Thread: ESC problems.

RC Qualifier

ESC problems.

I am having a hard time keeping a good esc on my Slash. I am just wondering if I am doing anything wrong? I have been through four of them with three different motor combos. First the original vxl3 started smoking, then a mamba max pro started having major cogging issues, then a duratrax (castle) stopped giving power to the motor, then a brand new mamba max pro doesn't even turn on after its first run today. The switch is okay and it is getting power. I mount my esc's straight to my aluminum chassis via servo tape. Do you guys think the vibrations are shocking the esc. I have a mamba max pro on my losi with no issues, but it is mounted on plastic.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    I don't think the chassis would be causing it.. Do you have your truck geared correctly? Ive never had any problems with my motor or esc's (knock on wood).. I have them mounted on plastic, stainless steel, aluminum and all..

Give us everything you have on your truck: Wheels, servos, gearing, body, radio system. There might be something with your setup that is frying your ESCs. Also, make sure that your drive train is rolling smoothly.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

What battery are you using? If Venom, do you use the multi connector?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Today i was running stock servo, stock receiver and radio, 15/52 gears, Proline split six 1/8 buggy wheels, mamba max pro sct 1415/2400kv combo, slash body, and ssc lcg chassis. Gear mesh is good and rolls good.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    What battery are you using? If Venom, do you use the multi connector?
    Was running a gens ace 4s 5000 mah 40c hard pack.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Each esc has had different symptoms. Vxl smoked everytime i tried plugging it in, first mmp cogged motor really bad, duratrax stopped giving motor power and didnt beep when turned on, and last mmp wont turn on at all. Tried to connect it to castle link and the connector got really hot.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierravmax View Post
    Was running a gens ace 4s 5000 mah 40c hard pack.
    That looks like a likely cause to me. I run my Slash 4x4 on 3S at times but I know temps rise considerably when I do. Going to a 4S it wouldn't surprise me that you are running really hot.

The MMP can handle 4s but the VXL cannot handle it. There is probably something wrong with the battery. Do you have others to try?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    The MMP should not have done that, If you used 4s with VXL then thats why you smoked it.

RC Qualifier
    I will elaborate more. The vxl was run on 2s/3s, 1st mamba max pro 2s/3s, duratrax 2s, 2nd mamba max pro on one run on 4s which also was the first run for the battery. The bec in the esc seems to be shorted out. Im not sure if a battery could do this. Also these all are spread across two months.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Enthusiast
    I am pretty new to the hobby but in the past 2 days I have witnessed 2 VXL3's go belly up. We haven't owned these units from new but I know
    1. neither was very old
    2. both ran very, hot at one point
    3. one was running a 4800 Castle and with a big pinion gear and 3s
    4. both ran a fair bit on 3s

I can see the stock ESC going south with 3s usage as I have witnessed very high motor and ESC temps (258 was highest I measured which was on mine which is still running) but to fry the MMP I have no idea what is happening. I am running a MMP with a 3800 now in my one Slash and running indoors I have yet to measure a temp over 123 and that is with no fan on ESC or motor as well as no heatsink.
    Batteries...... can't see that being issue. #1 you have run different batteries and it still happens #2 can't really see how a battery could smoke an ESC with no other signs - or for that matter how it would do it at all.

Water ??? with MMP? maybe even stock VXL3?
    Just a stab in the dark.....