Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.

My first impressions.

Received my XO1 today... I was very excited.

I get home, unpack it and I was eager to get going. But I wanted to do a few changes first. I wanted to put my 21 pinion in, I figured it would be a nice middle ground between stock and that crazy looking 34.

While waiting for the batteries to charge I put a single 3s in it and drove it around the house at walking speed. Big turning radius on this. I picked it up and revved it for the wife to show her the telemetry, and noticed the wheels shaking.

I balanced the wheels, then decided to put my gyro in it. Quick check of all the screws, installed the front splitter and I'm RTR. I headed out for a test run, still in locked mode.

Car drives fantastic! Needed a bit more front preload. Had to dial the gain down a touch on the gyro, but it tracks straight, I can get into the throttle deep and it just blasts down the street.

Then I worked on braking, too much. Slid the adjustment down to 50%, too little! Back to 68 ish, now I've got nice smooth brakes. Steering was way touchy at speed, so I added in some expo. The radio is just a pleasure to make adjustments on. I love seeing the volts and temprature. Although...

The temprature is just the surface temp. If you do a run then stop, it'll rise while the car is just sitting there. Blast down the street, and the temps drop quickly.. but the rotor is still holding heat. You can't expect the actual internal temps to move that quickly.

The speed limiter is funny, it cuts the throttle like a rev limiter on a full size motor. So it bounces off the limiter, sounds like I'm pedaling the throttle, zing zing zing! Whats weird is it claimed 70 mph locked, then I unlock it, and it goes faster, but still says 70 mph... I like the tachometer, but the speed is nonsense, I'll be getting the GPS for actual speed.

I'll be suspicious of any high top speed claims without the GPS. But it sure seems stable enough to hit ridiculous speeds.

The car understeers, so I'll be thickening up that rear diff soon. Stiffer springs would be nice, but I might just start with oil.

Traxxas did redesign their hexes, they don't have the same slop as the ERBE. The steering looks better, but turns sharper to one side than the other.

Neither of my ******* packs are a straight drop in. Its too early to take the dremel to the car, so I'm running stock batteries for now. That big motor is thirsty though, I could use more AH. It could use some lights too.

All in all I'm very impressed, and I'll probably jump up to the 34 pinion soon. No flips out of mine, but then the gyro keeps things straight, I can go full throttle and full brake at speed without drama.

Big thumbs up to Traxxas on this one. A little overpriced, but a heck of a car.

RC poster
    Hello u said u got a gyro for urs. Can i get iinformation from u. Is it like a heli gyro thanks.

cool2win
    I like the car. A lot

I got red too. It looks better in person.

I don't think the price is bad.

I buy $500 Futaba radios and spend $600+ on nitro engines for my Serpents. I put a $500 bearing kit in my Summit.

Thus I think the price of the XO-1 is great.

The radio seems pretty balanced too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by derred51 View Post
    Hello u said u got a gyro for urs. Can i get iinformation from u. Is it like a heli gyro thanks.
    I've been using this kind of gyro since about 2002.

I think its required for just about anything that can hit 50 mph. I run one in my Slash, I've tried it in the ERBE too. My rc18t was undriveable without it.

RC Qualifier
    Nice.. maybe i should try installing my Gyro on this thing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cool2win View Post
    I don't think the price is bad.
    Not bad enough to keep me from buying one... but it is pretty spendy for a stretched Slash. But hey, hope Traxxas makes a million bucks on these. I'm happy to support a company that brings so much innovation to the table.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Enjoy it!

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Competitor
    Did you notice any dimples on the hood part of the body? They almost looks like the pre-marks to drill the holes for the body post. I notice them more on the red body then the blue.

RC Champion
    what does the Gyro do for this car>?
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Qualifier
    The gyro makes the wheels right themselves if the car tries to get outta control.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.470649,153.024997
    Hello my name is Matt and i'm addicted to Traxxas.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Man ya'll are killing me!!! I want an XO-1 so bad. As much as I want one I don't much have a place to drive it. It would have been nice since our house is near the end of a cul-da-sac, but whoever built the this road uses road concrete and put swirl marks right down the center. So no doubt could i drive this car down it. LOL

HPI has a drift assist/ stability control $130. pn-80588. Wonder how much better this would do for it, or is it basically a better gyro?
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 01-26-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: stability control
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rd1201 View Post
    Did you notice any dimples on the hood part of the body? They almost looks like the pre-marks to drill the holes for the body post. I notice them more on the red body then the blue.
    Yes I did... 3 of them on the hood. Not sure what they're for yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbaillie22 View Post
    The gyro makes the wheels right themselves if the car tries to get outta control.
    Yea basically. It senses yaw, and then sends a counter steering input. If the car snaps back the other direction, it catches it faster than you can. It really acts like stability control. I'm uploading some video to youtube... but it's going to take a while for me to upload then edit... but after that I'll post here and you can compare how my car reacts to slides compared to other cars.

I got a buddy in town who got a XO today too. I don't think he's going to run a gyro, so we'll be able to do some head to head challenges like a high speed slalom.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowThunder View Post
    what does the Gyro do for this car>?
    Here's a video that shows how the gyro corrects your steering for you. I have one in my tool box somewhere. It came with my HPI Micro RS4. It was fun for a while but took the fun out of drifting once you develop your skills.
    Might test it out on my XO-1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ST56siMGs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dang, can't get it to link to CC link.

Gives error message....

RC Champion
    No castle link support. Is that another perk? Another reason to by a roller.

I wish my GPS still worked it was a great tool, anyway let us know how your GPS works out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Had some fun making this....

^^^ Well that's what i'm talking about. Great recovery towards the end.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks dude.

That clunk at the end, I was accerating hard and it got away from me. I keep chuckling at that, it was a moment of panic, but sadly off camera.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    HPI has a drift assist/ stability control $130. pn-80588. Wonder how much better this would do for it, or is it basically a better gyro?
    FYI, the HPI "Drift Assist" gyro is a rebranded Futaba G190 gyro, which cost half as much. You can find the Futaba for ~ $65.

Quote Originally Posted by Spain View Post
    FYI, the HPI "Drift Assist" gyro is a rebranded Futaba G190 gyro, which cost half as much. You can find the Futaba for ~ $65.
    Ok thanks, That's what I was wondering I thought it looked the same.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    ducati777

Great video. Is that with the gyro installed? If so what level of sensitivity do you have it on?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback!

imotion, my gyro has 2 adjustments. One is to find center, you turn the screw until the red and green LED's light up. Then it goes red one direction, green the other when you move it.

The other adjustment is gain, and there isn't a level, its just a screw adjustment. I put it in, and would turn the car in the air by hand, and watch the wheels. I want a bit of correction, but not a lot. If you put too much gain in, then at high speed the car will occilate from over correcting. I was getting a little occilation out of the car on the shakedown run, so I dialed it back about 1/8th of a turn.

RC Champion
    The next big leap is traction control with a small onboard computer.
    I could see that being easy with an advanced ESC. Not much different than the inputs received from the gyro for stability, maybe even easier to accomplish based on the rate of RPM increase........Very cool stuff here.
    Gyro is interesting........another toy to acquire

RC Qualifier
    I have a gyro , it's a e sky , half the price of the Futaba , I read great things about it but never tried , now I may have to. Question - can the gyro be mounted flat or does it have to be mounted on it's side?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by justpassedu View Post
    Question - can the gyro be mounted flat or does it have to be mounted on it's side?
    Probably... there should be a mark, looks like a crosshair, thats the axis that its sensing. You want it set for yaw, so the axis has to be vertical.

If you search the slash forum, I've tried gyro's in all 3 axis, even 2 at once.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ugh. Rough day... spent the last two days working on the full size car. I was making upgrades, so you'd think I'd be excited about that, but it was a ton of work, and really I just wanted to play with the XO. I fast charge the lipos to maybe 85-90 percent and head out.

I wanted to try the running track at the local school. Sadly there was some girl and her dad using the track too, so I really couldn't get the speed up. Still managed to smash the car into something, broke a bunch o plastic.

Then I headed to the parking lot. That was better, except the big mud puddle at the west edge. Of course I lose control on that side, its sliding sideways towards the mud, and I figured my only hope was to jump it. So I turned into the puddle, and punched the throttle.

Big spray of mud goes into the air.... oh noes....

It appears Traxxas can't spell. Here I thought the car had a front splitter, turns out its a front shovel.

I've been cleaning for a while now... got the car looking a lot better, but it no longer has that new car look. RC cars live violent lives...

Hope outerwears is paying attention to this car, I'll buy a cover.
    Last edited by ducati777; 01-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.

RC Competitor
    OMG !!!!! cannot believe my eyes

RC Qualifier
    That's an awesome pic. The best I've seen yet.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Champion
    I need a Outerwears to block the rubber dust from getting all over inside. Good pics!
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 01-29-2012 at 08:31 AM.

RC Competitor
    traxxas def should made some sort of wheel well for the body no to let junk up inside , mine got all kinda of little pebbles and rock all up in there

RC Champion
    I've for sure been thinking about some. I drove over a flattened pine cone and it dissapeared off the road and reappeared under my body. For 100mph Xo-1s wheel wells might block the air channel inside the body?

RC Champion
    Ducati777 wrote.... Big spray of mud goes into the air.... oh noes..
    Ohhhh lots of things come to mind! Man I feel horrible for you, you don't even get your offroad cars that dirty
    I do hope that after clean up that the true damage is minimal.......if such a thing on a car like this. I give you kudos for going for it though!

RC Qualifier
    This car can vacum the street lol, but i still love it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I get up this morning, and I'm worried about the XO. I get some batteries cooking on the charger, and grab my **** 6ah and a jumper.

I didn't check the voltage on the ****, but the car armed normally, 3 beeps, we're all good. I roll into the throttle, no wheels on the car, sitting upside down. It cogs like crazy, its vibrating, not turning the wheels, just buzzing and making noise.

The battery and motor wires are warm... this isn't working. But its acting like a low amp cog, so all hope isn't lost. After waiting to charge I put the factory lipos in, and no problem. The car arms, then spins the wheels nice and smooth.

I met up with my buddy to bash.

Had a great drama free run today. Just smooth and fast. I had a couple tumbles, but no hard hits, and the Slash ran really well today too.

Later a buddy shows up with his modded Ofna GP car, and blows the doors off our 2 XO's. I was geared for 70, my buddy about 75, and this OFNA showed up ready to party at about 85. So I took my lickings today with the XO, but I could just throw that 34 pinion in and things would change real fast....
    Last edited by ducati777; 01-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.

RC Competitor
    looks like you guys had a fun day .. so how come you didnt have the 100mph gear in it .. is it slower off the start with the bigger gear compared to the 70mph gear ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by FloJo View Post
    looks like you guys had a fun day .. so how come you didnt have the 100mph gear in it .. is it slower off the start with the bigger gear compared to the 70mph gear ?
    Because my care is rarely running 100 mph. It would have been nice today... but so far the 70 mph gears have been great. Its fast enough to get in trouble, without pulling a bunch of amps.

RC Qualifier
    OK I wanna gyro now. I don't think it will do much on my dry pavement runs but the dirt road stuff would have epic potential!!! So you just plug er in to aux/batt/ch3 in reciever?
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgegixxer View Post
    OK I wanna gyro now. I don't think it will do much on my dry pavement runs but the dirt road stuff would have epic potential!!! So you just plug er in to aux/batt/ch3 in reciever?
    Nope, it goes on channel 1, then the servo plugs into the gyro.

They work great onroad too, I know you're into highway running, and it'll take a lot of drama out of braking. I gotta get another, my #2 gyro broke somehow... so I'm down to 1, which is currently in the XO. But the Slash is capable of warp speed too, and I miss having one in it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Nope, it goes on channel 1, then the servo plugs into the gyro.

They work great onroad too, I know you're into highway running, and it'll take a lot of drama out of braking. I gotta get another, my #2 gyro broke somehow... so I'm down to 1, which is currently in the XO. But the Slash is capable of warp speed too, and I miss having one in it.
    Right on, thanks for the info. Actually I have an old heli, I'm gonna look for the manual or tear it apart to see if there is one in it. I'm thinking it might be integrated into the reciever or esc though if it does have one.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Champion
    Your slash was doing just fine without one.