Thread: Using Lipos

RC Qualifier

Using Lipos

Guys.. I am a little confused..

When you use your LIPO do you run the car till the battery dies? Or do you stop prior? Reason for me asking is this explanation below?

The other thing that will heat a pack up fast is if you push it right down to or lower than 3.0 volts per cell under load. Even if you have a 40C pack and can only draw half that amount, if you push it hard right down to 3 volts per cell - it will become very warm/hot and will shorten its life substantially.

No you stop your car, make sure your esc has LVD and its turned on. a lipo should never never be ran till dead it will be ruined and might catch fire if its done more than 1 time. your LVD will stop the pack at the right voltage before any damaged happens to it. i wouldnt run my lipo any farther than 3.4v per cell. just to be safe, some will go down to 3v but i perfer 3.4v, helps the pack last longer and i charge slower only at 1c same as battery cap or slighty below.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Ahhhh!! Thanks Mike.. So as long as I set my Slash to Green on the ESC it will automatically cutoff at 3.4?

the lvd on the esc should be preset to a set "V" what esc do you have? if its the vxl any of them it is set right to not damage your lipo. yes green light on the esc is right in lipo mode.

RC Qualifier
    I have the vxl 3s....

then its preset to the right cut off, not excalty sure what setting havent seen traxxas state what it is yet but some say 3.2-3.6v which will be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Great thank you both very much for the info!! I learned something today!!