RC Enthusiast

Pink Summit VXL project...

Hi, i want to show you my mini Summit from Spain (excuse my english) to introduce myself in this forum. It's as stock now but planning some mods.

I want to use it for trail riding and some bashing with two different setups:

1) Trail: 1 NiMh Battery + Trainning Mode + Crawl wheels
    2) Bashing: 1 LiPo 3s Battery + Full Mode + Short Course wheels + lowered chassis with zip ties holding links.

Also, i'm going to lower the gearing to have less than 10mph for trail and about 30mph for bashing.

I'm so excited with this truck, is really funny. Run down about 12 packs for now and very pleased with overall performance.

Why pink?, you'll see...

More photos and videos soon.

Cheers!
    Last edited by EGA; 01-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.

RC Racer
    Isn't pink a no no here?! Haha, just kidding. Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see more. (even though it will be pink)

RC Enthusiast
    Haha, thanks.

Let's talk about mSummit, . I have bought the truck with two extra 1600mAh NiMh batteries. Well, with 1x NiMh and training mode trail riding is fine, but maybe on the fast side. With 1x NiMh in normal mode for bashing is fine, but maybe on the slow side. With 2x NiMh in series for bashing is fast like ****, too fast. So i'm going to undergearing about a 20-30% to have this two different speeds that i'm looking for, one for trail and one for bashing. Something like 10mph for trail and 30mph for bashing.

First updates bought (and waiting to come) in eBay:

12-13-14T pinion set.
    55T spur.
    Motor heat sink.
    2x ***** LiPo Batteries 3s 11.1v 1300mAh

I'm getting heat issues if i push hard, so undergearing and heat sink will help. Also, i'm planning to make air intakes in the windscreen.

Apart from adapting the speeds to my needs and trying to solve heat issues i've found the truck too soft in the rear and a bit heavy compared to the front. It dives a lot acelerating hard and makes backflips easily when it climbs. So i have preloaded the rear springs all the way in to compensate diving and, only for trail riding, added some weight to the front (160g of fishing weights) to compensate backflips. Also, for bashing, truck is too high, that makes it unestable at high speeds, so i made this trick having very good results:

Lowering mSummit video

Stay tuned for photos and updates!
    Last edited by EGA; 01-21-2012 at 09:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice photo, and welcome to the forum.

RC Qualifier
    that's an interesting way to lower the truck... kinda ghetto, but I guess it works, lol

if you find yourself running like that more than not, just buy some P2 rockers for the mini Revo and install them in place of the log travel stockers. makes it sit pretty low and stiffens up the suspension a little too

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tip! Zip ties works well for lowering the body, hope not to broke a link or something like that because of unpredicted stress or something. Two days ago i've been burning tires here about 50min (3 packs) and it works!

As you can see i'm going to use the mSummit in every way. I have a beach for bashing, woods for trailing, RC road track for burn tires and so on... Because of that i want a very versatile setup: two really different speeds, two set of tires, ability to adjust the height of the truck... It will be fun!

RC Enthusiast
    And now...

Is PINK!!

RC Enthusiast
    I've removed windscreen and rear window to have better air flow.

Talking about performance i have done the trans flip but i didn't like it, too slow for me. So, i'm still waiting some parts to come (pinion, spur, heatsink and batteries) to have a good two speed setup (trail/bashing).

Also, i've blown stock servo and replaced it with a cheap one that have at local rc shop... Will see how much abuse can take, but i'm thinking to put a Hitec 82MG or ******* 390.

Cheers!
    Last edited by EGA; 01-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.

RC Racer
    It is your truck but the pink is killing me. Haha looks like a good paint job though. Let us know how things go with the new pinion and spur gears.

RC Enthusiast
    Hahaha, pink is nice choice for a girl, isn't it?

Tonigh i've stripped my rear shocks because of leaking problems and after 30 battery packs are half filled. No damping at all. I'm looking for some oil here in local rc shops and if i don't find it, i'll go to eBay. I'll try 80wt instead 60wt from stock because truck seems to have a poor dampening, it bottoms out easily and rebound looks too fast, at least in comparison with my friends cars...

Now, i've taken my GoPro and we're going to the woods to film some trails.

Cheers!

RC Enthusiast
    Some photos of my Pink mSummit,

Cheers!

RC Competitor
    I think it looks good, is it the white body dyed? or?

RC Racer
    i noticed your wheels are black

what did you use to paint/dye the traxxas geode wheels?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd MT

RC Enthusiast
    Body is just painted over white with a neon pink spray from a hardware store. Black wheels painted with nail lacquer, :LOL:

I'm still recording some video, here's an sneak peak:

RC Qualifier
    can't wait to see it!

RC Enthusiast
    Today i've have tried a difficult path in the woods with some crawling, heat problems came again because of high gearing for that use, next day here i have to go with tranny flip. Also, i'm going to try 60K in front diff and 100k in rear to improve traction.

Pink don't withstand as good as i want and now it looks like pink camouflage, hahaha.

Hope you like these photos. The other mSummit is from a friend.

Cheers!

RC Enthusiast
    Here is the first Pink Project Summit video:

Turn to 720p for better quality. Hope you like it.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesomest rc video ever! Loved the creek driving parts! Pretty sure Im now going to buy a mini summit by the end of the week. For the girl friend of course
    Last edited by BCSteel; 01-31-2012 at 05:12 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you! Episode 2 will be avaiable soon,

Yesterday i've bought a set of 1.9 Proline Flat Irons from TheToyz. Also, i'm still waiting for LiPo, 12-13-14 + 55 gears and a ******* 380MG servo. So, stay tuned for fresh updates.

Cheers!
    Last edited by EGA; 02-01-2012 at 03:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EGA View Post
    Thank you! Episode 2 will be avaiable soon,

Yesterday i've bought a set of 1.9 Proline Flat Irons from TheToyz. Also, i'm still waiting for LiPo, 12-13-14 + 55 gears and a ******* 380MG servo. So, stay tuned for fresh updates.

Cheers!
    I'm interested to see how you like the 380 servo, i want to get the 390 but i'm growing impatient waiting for them to be re-stocked
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Enthusiast
    Better than stock for sure, . Stock 20 batteries. Replaced with a Rextor RX80, cheapest from my local RC store, and after 24 batteries is working fine... Not waterproofed and bashing in a creek about 5 batteries!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cool, very nice video, never thought that the mini would be capable of that.

RC Enthusiast
    It's all about low weight, power and a bit of inertia,

Excellent Video, and fantastic driving !!!!!!!
    Here is the first Pink Project Summit video:

Turn to 720p for better quality. Hope you like it.

Excellent Video and Fantastic driving !!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!! It's not easy to make a video like this but your comments are cheering me up, .

Episode 2 will be more "crawly", if that word exist, hahaha. I can't waint for Proline Flat Irons to come!

Stay tuned...

RC Enthusiast
    Hi folks,

I have gears and LiPos here! I'm going to try 13/55 gearing with 3S this morning. My goal, about 30mph of top speed for bashing. Same as stock with 2S, but when using NiMh i'll have 15-20mph and this will be better for trail riding. Also, if i make the tranny flip i'll have a great speed for crawling.

RC Enthusiast
    3S LiPos with 13/55 are ok, more speed and aceleration than stock with 1x NiMh but less than 2x NiMh. About 30mph and a bit crazy but still controllable and very funny. So, now i can say that i've that two differents speeds i'm looking for, about 15-20mph (1/2 in training mode) with 1x NiMh for trail riding and 30mph with 1x LiPo 3S for bashing.

Second failure in 50 batteries in my "Pinky", one driveshaft broken this morning, surprisingly climbing with 1x NiMh and not bashing with LiPos. I've ordered 4 MERV driveshafts with knuckles...

At this point, Pinky needs a full service. I'm waiting for a lot of things to come from eBay and other sites: tires, wheels, servo, driveshafts, knuckles, differential shims, aluminium tie rods, pushrods and so on. This car is not very reliable from stock, too much plastic things, but i'm very pleased with it, with some quality replacements i think that will be ok.

Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    First updates bought (and waiting to come) in eBay:

12-13-14T pinion set.
    55T spur.
    Hi EGA,
    12-13-14T pinions are not 48 P right? can they fix with the stock spur gear?
    Great pics and videos you have there in this thread. Keep them coming.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi, pinions are 48p, perfect fit.

I miss my Pinky, haha. It'll be ready soon...

RC Enthusiast
    Still waiting for new parts to make a first rebuild.

Proline Flat Iron 1.9 G8 compound and wheels. Weighted with 70g each, 40g inside + 30g outside with real 1:1 5g wheel weights.

A lot of thins coming: 4x MERV driveshafts + knuckles, 2x ******* 380Mg servos, Slash Toe Links (to replace stock pushrods), HotRacing Turnbuckles, Differential shims, 4x Proline Dirt Hawg 2.2 (with stock Traxxas Geodes) and 2x LiFe 6.6 batteries.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by EGA; 02-12-2012 at 06:37 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Tested!

(in my friend car)

Very grippy and very soft compound that don't know how much will last...

Looks good!

RC Enthusiast
    Yesterday was a bad day, i've had the "EVO I" almost complete when i decided to try the bashing setup, with 16/55T + Proline Dirt Hawg + LiPo 3S, and i've broke center driveshaft in about 3min... Last time i've put the 3S both of rear driveshafts broke. So, that it's a bad point for now and i've take the decision of using my mini Summit only for trail ridings and light crawling. No more bashing here. Here you have the last photo of my pinky basher,

But the project doesn't ends here!! I'll slightly modify the EVO I setup to have the better perfomance in trails, so stay tuned for new things to come from eBay,

Here's an sneak peak:

Setup in this photo, from stock except:

- 12T pinion and 55T Spur.
    - Hot Racing Al turnbuckles.
    - Rally toe links as push rods (lower ride height, much more stable).
    - MERV driveshafts.
    - Bluebird/******* 380MG Servo.
    - Proline Flat Iron 1.9's with Traxxas Rally rims.
    - 70g of extra weights per wheel.
    - 180g of fishing weights in front (for climbing)
    - 6x6cm computer fan.
    - Integy motor heatsink.
    - 60K front and 100K rear silicone in diffs. Shimmed.
    - 80w front and 100w rear silicone in shocks.
    - 2x LiFe 6.6v in paralell.

Hope you like it!

RC Enthusiast
    Hi!

Some news here,

- RPM knuckles. Better than stock, but with crappy .050" screws.
    - Hot Racing Shock bodies. Much better than stock, no leaking and great looking.
    - 500K silicone in rear diff for extreme off-roading, it really works but it's still far from a true lock. Next step is 100% locked. Will see...