RC Enthusiast

3s lipo gearing confusion.

I have read many posts suggesting low pinion( 12-14 ) with a 54 tooth spur. However in the manual and the site it suggests an 19 tooth pinion with the 54 tooth spur gear. I just purchased my first 3s lipo and was wondering how most of you actually gear your Slash 4x4's. For other needed info it is a Sky Lipo 3 cell, 11.8 volt 5000 mAH battery. I plan on bashing this coming weekend so I have a few days. Thanks in advance, for the advice. I look forward to more of the same courtesy and help I have always received here.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    19t is too high for 3s, the esc will overheat, around 13t should be fine.

RC Competitor
    I'm certain others with a ton more experience will be chiming in soon. I would have to think running 19/54 with the stock motor/ESC won't last long. I geared mine 18/54 running 2S and smoked my ESC on the 2nd run.

RC Enthusiast
    I have been running the 12p and 54 spur gear for a couple of months on 2s with no problem at all. However I do have the stock pinion as well as the optional 18t pinion and an additional 14t pinion. So a happy medium might be the 14t pinion?

Also i should say this is purely for bashing. I will not be running the center dif, only the slipper as I was told center dif and 3s was a no-no.
    Last edited by lickinfrogz; 01-18-2012 at 06:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    14 should be just fine. Maybe you could even get away with a 15.

RC Qualifier
    The 19t pinion is really only good for short speed runs on pavement, it builds heat fast, and it's tough to control the model at full speed. 13t still gives you 45mph, which is still plenty fast, but heat builds slower, and you can run on a surface with more resistance like grass and rough dirt. If you run only on grass, even 13t can build too much heat, a lower gear helps it run cooler. For me a 15t is good for larger open areas, pavement and hard dirt, 13t for short grass and smaller areas. On 2s, 15t is ok in grass, and 17t can be used for pavement without much of a heat issue. If you don't have an ESC fan, and motor heat sink, then you might be even more limited, and might have to run 2 teeth less for a given surface.
    Last edited by alucard0822; 01-19-2012 at 12:42 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been running that same Sky Lipo 3s battery with 18/54 gearing all summer. My motor temps peaked at 190, so I installed a heat sink / fan kit which keeps things at or below 160 degrees F.

Keep in mind though, that 3s bashing will break stuff a lot faster than 2s. But it's fun!!

If you are going to run 3s on the stock motor, I recommended running a heatsink with a fan. I wound also suggest a fan on the esc. I put a hole in the windshield for added airflow. Watch motor temps!!!!!!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    Heat sync has been on it almost since I got it. I do know I will break stuff with the 3s which is why it will be the last battery I use on Sunday. lol . Thanks for the help I've come to expect from this group!