RC Qualifier

what causes the brushless 'upgrade'?

I've done a lot of reading about upgrde to brushless, but something I can't figure out is what exactly is the reason for the speed increase. Is it,
    1. The brushless motor?
    2. The sensorless esc?
    3. The 18/54 gearing?
    4. The lipo batteries?

Before you say 'all of the above' , I only ask cause right now I have two 2s 8200 30c lipos. could I JUST get a brushless motor and see 50 mph speeds with 18/54 gearing? Or is the mm esc required for the bl motor? And if I do need the esc, will the lipos I have now be useless if I upgrade to brushless cause of their C rating?

Rrgh its all a lil confusing, but I swear I've done my homework. Any help from you geniouses would be appreciated.
    Last edited by varunaX; 01-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    the lpos you have are more than enough. yes you need a new esc because your esc has 2 wires for one motor the brushless esc has 3 wires. yes the gearing helps. but also the brushless motor is capable of at least twice if not 3 times the rpms.
    if my erevo was a transformer it would destroy urs

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    I've done a lot of reading about upgrde to brushless, but something I can't figure out is what exactly is the reason for the speed increase. Is it,
    1. The brushless motor?
    2. The sensorless esc?
    3. The 18/54 gearing?
    4. The lipo batteries?

Before you say 'all of the above' , I only ask cause right now I have two 2s 8200 30c lipos. could I JUST get a brushless motor and see 50 mph speeds with 18/54 gearing? Or is the mm esc required for the bl motor? And if I do need the esc, will the lipos I have now be useless if I upgrade to brushless cause of their C rating?

Rrgh its all a lil confusing, but I swear I've done my homework. Any help from you geniouses would be appreciated.
    It's a combination of all the sums.

Brushless motors have more power hence try can push the higher gearing. The brushless esc is needed for the brushless motor and the lipos can supply the voltage and current required by the motor.

If you go brushless you will need not only the motor but a brushless esc as well. Might as well gear it properly and if you go lipos use them!