RC Competitor

Monster Mamba Pro Installed/Slipper Clutch adjustment

Ok so I went ahead and installed the Monster Mamba Pro Short Course Truck Edition. Right now I have it geared 16/54. I'm running 3S 5400 Venom. Is this a good starting point as far as gearing concerned? I was considering dropping down to a 52 spur.

After installing the motor, and changing the stock pinion gear, the gears don't spin when I try to roll the truck. Is it the slipper clutch that needs to be tightened? I did have them moving at 1 point, but now the tires are just locking up on me. When they were moving it was way different than when I was using the stock motor. I'm assuming that the 4 pole motor being harder to turn would cause things to feel a bit different.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my 1st post as I am new to the hobby, but I have been reading a crap ton over the past 2 weeks.

Thanx

RC Champion
    yeah the 4 pole motor does not allow the wheels to spin freely.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Competitor
    So does the slipper clutch need to be adjusted tighter for this motor? Should the gears spin when I roll the truck?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

If you push it hard, it will roll for a short distance. The 4 pole motors don't spin freely.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    My wheels just kinda lock. It's either a slipper clutch issue or shim to tight. I'm thinking my slipper clutch needs to be tighter.

RC Qualifier
    el sob ihave my slipper tight and bout a 1/4 turn out from being all the way tight my lhs guy told me to tighten it all the way is that correct?

RC Champion
    1/4 turn out should be fine

Resistance you are feeling is due to the strong magnets used in the motor, quite normal

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The resistance to roll is normal on 4 pole motors, 1/4 slipper loose is good, 16/54 is a good starting point, but still you can go higer

RC Competitor
    All dialed in. Had slipper clutch way to loose, and gear mesh a hair to tight. Trying to figure out what the difference is between 16/52 & 18/54. It would seem as if they equal out. Is 1 of those more geared for torque, and the other high end?

Thanx for the help folks.

RC Champion
    Not much difference between them

18/54 - 40 mph
    16/52 - 37 mph

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    i run 19/50 with the 2400kv on a 5400 mah 3s lipo and my motor is staying cooler than 115
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Not much difference between them

18/54 - 40 mph
    16/52 - 37 mph

Cheers
    This seems really slow. Would this be considered average speed for any motor geared the same way? What type of gearing would I need to be at 45-50 mph running 3S? I would think in order to achieve that running 3S I would be approaching temps that could possibly cause damage. Nothing really makes sense to me considering Traxxas advertises 65+ mph with the stock setup. I've only had this truck for 2 weeks and smoked the ESC on the 2nd battery. I immediately upgraded to the motor before the new ESC gets back to me from Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    Truck speeds are affected by many different things, kv rating if the motor, voltage of the battery, pinion/spur gearing, and tire size. 18/54 on your 2400kv motor is going to net you a lot less speed than 18/54 on a 3800kv or 4600kv motor. For reference, I run my Slash at 20/54 with the 2400kv motor on 3s Lipo. Have also ran it on 22/54 and 18/54.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Champion
    Traxxas advertising 60 mph with the stock setup LOL Maybe for a few high speed runs

Stock motor gets hot when pushed hard at 40 mph

20/54 with the 2400 will get you 45 mph, 4s same gearing 60 mph

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Traxxas advertising 60 mph with the stock setup LOL Maybe for a few high speed runs

Stock motor gets hot when pushed hard at 40 mph

20/54 with the 2400 will get you 45 mph, 4s same gearing 60 mph

Cheers
    Will running 20/54 give me any heat issues with 3S. 4S would run hotter I'm assuming with the same gearing?

RC Champion
    If the motor has to work harder it will run hotter

Everyones setup will be different, try it and see how you go

Generally speaking running a higher voltage geared for the same speed will draw less amps and therefore run cooler

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by blknryzn View Post
    el sob ihave my slipper tight and bout a 1/4 turn out from being all the way tight my lhs guy told me to tighten it all the way is that correct?
    Like others have told you, that is perfect! I have my truck geared 22/50. I keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I can usually keep the back of my finger on the motor for more than five seconds. I need a temp gun. I recommend getting one to keep an eye on things. Run it and see where you like the speeds and adjust it to where you like and it doesn't get too warm
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM