RC poster

1/16 E-Revo VXL 17 MPH out the box

I recently purchased this truck after reading so many great reviews here. I purchased it from my LHS. On my 2nd battery charge, I decided to strap my small Garmin jogging GPS to it to check the 30 MPH claim on stock single Nimh battery and stock truck setup. To my disappointment, the truck only toped out to a little over 17. I verified the ECS was in Sport mode. I email support and they mention either the slipper needs tighten or the battery needed a few more cycle. I don't understand why the slipper would effect top speed. I'm getting ready to mail it back to Traxxas but decided to ask here. I search the forum and could not find anyone with similar issue. Any help would be appreciated.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If the slipper is too loose, it will slip.
    A slipping slipper that slips slows RC kits.

Since this is really close to half speed...
    I would triple check the ESC mode and Tx settings as well.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    i havent clocked mine with the stock nimh, i went li-po right away, have ran the nimh a few times though and id say it is pretty slow, not sure about 17mph but its slow on mine as well, with a 2s 25c 2200mah lipo however i know for a fact im doing close to 35mph as it stays right in line with my nitro truck and its geared for about 38 mph...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    Throw two Nimh and run it serial and see what it drives.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilitytoday View Post
    Throw two Nimh and run it serial and see what it drives.
    super serial

RC Champion
    just dont run it alot or for a long time with 2xnimh's in series or youll burn it up, its stated right in the manual as well as everyone on here will tell you the same from experience...

Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    just dont run it alot or for a long time with 2xnimh's in series or youll burn it up, its stated right in the manual as well as everyone on here will tell you the same from experience...
    +1
    100% correct.

RC Competitor
    I have that setup and I haven't burnt it up yet but I guess it's just a matter of time. It does haul da mail but I never actually clocked to c how fast it was going.

RC poster
    Thank you all for the sugesstions. I did recheck the transmitter and syncing the transmitter to the ECS and no luck. I will call Traxxas again after tighten the slipper.

question, are you sure your battery is fully charged? are you using the stock charger that comes with it or a peak charger? a peak charger will make sure it charges full. and charge no more than 1amp to have the battery last a few months atleast or so.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    Hi Mike. I just bought a Duratrax 235 and topped off the nimh again just to be sure. The car still run slow. I will try again with the gps but this time put the body back on.

RC poster
    I wonder if Traxxas meant 30 mph out the box using the std battery and high speed pinion gear?

i really think your speed controller is set to training mode.... mine was rocket fast out of the box, on 1 nimh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alc21TN View Post
    I wonder if Traxxas meant 30 mph out the box using the std battery and high speed pinion gear?

actually, the high speed pinion gear makes the car go slower on 1 battery

it is designed for using 2 batteries in series to keep the temperature down.... it is the dual batteries that increses the speed, not the high speed pinion gear

RC Qualifier
    Wrong. That is completely incorrect. One battery has nothing to do nor will effect the car.

Explain yourself, mobility today.
    The reason I ask, is what Jimbo said is 100% true.

RC Qualifier
    The gear runs at the same. The batteries run in serial make gear run twice as fast. Running the gear at a lower power isn't going to damage the high speed gear at all.

Gear runs at the same??? Same what?

Serial running makes the motor spin twice as fast, yes.
    This is because you are doubling the voltage.

Jimbo said nothing about damaging the high speed pinion...

it isn't going to hurt the gear itself physically, it will fry the electronics...... excessive heat fries electronics

the speed pinion is a smaller pinion designed to make the vehicle run at a lower temperature while running increased voltage

RC Qualifier
    I recently purchased this truck after reading so many great reviews here. I purchased it from my LHS. On my 2nd battery charge, I decided to strap my small Garmin jogging GPS to it to check the 30 MPH claim on stock single Nimh battery and stock truck setup. To my disappointment, the truck only toped out to a little over 17. I verified the ECS was in Sport mode. I email support and they mention either the slipper needs tighten or the battery needed a few more cycle. I don't understand why the slipper would effect top speed. I'm getting ready to mail it back to Traxxas but decided to ask here. I search the forum and could not find anyone with similar issue. Any help would be appreciated.
    Add the High Speed Gear, worked for me!
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

I agree to make sure the esc is not in traning mode. sounds like it, i mentioned the battery as no body has mentioned it, if you have an extra battery around weather it is for the 1/16 or not and has a trx connector on it try it and see if the car goes any faster but its recommend to try another series 1 battery or the same size to determine if its the battery or not or if its your esc.
    is the esc getting hot at all and the motor?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    I'm wondering if maybe the battery is bad? I know when ive had them go bad the car loses all its punch, and speed
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Racer
    checked mine today. 28mph stock 2 nimh in parallel. thats whats sweet about having a neighbor thats a cop.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriser0 View Post
    checked mine today. 28mph stock 2 nimh in parallel. thats whats sweet about having a neighbor thats a cop.
    and thats with the added wieght of another pack in there, not to shabby at all.... i ran my single nimh just a hour or two ago to breakin my diff shim job, if the esc was in lipo mode or set in trainer mode, prolly about 15 to 17mph, poped it out of those modes and id say about 25mph, id say you got a bad cell in your pack, or your esc isnt set right....

RC poster
    Turns out you guys hit the nail right on the head. I changed the ecs to racing mode and ran it with the body on and the gps registered 27.3 mph. Yeeha! I'm a happy man. Thanks to everyone in this conversation.
    Last edited by Alc21TN; 01-28-2012 at 10:16 PM.

RC Champion
    Turns out you guys hit the nail right on the head. I changed the ecs to racing mode and ran it with the body on and the gps registered 27.3 mph. Yeeha! I'm a happy man. Thanks to everyone in this conversation.
    haha yes, cool man, and like i said i new mine was slow just didnt seem 17mph slow... get yourself a 2s lipo and youll be doing 35mph, pretty big jump for the next time you feel like an upgrade...