Thread: Pinion Help

RC Enthusiast

Pinion Help

Ever since i've rplaced the stock pinion I have never been able to have the set screw stay in. It would always come loose and the pinion just spins on the motor shaft. I have tried blue loc-tite. What am i doing wrong? Should i try red loc tite?

You need to tighten the dog mess out of it! I always use a pair of pliers to turn the driver when I tighten mine.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mpollee View Post
    Ever since i've rplaced the stock pinion I have never been able to have the set screw stay in. It would always come loose and the pinion just spins on the motor shaft. I have tried blue loc-tite. What am i doing wrong? Should i try red loc tite?
    i Had the same issue. make sure that when your tighting up the set screw that its hitting the flat part of the shaft.
    how long are you letting the blue loctite cure?
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah i know its on the flat part, ive got that much right! um i thought i let it sit for at least a day. not sure though. i just dont see how the entire set screw came out of the pinion. it didnt just unthread, it totally came out. i may try red loc tite and screw it down really hard. With my luck i will probably strip it.

Yes, use loctite!

If you are going to reuse the set screw, clean as much of the old loctite out of it, and clean as much of the old locitite out of pinion. Once it is clean, apply just a drop (which is really too much), then tighten up the screw, ensuring it is properly aligned with the spur gear. Make sure it is tight, but you shouldn't have to get crazy with it, a little L-shaped allen wrench should be plenty (small part in the set screw and applying torque to the long part). Install the motor and set your mesh, then let the loctite cure over night. You shouldn't have any problems.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Put some armstrenght into it you weakling

RC Enthusiast
    I used red loctite and put all the torque i could into it. If it comes undone im throwing all my rc cars away

RC Champion
    I have the opposite problem I can never get my set screws out. I have to pry off the pinion and junk it.

RC Qualifier
    Mpollee have you tried to use a different set screw. im really curious why you keep having this problem.
    i think most of if not all solution that we have mention here should have help to solve your problem..
    Keep us posted KID..........
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Enthusiast
    yeah i bought some aspect aviation set screws that im giving a shot at. ill let you know how it works. That red loctite should definitely prevent any vibrations from loosening that screw

RC Qualifier
    I had the same issue with one of my old drift cars so I used a dremel to put a little notch in the shaft where the set screw sits. It seemed to work.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy711 View Post
    I had the same issue with one of my old drift cars so I used a dremel to put a little notch in the shaft where the set screw sits. It seemed to work.
    Excellent idea, just dont drill out too much. You can weaken the shaft and or cause it to bend.