RC Racer

Slash 4x4 Big bore shocks question

I am pretty new to rc trucks. But i just upgraded my shocks on my slash to the big bore and i am not happy with how soft they are....so my question is what are some replacement springs i can buy to put in the big bore shocks that will fit to make it stiffer? And where can i get them? I tried to spacers but still was not happy. thanks...

RC poster
    Try a thicker shock fluid, stock fluid is 5000 weight.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash basher 89 View Post
    Try a thicker shock fluid, stock fluid is 5000 weight.
    What??? I would love to see how a Slash handles with 5000wt fluid in the shocks.

Lffd927,
    Where did you get the shocks and what springs do you have on them now?

RC Racer
    front shock number is 5859 and rear is 5860 i bought the set on ebay..... the shock springs are white with a red spot on the top. the stock springs were white with a black spot on the top of shock.....I did order some 30wt oil but have not got it yet. I will be racing on the 11th of feb on a banked clay 1/10 oval and am trying to get things ready

RC Qualifier
    Those springs with the red dot on them are the progressive springs for the big bore shocks. They are a little soft You can use the stock black dot springs, but you may have to replace the upper and lower spring retainers. Traxxas has progressive springs in different rates for the 4x4. You can also use Losi springs.

I'm not sure if they fit big bores but I like the T Max red springs.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    The T-Maxx springs will fit the big bores if you swap out the big bore upper and lower spring retainers for the ultra shock retainers.

RC Enthusiast
    I used my original springs with the new big bore shocks. I also used the old upper and lower spring retainers, the uppers are slightly sloppy, but work fine... I couldn't figure out what weight shock oil came with the new ones, so i put in some 30 wt that i already had. I've had the truck out a couple times now. Seems good to me

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ebig View Post
    I used my original springs with the new big bore shocks. I also used the old upper and lower spring retainers, the uppers are slightly sloppy, but work fine... I couldn't figure out what weight shock oil came with the new ones, so i put in some 30 wt that i already had. I've had the truck out a couple times now. Seems good to me
    Yup, the Ultra shock spring retainers will be a little sloppy on the big bores shocks. Using the ultra shock retainers will allow you to use a greater variety of springs from Traxxas or Losi.