the wires some do some don't someone running them will chime in. The 8200 are popular. I have a couple of sets of 5000 and a set of 5200 gens ace.no complaints so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw10 View Post
    Hello, previously banned member. It didn't take you long to return. And goodbye, troll.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Hello, previously banned member. It didn't take you long to return. And goodbye, troll.
    get em pa!

I'm running:
    2 x 8200mah 30c SMC (got em on sale for like $15 off + free shipping, which is awesome)
    2 x 3000mah Traxxas stocks (to limp home/play in the yard)

May get another pair or the SMC if they go on sale again. Or SPC...I guess it depends on if I can parallel charge them all together if they're the same mah and C rating but different brands, hrm.

@Jamann - if the SPC are anything like my SMC (which they look nearly identical in the pics) the wires come out in an upwards direction. My SMC could fit without trimming the vents, but they were kinked pretty good. Once I trimmed the vents and moved the holding tabs around though, they fit like a glove. Again though, the SMC and SPC wiring could exit a bit differently, for instance if the SPC comes more straight out then you may just have to move the adjusters more toward one end and run the wires out the normal path.

Either way you're fine though.

*edit* Here's a thread, looks like you can either cut the vents like I did, or kink it in there like Pave.
    Last edited by Toyboarder; 03-03-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys when running lipos in your summit are you useing the Evx-2? cause i thought it didnt have a LVC or LVD. (i guess the new #5607 summit comes with it built in the evx).

I was just wondeirng how you guys are running the lipos. cause i have the evx-2 and would love to run a pair of 2s lipos.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-04-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by afol2524 View Post
    Hey guys when running lipos in your summit are you useing the Evx-2? cause i thought it didnt have a LVC or LVD. (i guess the new #5607 summit comes with it built in the evx).

I was just wondeirng how you guys are running the lipos. cause i have the evx-2 and would love to run a pair of 2s lipos.
    Low voltage alarm on the bec side pack. eBay has a bunch of different ones inexpensive and some are programmable for cut off and display voltage as well

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Low voltage alarm on the bec side pack. eBay has a bunch of different ones inexpensive and some are programmable for cut off and display voltage as well
    They look just like this Venom one (see the "Picture Gallery" on that page for the front side of the alarm - good marketing there, Venom ), but are much cheaper. My closest LHS has them on the shelf for list price.

RC Qualifier

So its that simple? 2s lipos and 1 LVA on the BEC side??

Im going to have to do that haha.
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by afol2524 View Post
    So its that simple? 2s lipos and 1 LVA on the BEC side??

Im going to have to do that haha.
    What voltage should the LVA be set at? with the 2s lipo should it be at 3.5v?
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

I set mine at 3.5 just for a bit of extra buffer could go lower but the batts seem happier with the extra buffer

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    This thread makes more sense to me than ever after burning through my stock batteries multiple times yesterday. My youngest boy kept asking if it was ready yet...

So it looks like I'll be upgrading to some 8000+ mah's soon.

RC Qualifier
    Matt,

I must got the traxxas lipos 7600 from the local hobby shop, I'm not sure if we can mention names on here, I will let you know how they workout.

We have three summits. I just bought the hi tec x4 charger too. I also have two triton charges left. I can charge 6 at once.

My goal is two have two sets of lipos soon for all three so we can run and run and run!

We go to Boyce park and go hiking with the summits.

Jim
    Three Summits

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Matt,

I must got the traxxas lipos 7600 from the local hobby shop, I'm not sure if we can mention names on here, I will let you know how they workout.

We have three summits. I just bought the hi tec x4 charger too. I also have two triton charges left. I can charge 6 at once.

My goal is two have two sets of lipos soon for all three so we can run and run and run!

We go to Boyce park and go hiking with the summits.

Jim
    Good info, thanks. I bought an icharger 206b, seems it came with a balance board and some extra connections for lipo's but I haven't given it much thought since I just started running it yesterday. I was going to get some nimh's while I get familiar with the truck but after looking at the prices of them, seems going lipo for the added run time would be more cost effective.

I'll send you a pm about the hobby store, thanks again.

RC poster
    will either of these one fit the summit's battery compartment ?

******* **** tech 12.8mah

and

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBLND&P=ML

RC Competitor
    Looks like the SPC's are back in stock. I ordered a set of 8200 30C 2S's last night (along with a lipo bag and some connectors for my 206b). I doubt it'll be here in time for the weekend so I'll have to "suffer" through another weekend with stock batteries.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattinpa View Post
    Looks like the SPC's are back in stock. I ordered a set of 8200 30C 2S's last night (along with a lipo bag and some connectors for my 206b). I doubt it'll be here in time for the weekend so I'll have to "suffer" through another weekend with stock batteries.
    +1 on the 8200's. Just got mine last week and have only put two charge cycles on them but easily got 1.5 hrs out of them. That was about half crawling, half bashing and half pulling my kids in their wagon up and down the street. Yea there is that much juice in them....

Bye bye stock packs...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I don't run the spc yet at least, may have to trim the battery vents for the wires some do some don't someone running them will chime in. The 8200 are popular. I have a couple of sets of 5000 and a set of 5200 gens ace.no complaints so far.

What sort of shipping and duty charges do you get when buying batteries from the USA? Was looking at the Gens Ace batteries from Hobby Parts, but don't want a big surprise when the get here.

Thanks

ps still running stock batteries, just got my Summit last Friday. Need lipos bad.

I haven't payed anything extra yet.
    I use USPS.regular mail so far so good. It was shipping $9.99 Canada.took a while but got running them and they work fine.will be getting some of the above packs spc 8700...

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Last edited by jamann; 03-20-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Cool, thanks.
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    They look just like this Venom one (see the "Picture Gallery" on that page for the front side of the alarm - good marketing there, Venom ), but are much cheaper. My closest LHS has them on the shelf for list price.
    Maxamps also got one. (For 20 dollars)
    This is a signature.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    What sort of shipping and duty charges do you get when buying batteries from the USA? Was looking at the Gens Ace batteries from Hobby Parts, but don't want a big surprise when the get here.

Thanks

ps still running stock batteries, just got my Summit last Friday. Need lipos bad.
    I haven't payed anything extra yet.
    I use USPS.regular mail so far so good. It was shipping $9.99 Canada.took a while but got running them and they work fine.will be getting some of the above packs spc 8700...

Hey jamann,

I ended up ordering some batteries from SPC. I don't think I'll be doing that again. Shipping was almost $30 and I was charged $19.15 in duty. So the 47 dollar batteries ended up being 70 dollar batteries when all was said and done. Oh the joys of ordering things from the US when you live in Canada. I guess next time I'll Order from China, shipping will be about the same, maybe less, and I won't be charged duty.
    Tekin powered Summit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    Hey jamann,

I ended up ordering some batteries from SPC. I don't think I'll be doing that again. Shipping was almost $30 and I was charged $19.15 in duty. So the 47 dollar batteries ended up being 70 dollar batteries when all was said and done. Oh the joys of ordering things from the US when you live in Canada. I guess next time I'll Order from China, shipping will be about the same, maybe less, and I won't be charged duty.
    But the spc batts are very good quality
    So may be worth the extra in the long run

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Your right, I was just a little surprised to be charged $20 duty. There still cheaper than an equivalent battery purchased here in Canada and that's before our good ol 5% Federal tax and 9.5% Provincial tax(Quebec).

So here is my official list of batteries at this time,

2x Traxxas 3000 mah Nimh
    2x Venom 5000 mah 25c Lipo
    2x SPC 6000mah 30c Lipo
    Tekin powered Summit

RC Qualifier
    I got the spc 8200 mah lipos last week and really like them. They are a tight fit in the summit.

I will say this though, in hindsight I might have gone for 2 sets of the 5000 mah ones instead. They cost about half but would have given me about 2000 mah more in capacity.

I got a couple more SPC Racing 8200s a coupe weeks ago. I have never had more square-edged packs than these "rigid-case" packs.

RC Competitor
    ******* 5000mah 50c 2s
    ******* 5200mah 60c 3s (e-revo)
    ******* ********** 6000 mah 40c 2s
    " " 7200mah 40c 2s

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    first time lipo user here, LOL.
    I got myself a 2x 5000mah 2S1P 50C-100C Gens Ace and my old nihm 2x 4500mah 7cell<-----i dont think i'll ever use them again now that i got my lipos. next purchase will be 3s lipos by this upcoming RCX in Long Beach.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

RC Competitor
    4 x ******* ********** 7600Mah 40-80c
    They fit perfectly in my Summit and slash 4x4, and give them both a rediculous amount of punch.
    I'm running a XL 1600KV Castle NEU in my Summit with MMM and even though the castle website recommends a minimum of 20-30C lipos, the 40-80C makes a huuuuge difference. Over an hour run time in series too.
    Highly recommend!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-26-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Content

RC Qualifier
    I myself just ordered a set of the SPC 6000 mah 30c lipos for the EMaxx I'm picking up tomorrow. Spent 15 minutes on the phone with Tom from SPC, stand up guy.

Please keep it on topic gentlemen.
    -ksb51rl

RC Enthusiast
    We got:

2 * Traxxas Stock NiMH 3000 mAh
    2 * Racers Edge NiMH 5000mAh

BR// Steen
    Last edited by seh2000; 04-27-2012 at 10:31 AM.

RC Competitor
    ******* ********** 7600Mah 40-80c. After 2.5 hours of rock crawling the cells still have 3.78V left. Don't need to carry spare batteries with me anymore

RC poster
    2x 3000mah factory ones
    2x 5000mah factory ones
    2x 5100mah ***** lipos left over from last RC project
    4x ******* 7600mah ********s
    I have not used any lipos yet as i broke an axle with the standard ones and my LVA only just showed. Really looking forwad to see how these go.
    Cheers
    Simon