RC poster

Problems with my shocks!

Hey guys, I'm new to the RC world and I bought a Slash 4x4 Ultimate a few weeks ago. I've been doing a lot of offroad driving with it, and hitting some jumps here and there, with a couple of hard landings (bottom outs) Well now it seems like my shocks are a lot looser (Chassis sits low to the ground) and it just doesn't rebound like it use to. Is this a problem with my shock oil? Like I said the truck is only a few weeks old.

RC Champion
    Had the same problem they kept sagging the run after jumps. I refilled my shocks with slightly thicker oil and the problem is gone
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    Had the same problem they kept sagging the run after jumps. I refilled my shocks with slightly thicker oil and the problem is gone
    Could you possibly recommend a thickness for front and back, and maybe even a brand of oil. Like I said I new to this lol

RC Competitor
    Hi, it seems that you have 2 problems:
    1- when landing the chassis bottom out
    2- Chassis sits low to the ground

To solve the first problem, you must use thicker oil (Ex: 60 wt front and 50wt rear, traxxas oil is good quaity) and use also harder springs in front and rear.
    To solve the second problem it's not a problem of oil thickness, it's only a matter of springs, when you ad plastic spacers you compress the springs and this increases your ride height also if you use harder springs this also helps to increase the ride height. If you run in dirty conditions or mud conditions this also makes the ride height lower than normal, but after cleaning it should be ok

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Droopy View Post
    Hi, it seems that you have 2 problems:
    1- when landing the chassis bottom out
    2- Chassis sits low to the ground

To solve the first problem, you must use thicker oil (Ex: 60 wt front and 50wt rear, traxxas oil is good quaity) and use also harder springs in front and rear.
    To solve the second problem it's not a problem of oil thickness, it's only a matter of springs, when you ad plastic spacers you compress the springs and this increases your ride height also if you use harder springs this also helps to increase the ride height. If you run in dirty conditions or mud conditions this also makes the ride height lower than normal, but after cleaning it should be ok
    Thanks for the quick response. As for the truck, it has been well cleaned since my last run so there is nothing weighing it down (if thats what you meant) As for the low ride height, I have not changed anything spring wise, so I dont understand why its just lower now. Did the impact from all the jumps have an effect on the shocks? The only change ive made to the stock truck is I added RPM A arms all the way around, but I connected the shocks and sway bar in the same position that they were to on the stock a arms.

RC poster
    Ok so I think I kinda figured it out. I just added another clip to each shock to increase the tension on the springs. Its working, Im just still confused on what changed when it first got out of the box to make it different. It was to the point where if I used my hand to bottom out the chassis, when I let go it would barely even move back up at all.

RC Competitor
    Maybe it's because you've put the new rpm A arms, i don't use rpm A arms but sometimes when you change parts this happens, have you check if your A arms move freely? To know if this is the problem, the better way is taking the shocks, the sway bars, and the wheels. then with your fingers you move the A arms up and they should come down by themselves freely, if they don't then you have another problem.
    Hope this helps.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolted0627 View Post
    Im just still confused on what changed when it first got out of the box to make it different. It was to the point where if I used my hand to bottom out the chassis, when I let go it would barely even move back up at all.
    I believe it is a combination of adding the RPM stuff (great product but it may be just slightly different than stock) and just plan use. A lot of people will say that the stock Traxxas springs are weak. After a bit of use and abuse you gave them they simply became compressed. I had the same issue with my E-Maxx. The stock red springs would not hold up the truck the way I wanted it to even with the wide pre-load clip. So I picked up a pack of the heavier (heavier as in harder to compress) white Traxxas springs and problem solved.

The red E Max springs work great onto the Slash! I used those on my stock shocks.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    too much spring wont give you the best possible setup. mess around with your pistons, some how i usually get away with 50 wt front and 40wt rear with 1 hole pistons.
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

With the red springs, I have no spacers in the front and one big one in the rear. Worked perfect but kept bending the shafts
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM