RC Racer

how dangerous are lipo

I went to my locale hobbie shop today and the guy there told me I should have some kind of fire bag for them.are they dangerous only when charging or do I have to worry about them when I just have them sitting of charge 2 ? he was telling me about his budy who had his house burn down right before christmas

RC Qualifier
    There really not that bad if you make sure to, Charge in a Lipo bag and store them in one when not in use is what I do. Keep a close eye on them when charging, and read the manufactures instructions of usage / charging ect ect. And you should be just fine, nihm packs are not pretty when they go up in smoke/fire, I'm sure there are some on YouTube. So there is a risk to charging really any battery IMO.
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

^^^Looks like the NY Metro area is checking in.
    Should you charge and store in a fire-safe bag or container? Of course. It doesn't matter which chemistry you use - there is a LOT of energy stored in today's batteries. Example: I threw a freshly-charged transmitter pack (8 AA NiMH batteries in a holder) into my leather briefcase one evening at my office. I soon started asking "What is that burning plastic smell?" It turns out that the contacts for the holder had shorted on something in my briefcase and the heating only stopped when the coiled contacts on the negative ends of the cells flattened due to the heat and meted totally into the plastic of the holder.

Treat any battery with respect, care for it, don't leave it alone when charging, and you'll be fine.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Lol good old new york, and I do both store/charge my fat fingers little phone buttons syndrome

RC Racer
    thank's guy's just trying not to burn down my house.one more question.how long is it ok to leave them with a full charge?

RC Qualifier
    I always put mine in store mode when not in use, of course you just need to read the manufactures recommendation on what they call for? Some on here I'm sure will say 24hrs to 48hrs then after that they will put in storage mod if not using, I guilty of doing this a hand full of times myself. Still have the house and the r/cs and the packs are 100% like new.

RC poster
    I know when I bought my Lipo's it said that they are poisonous and I am wondering what is Poisonous. Is it the fumes or is it the liquid that is inside them.

RC Champion
    hhmmmm..... no expert here, but, don't think there's a liquid inside the batteries..... I believe most batteries are poisonous if ingested. Just MHO.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

No liquid I'm aware of but the metals and how they react are poisonous as are the fumes if they were to start on fire (well anything that is on fire gives off poisonous fumes ). Why ask? Sure hope you don't plan on eating one or giving one to the dog for a treat.
    Don't be scared of lipo batteries. Sure there are dangers but many times we get too focused on the small percentage of mishaps and videos showing fires that we disregard the majority that have no issues at all.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-30-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Yes, I started out with electric helis that use lipos. I was a complete noob but I never had a problem with my batteries.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Enthusiast
    What happens to lipos if they get wet?
    (From driving in snow, wathersplash etc).
    Is it dangerous to try charge them or are they already smoked and ready for recycle?
    Summit 1/10,dW
    Digger 1/16,2.4z,4wd,XL5,LED
    SPC

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSize View Post
    What happens to lipos if they get wet?
    (From driving in snow, wathersplash etc).
    Is it dangerous to try charge them or are they already smoked and ready for recycle?
    I have gotten my batteries wet and have not had any problem with them