Thread: battery problem

RC Enthusiast

battery problem

so i got a merv and i went an got the extra battery and the series connector. i ran them 3 times and one of the batteries started smoken and shrank the plastic. so i went and bought another one and the parallel connector. then the other day i was goin to play with it 1 was charged and the other was charging and the 1 that was just sittin there just started smoken. i called traxxas they told me its my esc and to send them my motor esc and both batteries. i told them the second 1 was just sittin there how is it my esc

RC Qualifier
    Hmmmmmm sounds wierd id sent it to them an get a new motor an esc out of the deal. What kind of charger do u have an wat did u hav the amps set at?

RC Enthusiast
    i use a onyx 200 and i charge at 1.5 there are 1.5,3 and 5 amps but i looked and didnt see any one charging them over 1.5. i bought that one cause it charges faster then stock one was that a bad choice. i got the truck this year for x mas and ive only ran it about 6 times.
    Last edited by kevin13; 01-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.

You didn't mention what brand, rating or type of batteries. If you are mixing them up, that generally is a no-no. Specifics of what batteries you are using would be helpful.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    What mah are ur batteries

RC Enthusiast
    1200 they are the stock

RC Enthusiast
    yeah i read that i kno they are nothing to mess around with

RC Qualifier
    They are suppose to be charged at 1.2 amps

RC Enthusiast
    well then my shop got me cause i told the what i had and bought all my stuff from there and they told me it would work

RC Qualifier
    I dont know for sure thats is wat could have caused it but thats part of battery 101 if u have a 1200 mah u charge at 1.2 amp 1500 mah charge at 1.5 amps an so on an so on

RC Enthusiast
    so i should look into at lest 1600 and what brand would you recomend or what should i do. if only i would of bought a charger that charges lipos too

RC Enthusiast
    that is good to kno iv do alot of reading and never seen that.

RC Qualifier
    I would get a lipo charger if u plan on goin lipo they can charge nimh to or most of them can just depends on how much money u want to spend they can go from 30$ an up

venom and duratrax makes 1600mah 2/3a batteries for the merv 1/16 model. tower has them around 16-20 for either one. i got the 1600 venom and are running strong and got the onyx 200 charger as well and they charge up just fine. there's others out there like promatch that makes the 1/16 1600 mah batteries as well there about 17 or so for theirs.
    best to send in to traxxas as mentioned or if your not having trouble with the esc/motor setup then just get higher mah batteries to charge with your charger. exceeding the MAH value of your batteries will always destory all your batteries almost every time.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    If ur gonna stay with nimh traxxas ha an easy peak charger that u just plug it in an wait no settings or nothing

RC Qualifier
    I have to of their easy peak chargers i dont need them if u want them u can just pay the shipping an ill shoot them ur way

RC Enthusiast
    are you talkin about the one that comes with the truck