Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddaniels View Post
    do you know what the dementions are on those 6ah ****'s that you are using?? also did you have the tall battery holders or are you using the stock ones.
    Ummm stock battery holders, but I cut the sides off them. The 6ah are just a touch too big really. I bet the 5ah ****'s would fit really well.

The hangup is the width, they just get squeezed into the trays and deform a little. Thats never good....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    double post!

RC Racer
    Thanks d

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Page 2 isn't loading... so I hope this isn't a repeat....

But I worked on the XO this weekend, and found a sheared pin in the front driveshaft. Had to press the broken bit out with another pin.

Looks like it was still sending power, so I still don't know why the car pulls eratically. I figured I'd change up the diffs, and I pulled both. They felt about the same, the rear a bit stiffer.

That means the rear has loosened up, because it has 500k, and I think stock front is 100k? After looking at them a few times I lost track of which one is which, so I put the stiffer feeling one up front, and then cleaned out the rear. I put 30k in the rear, and it feels much looser now. I'm hoping thick up front and loose in the rear gets the car tracking straight again.

That gets me back to stock... and the day it was new the car tracked perfectly. If its still pulls this weekend... well I've run out of ideas.
    Last edited by ducati777; 03-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.

RC Competitor
    I think the manual says 100k in the front and 10k in the rear.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

cured....

The crazy handling on the XO has been driving me nuts. I changed diff fluid, checked alignment, and it still was impossilbe to drive.

On a side note, I've been repairing rc cars, mostly for fun, but I certainly charge. I've been getting a decent amount of work too. I was frustrated that if someone said hey my XO-1 isn't handling right, I'd have to turn the job down because I'm incompetent!

This ends today!!!!

For testing, I put the car in locked mode and was just doing medium speed pulls down my neighborhood street (~45mph). The tracking was all over the place, I noticed that the steering never really returns to the same spot.

Now I've identified a (the?) problem...

Earlier in the day I replaced the front left A -arm. I was looking at these hinge pin caps.

I thought maybe they were offset, and it was a way to adjust front kickup. How cool would that be? I pulled out the manual and didn't see anything about it, so just put the front end back together.

But while flipping through the manual, I noticed the instructions to pull 6 screws to get the whole front assembly off.

I decided to swap out the servo and pulled the front assembly. Putting a new servo in was a little tricky.

(customer's 4tec in top right, old rotor for holding screws at bottom left)

Following the stock wire route looked like the best choice, although additional work. I threaded the wire back into the rx box, and had a nice looking install.

Then I grabbed the front assembly and worked the steering... lot of friction there...

My next goal was to eliminate as much friction as I could. While generally frowned upon, I squirted lithium grease into every joint. I noticed the akerman rack had some friction, and backed the screws out a touch.

It still feels tight, but turns much more smoothly. I re-assembled the car and headed out for a test run. I'm losing light, but it was tracking beautifully. I zinged it up and jumped on the brakes... 65 mph, and no drama. Wow... now we've got potential! (hey wasn't this thing locked???)

So in the end I think the cure is pull the front assembly, and follow the friction. Because of the grease, I'll probably be doing this again soon.
    Last edited by ducati777; 03-13-2012 at 08:02 PM.

RC Racer
    im confused lol , so it was your servo that was causing the issue?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't know for sure. Friction in the steering is bad, and now that I'm aware of the issue I'll check more often by removing the link from the servo horn and checking that it moves freely.

I had a marathon bash session yesterday. I checked the steering and it's moving very freely now. Maybe hours of road course running would have fixed it too?

I like the snappy steering, so it's still a decent upgrade. I'm happy to have my handling back.
    Last edited by ducati777; 03-18-2012 at 07:10 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Another high mileage day. Ran my 6ah ****'s to the LVC, and put almost a full run on the 5.8's.

Picked up a lot of rash today... had some terrible high speed hits into the curb, off other cars, whatever I could find it seemed.

We ran at a construction zone where workers had just layed down new blacktop, but it was coated in dust, and had several rocks. I kept finding rocks at speed, some would send me into the air, one let me pull a pretty decent wheelie. I've got some new scrapes in the chasis.

The skirt took a beating, but nothing really broke. The front end seems more loose than usual. I tried to be conscious of the tires, and they still look pretty good.

The body is starting to look terrible. Its crinkled in the front quite a bit, a decent amount of rash... But its not tearing, and doesn't have any holes.... so I'm split on whether to replace it or not.

RC Racer
    Hold out for a clear body, and go to town! I have several bodies, but "I am scared" when I put a new body on because I hate to risk scratching it. I actually have more fun with a beat-up body because it doesn't matter. Will you bash hard with a new body????????
    Last edited by BSC; 03-31-2012 at 08:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow you got new tires on it alraedy too. Are those Xo1 tires on different wheels on the rear. Now I see how you know it shoots dust like Wile e Coyote.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Rough day. Hard to control, low 80's were about the best I could do.

RC Qualifier
    Yours is living a tough life but it belongs to a skilled RC doctor so it lives on. I wonder what the count would be so far of XO-1's retired to closets & basements forever only to be left abandoned with thier SHATTERED dreams and BROKEN hopes.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSC View Post
    Hold out for a clear body, and go to town!
    All my other cars are yellow... it'd be fun to do a yellow paint on a XO... But I'm a pretty terrible painter... I'd hate to paint a XO and have it flake... might be easier to just stick with factory bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by judgegixxer View Post
    Wow you got new tires on it alraedy too. Are those Xo1 tires on different wheels on the rear.
    When I needed rears, Traxxas said they were out... then I noticed there was a different part number for dish wheels... and those were in stock. So its a Traxxas wheel... just an optional part, and slightly cheaper than the normal rim.

Quote Originally Posted by judgegixxer View Post
    Yours is living a tough life but it belongs to a skilled RC doctor so it lives on. I wonder what the count would be so far of XO-1's retired to closets & basements forever only to be left abandoned with thier SHATTERED dreams and BROKEN hopes.
    I'd hate to think there's an abandoned XO out there... its far too new to give up on. I ran mine quite a bit this weekend, ran both Saturday and Sunday... I smashed it up, but I'll fix it, and run again next weekend...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    When I needed rears, Traxxas said they were out... then I noticed there was a different part number for dish wheels... and those were in stock. So its a Traxxas wheel... just an optional part, and slightly cheaper than the normal rim.
    Thats good to know. The dish ones would probably be the right setup for whoever is trying to get an all out speed record with it.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Qualifier
    ducati777 I like what you have done but the grease fix sounds like it should only last for so long with a car going so fast. I also installed a new high speed servo the other day , I did not have to pull the front end to do this , all I did was unscrew the bottom two screws under that hold the servo mount to the chassis from below , pull the wires and just pull the servo out and put mine in , only pain I could say was routing those wires back correctly to the receiver box but with a bit of patience it worked out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post
    , I did not have to pull the front end to do this ...
    Hmmm, you might be right. I was thinking I might have been able to do it with the front clip on.

So far the steering has remained free, but the crazy handling seems to be an ongoing issue. I'll get it to drive straight for a weekend, then the next I'm back to wild swerving.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Hmmm, you might be right. I was thinking I might have been able to do it with the front clip on.

So far the steering has remained free, but the crazy handling seems to be an ongoing issue. I'll get it to drive straight for a weekend, then the next I'm back to wild swerving.
    Just to let you know when I took mine for that test drive, it was VERY sensitive to the tilt of the road itself (crown). It would pull left on the leftside of centerline and right on the rightside of center. So when you get the trim dialed in straight for the rightside of road, make sure you are ready to grab it if you go to leftside or it's gone! Thats probably not your prob at all though just thought you might wanna know that the any tilt seems to have a big effect.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't have much experience with road crown, I'm typically in a parking lot...

But I agree, the car seems very senstive. I'm not sure what the issue is, my Slash tracks better than this car, and they use a very similar steering rack....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did some rc work last night, got a customer car done, and then turned to the XO-1. It had a broken link, and smashed side skirt.

Now I certainly have the means to replace parts at will... but I really like trying to get the most rc value for my dollar. Instead of buying a new skirt, I've attemped a repair on the broken one.

Mounted with its own screws, just added the lock nuts. But since it was torn off with force... it doesn't exactly go back together perfect.

Also picked up that nice new gouge in the chasis from running at the constuction lot.

Oh well, I'm proud of mileage scars. I drive way too much to worry about bling.

edit:

Lets take a moment to rant....

The front splitter mounts to a second plate that mounts to the chasis, that way when you hit something, you have to buy 2 parts instead of just 1.

Side skirts are the same way, I've broken the second piece, the middleman, twice now...

But the rear difuser is one piece... I went into a curb backwards at probably 60 mph, a tremendous hit. So hard, it actually folded the vanes of the difuser over. But it didn't break... and I just leaned on the vanes to get them straight again...

So when Traxxas uses 1 piece, its crazy strong, when they use 2 pieces, like the front and sides, its shatter city. Nearly all of my hits come from the front and sides... Heck you can see in my last pic how I've got a patched repair job up front too!

I guess I can't blame traxxas for building fail points into a design to force us to buy more parts... but sheesh, the car would be much more durable if the front plate, and side skirts were 1 piece units.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cool2win View Post
    I like the car. A lot

I got red too. It looks better in person.

I don't think the price is bad.

I buy $500 Futaba radios and spend $600+ on nitro engines for my Serpents. I put a $500 bearing kit in my Summit.

Thus I think the price of the XO-1 is great.
    Cool story bro.

Picked up my own xo1 off CL mint condition with 6 lipo packs for $700. guy i bought it off was desperate for cash so I gave him what I thought was fair for the package deal and he took it. looking at the engineering and quality of the parts I had some buyer's remorse, $700 is more than it's worth imo - the batteries I can also use on my other cars which def sweetened the deal, but thinking to trade the xo for an e-revo or a set of 4x4 stampedes.

for xo $$ I would much rather get a 1/5th with gas engine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Went bashing with some friends, I brought the red XO-1, and the pink and white truck is my 2Slash.

Had a great time running in a big parking lot. I still have some pull under acceleration, but the lot was big enough to correct for it. Highest speed was 95.

Later I was looking at the car, and I've noticed a patina developing right around this joint in the skirt.

I think the difuser is kicking up small pebbles, which tend to hit right in that area, and bounce back down.

Good day of running, both the Slash and the XO went fast and came back in one piece. My buddy txt me saying night bash tonight...

But I don't have lights on anything... so I pulled out my pile of EL wire and added about 11 feet of wire.

I thought I was doing white... but its light blue. Close enough.

RC Qualifier
    Kool lights , where any of those cars out there faster then XO-1's??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    Kool lights , where any of those cars out there faster then XO-1's??
    The yellow mclaren is very fast. I've seen it hit 97 GPS. The Diablo at the end is pretty fast, like an 85 mph car. The orange car is good for 75. No clue on my Slash, I feel like it hangs with these cars, but I haven't GPS'd it. The rainbow Mercedes has potential, but it's always geared too short. The OFNA rigs seem to track better than the XO, but the XO's are trapping slightly higher top speeds...

All in all I think the XO has the advantage... but I'm biased....

Ran for a while tonight, the EL wire wasn't bright enough. I thought I'd have cool lights, but I was the most poorly lit car there. The rainbow Mercedes had a loop of bright white LED strip lights around the chassis. It looked great. The McLaren had black light LED's, and pretty bright headlights.

I've got some ideas for lighting... the EL wire has potential, but it needs help. I need some orientation LED's.
    Last edited by ducati777; 04-21-2012 at 10:14 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm I've had the bearings in both rear carriers fail now.... The right hand side was replaced with some bearings from my ERBE bearing kit, and the left are some cheapies I got in my last order from hong kong... Be interesting to see if the el cheapo bearings hold up better or worse than stock.

RC Champion
    How are the new bearings holding up?
    Stop busting my canards!