RC Qualifier

Should I change gear ratio from stock? 11.1vLiPo3s, 4x4 Ultimate

I''m wondering if I should I change gear ratio from stock?

I've had this 4x4 Ultimate for 2 weeks. It's my first fast RC car. I'm running 11.1V LiPo's 3s 20c only.
    I have a cooling fan on the controller.

I normally don't run it very hard without some slower stuff mixed in. I've never really noticed crazy heat on the motor until I let a more advanced driver run my car for 10+ laps at an indoor track this week. He ran it very fast and hard.

I was impressed to see what my car could do in more skilled hands, but the motor was very hot afterward and someone mentioned I should consider changing the gear ratio away from stock to save the motor.

What is the stock gear ratio? 4x4 Ultimate
    Should I leave it? Change it?
    Advice?
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

RC Qualifier
    I would invest in a heatsink fan combo on the motor and i would only run 2s on the stock velinion. Way less trouble. But on 3s i would leave it stock gearing . On mine 2s i run 15/52 or 19 /54 depending on where im runnin. Im runnin two fans and heatsink on motor and fan on esc. Good luck
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Qualifier
    Cool, Thanks,
    What kind of 2-fan heatsink do you have on the motor?

I don't recommend a dual fan heatsink setup on 3s. The problem I had was, it overloads the bec in the esc. The truck will stop and freeze for no reason at all. Go with a single fan. You can also cut a hole in the windshield for more airflow to the motor. You can gear it down to a 11 or 12. That would also help.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I don't recommend a dual fan heatsink setup on 3s. The problem I had was, it overloads the bec in the esc. The truck will stop and freeze for no reason at all. Go with a single fan. You can also cut a hole in the windshield for more airflow to the motor. You can gear it down to a 11 or 12. That would also help.
    Thanks for the advice and help.

You are welcome! We are here to help
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I guess it's time to put my ASE-Traxxas hat on...
    Gonna change the pinion / ratio tonight. I've heard it's an easy job...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KewlToy View Post
    I''m wondering if I should I change gear ratio from stock?

I've had this 4x4 Ultimate for 2 weeks. It's my first fast RC car. I'm running 11.1V LiPo's 3s 20c only.
    I have a cooling fan on the controller.

I normally don't run it very hard without some slower stuff mixed in. I've never really noticed crazy heat on the motor until I let a more advanced driver run my car for 10+ laps at an indoor track this week. He ran it very fast and hard.

I was impressed to see what my car could do in more skilled hands, but the motor was very hot afterward and someone mentioned I should consider changing the gear ratio away from stock to save the motor.

What is the stock gear ratio? 4x4 Ultimate
    Should I leave it? Change it?
    Advice?
    i ran my 3s stock gearing at the track, my motor got 170 degress, god knows why it didnt burn out, i have 17/54 now and my motor doesnt overheat at all, you have to go to your lhs, pick up a 50,52/54 spur gear and several different size pinions and expiriment. get a heat gun by dynamite to moniter your temps.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    would the pinion 11 and 12 run with a 54 spur gear? does the motor get hot? How fast will you go? on 3s right ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    would the pinion 11 and 12 run with a 54 spur gear? does the motor get hot? How fast will you go? on 3s right ?
    I haven't made the gear change yet. Perhaps today.
    I'll have to check on gear fit. My local shop told me the gear I need is in the kit that came with the car.
    The motor did get extremly hot during some very hard running (I loaned my car to a semi-pro / semi-abusive friend)
    It currently has way more top end than I need, so I can afford to lose some.

RC Champion
    Remember when looking for the right gearing and checking temps, if the motor is hot but the ESC isn't then it's undergeared. A lot of people don't realize that the motor will run hot when undergeared and they just keep going lower making it worse.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    Remember when looking for the right gearing and checking temps, if the motor is hot but the ESC isn't then it's undergeared. A lot of people don't realize that the motor will run hot when undergeared and they just keep going lower making it worse.
    Thanks, good info.

RC poster
    I run 3s 20c no fans I have temp guage and I never get any problems no matter how hard I run it. Gear ratio 12/54. I use to run 19/54 learned the hard way. Fried the stock motor, the magnet was spinning on shaft rotor trXxas sent me new one week later. Props to traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    My stock gearing is 13-54. The controller (ESC) does not really get hot, and I already have a cooling fan on it.

My new car kit came with an 18 to replace the 13, but with a written warning to not use it on dirt tracks, and only on open road. So, I'll not change the 13>18

Leaving the 13 in place, I could change the 54 to either the 52 or 50?
    I got a heatsink and single fan for the motor today. If that keeps the motor cool enough I'll leave it as is...

I guess I'll look into the aformentioned dynamite motor temp checker...?

RC Qualifier
    The heat sink on the motor did the trick. I ran it hard today, and I was able to keep my hand on the motor afterward. It was too hot for that before.

Thanks for the help