RC Competitor

LiPo Help! Considering the pros and cons of LiPo...

Apart from the pros and cons of lipo, I was just wondering if LiPo's make the motor hotter or cooler. I am running the Velineon system. Sorry for being so nooby guys, but thanks in advance for your help. The reason im asking you this is because right now, I am running a 12/54 gearing setup, with an Integy heat sink w/ duals fans on the motor, but it still gets hot after about 5 mins, and want to make sure I get a better gearing for lipo, if needed of course. I run on crushed granite, grass and asphalt, oh and my local track (which is sort of medium to hard packed clay-y stuff). Again thanks in advance for your help!
    Posted in Australia, the country Down-Under

RC Qualifier
    Im currently runnin 14/52 and run threw a whole pack but i also love 19/54/or 52 and i run in my back yard up and down hill .i usually changn gearing between my bowties and my sc badlands. Are u goin thermal ? If u are runnin full throttle most of the time and can handle the speed , maybe u need to gear up and maintain current speed and run it at a less throttle but that takes discipline .
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Racer
    temps depend on gearing, drive style, and outside conditions. generally I've never had problems with LiPos, besides the fact that they get old just like everything else and turn fat and slow

but thats after a LONG time... and me not putting them in storage mode when i should have
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

If you run a 2s Lipo there isn't much difference. More consistent power and more punch. 3s lipo and you need to run the stock gearing or lower. Things get hot really fast. Be cautious with the dual fan setup. It can overload the bec in the esc. Lipo is the way to go
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    I too am a newb so take what i say with a grain of salt. It seems we run the same set up with the fans and stuff. My gearing has been the same as yours. I run through 2 2s 5200mah packs with a small 10-15 minute break between and have had no real heat issues. Mine gets warm but usually stays under 150-ish. I am one of those full throttle break my truck kind of guys, and highly reccomend getting the lipos. Just be ready to replace a few parts, as the stock ones might go south of cheese during a hard bash session.

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks for your help, but would you guys reccomend getting an infrared temp guage? or is it good enough to judge by touch? If so, then what is the limit? Too hot to touch? just hot to touch? and is the temperature you guys use in farenheit or in celsius? sorry again for being a noob...

RC Competitor
    -ultran, what does "going thermal"?

RC Competitor
    also could you guys reccomend a good quality but cheap combo (battery/charger)? i heard that a Gens Ace pack from hobbypartz is a good budget choice...

I swear by Venom. They have an excellent warranty!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I swear by Venom. They have an excellent warranty!
    yeah but what sort of combo and is it cheap ($50-$150)?

RC Enthusiast
    First LiPo I purchased was from Mr Toys, an Integy/Intellect 'IP' 3s 30c 5000mAh, cost me around $120 (AUD) as well as a 'Deans-to-Traxxas Adaptor (approx. $6) and also a Ansmann Racing's 'Base 2.0' LiPo Charger from Hobby One for $100 (AUD).

As I was still using NiMH batteries at the time, I had them solder on a Traxxas plug to a spare lead for charging (I am ofcourse referring to the charger - shouldn't cost you anything if it is done at the time of purchase).

I would recommend you steer clear of the 3s for now and stick with the 2s. For a IP 2s 40C 5000mAh, should only run you about $50-$70 max. You 'should' still be able to run 18t Pinion, not overheat (as long as you still pay attention) and will generate good punch.

If you're deadset on 3s, go for it by all means, we can't stop you but be warned, you'll be able to cook an egg on that badboy and soon, that'll be all it's good for... becareful!

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you, Angel1, is register on A Main and Tower for thier newsletters and wait for some good deals to come up.

I paid less for a AE Reedy 4s 60c 5500mAh then my 3s....

Good hunting mate!

-Spec
    Last edited by Spectrefiend; 01-21-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HELLO_ANGEL1 View Post
    yeah but what sort of combo and is it cheap ($50-$150)?
    As for price, I don't exactly remember. I have Venom Li-Power 3s 5400mah Lipo and a Hyperion charger. Around $150.00.
    Spec. Is correct! A Main has Traxxas replacement motors on sale for around $50.00! If I were running the stock system, I'd get one for a spare.

RC Racer
    ^^^ let me in on that!! haha what a deal. could always use a spare motor.
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

RC Competitor
    ok thanks for your help, but ultran8, you asked me :
    Quote Originally Posted by ultran8 View Post
    Are u goin thermal ?
    what exactly does this mean?

RC Enthusiast
    It is a LED code given by your ESC stating that your ESC has become too hot and is shutting down (ie: Thermal Shutdown). Read through your manual (believe it's right in the back).

Changing your gearing, as stated, is one way of correcting this. Additional cooling fan/s and driving technique can and will also play a role in maintaining reasonable temperatures.

As far as I know, if you gear your RC too far one way, your Motor will heat up and too far the other, the ESC will heat up. Both however will get hot, just typically one more then the other. Correct me if I am wrong..

-Spec

RC Racer
    Spurge on a lipo and you will never go back to nimh batteries again. Grab a 3s and a 2s.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

I have 3 and 4s

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrefiend View Post
    It is a LED code given by your ESC stating that your ESC has become too hot and is shutting down (ie: Thermal Shutdown). Read through your manual (believe it's right in the back).

Changing your gearing, as stated, is one way of correcting this. Additional cooling fan/s and driving technique can and will also play a role in maintaining reasonable temperatures.

As far as I know, if you gear your RC too far one way, your Motor will heat up and too far the other, the ESC will heat up. Both however will get hot, just typically one more then the other. Correct me if I am wrong..

-Spec
    +1 to you once again Spectrefiend! Awesome in depth explanation, easy to understand. Thanks.