RC poster

Question Using NiMHs at the track

I'm new to the hobby and was curious how people went about racing with NiMHs. From what I know you're supposed to run your NiMH until dead before you charge it, so how do people use them at track events? Say you're practicing for a few hours then you have 2 qualifiers followed by the main race.
    Do you try to get multiple races out of one charge?
    Do you take multiple NiMHs with you for each race?
    Do you use your charger to discharge and charge the NiHM after each heat?

I bought a Lipo to keep things simple for now however i'm interested in using NiMhs for track days. I Lipo broke before my first Novice A-Main so I had to use my stock traxxas NiHM; I ended up placing first .

Just a newbie looking for some info, thanks for any help. Oh I have a Slash 4x4.

RC Champion
    nimh should not be ran till the car stops! when you notice a performance decrease in power change out the pack
    they Dont really have a memory, they can be ran a little then put on the charger to peak them if needed

Also dont put them on the charger if hot or warm after use ( let them cool first )

RC poster
    Thanks Krazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy-SLASH#1 View Post
    nimh should not be ran till the car stops! when you notice a performance decrease in power change out the pack
    they Dont really have a memory, they can be ran a little then put on the charger to peak them if needed

Also dont put them on the charger if hot or warm after use ( let them cool first )

That about sums it up. When I raced with nimh packs, I would charge my pack before practice and try to run it as low as possible ( until I noticed a slight drop in power. Then I would put it on the discharge tray and bring each cell down to .9 volt before charging it. From there, I would just top it off between rounds. One thing with nimh is that you want to run them as soon as it's done charging. If you can, try to time it out so that your battery peaks right before your ready to race.

I realize you can't put the Traxxas packs on a balancing tray unless you disassembled the pack and re-wire it though.

I would honestly run lipo. Don't take this the wrong way, jasnall, but it sounds like you just need to take it easy on the throttle. No offense intended. Reason I say that is because you ran a weaker/heavier and did better.

RC Champion
    i run nimhs in my rig because i don't want the extra expense of converting to lipo. i can run 8.5-11 minutes on 2000mah. also i don't run it till it stops i will pull it off the track when the power drops off
    impeach obama!