RC poster

Upgrading Old E-Revo?????

Hey guys I bought a E-Revo about 3 or so years ago, I used it about 10 times and I would assume the motors went bad.

Anyway, I haven't ran it since. But I would like to fix it and upgrade the motors. I don't really need a whole lot more speed or anything but whatever I can do for under $100 that will last longer and be a bit quicker would be great.

Also, I have the iCharger and I am not even sure how to properly use it with my SPC lipo batteries. Do I need to add something to the e revo?

Thanks guys!

Starters you are in the wrong forum..(E Revo) In time a mod will move it. What motor & ESC is in the truck?? Do you have a power supply for the Icharge?? (what model)
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Stock titans and stock ESC. The iCharger is a 106B

RC Qualifier
    Why not put a 3.3 in her off flea-bay for under $100.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    Why not put a 3.3 in her off flea-bay for under $100.
    You can put an electric motor in a nitro but not a 3.3 in an E Revo. The OP is new and posted in the wrong forum.

Sent from my Rooted HTC EVO 4G on IceCream Sandwich
    Go Patriots!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JLRevo View Post
    You can put an electric motor in a nitro but not a 3.3 in an E Revo. The OP is new and posted in the wrong forum.

Sent from my Rooted HTC EVO 4G on IceCream Sandwich
    I know I was just having a little fun is all.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Racer
    What about the DeWalt drill motor conversion? Or is that for the Summit? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker222 View Post
    Hey guys I bought a E-Revo about 3 or so years ago, I used it about 10 times and I would assume the motors went bad.

Anyway, I haven't ran it since. But I would like to fix it and upgrade the motors. I don't really need a whole lot more speed or anything but whatever I can do for under $100 that will last longer and be a bit quicker would be great.

Also, I have the iCharger and I am not even sure how to properly use it with my SPC lipo batteries. Do I need to add something to the e revo?

Thanks guys!
    Motor: a 14.4V Dewalt will work fine in an E-Revo. A Titan 775 is also a great choice.
    LiPos: a cheap eBay Low Voltage Alarm connected to the balance tap of the BEC-side battery will keep you from over-discharging your packs. I used a 2S tap extension between the LVA and the balance tap.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC poster
    I am interested in the Dewalt motor change or the titan 775. Will I lose battery life? How easy will the swap be? Will I have to soder? Thanks! (as I said I am a total noob and sorry this is in the wrong forum)

Also, will I lose top speed? Wheelies? Thanks!
    Last edited by Parker222; 01-25-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Titan 775 would need no soldering. Top speed would be about the same but should have loads more torque. Summits wheelie. I can't see why a lighter E-Revo wouldn't.
    Dewalt needs more work but there are some good tutorials. Here's one from the Summit forum:
    My own Dewalt 14.4 Instal. LOTS OF PICS
    Both should include changing the motor plate and gear cover to the single motor types.
    New 5mm bore, 32P pinion(s) will be required.

RC poster
    I went to the local hobby shop today. They said I would need 2 LVC's because of 2 lipo batteries? If I am remembering right there are plenty of setups that just have 1 LVC but are running 2 lipos?

I don't have a soldering iron so I may have them do the Dewalt install.

Go to your LHS for parts, come here for advice.
    See this thread for one LVA for 2 packs. Funny thing is that two LVAs from eBay will likely cost you less (about $4 each) than one LVA and a splitter. You could certainly get away with running only one LVA on the BEC side of the ESC. The pack connected to this side will run down faster since it alone will be powering the servo(s), receiver, etc. Most of the Summit owners running LVAs only connect them to the BEC-side pack.

A nice thing about the 775 is that the capacitors that minimize the interference for AM radios are already soldered on. With a Dewalt, you would need to solder the capacitors. I think Kershaw Designs offers a service that solders the motor wires and capacitors to a Dewalt motor (if you buy the motor there) for a fee. I'm not sure what kind of motor-to-ESC connectors that includes.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-25-2012 at 11:41 PM.