Thread: Radio Problem

RC Competitor

Radio Problem

SO the other day I decided to go do a little bashing. When I got to the local skatepark my car go about 75ft. from me and I lost control. So I tried again to make sure it wasnt a fluke and same thing 50-75 ft. and lose control. I tried changing the batteries and checked that everything was plugged in and no broken wires. Any suggestions?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    LINK or ??
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    It is the 2.4 radio. It just looses control and then when I walk a little closer it will work again. I checked the antenna wire and it had a small spot were it was smashed flat but the wire was intact.

Have you tried unplugging the servo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
    SO the other day I decided to go do a little bashing. When I got to the local skatepark my car go about 75ft. from me and I lost control. So I tried again to make sure it wasnt a fluke and same thing 50-75 ft. and lose control. I tried changing the batteries and checked that everything was plugged in and no broken wires. Any suggestions?
    If you're using the AM TQ radio, unscrew all of the screws on it an twist the silver antennae on, but if it is 2.4 GhZ I don't know what to say! (Because I don't have the luxury of hving one) P.S. If it is the TQ siries, do what I said above, or at least try!
    And there he goes with the carbon...

how are the batteries in the transmitter itself?

RC Champion
    Sounds like transmitter batteries are low. If the antenna is "smashed flat" that could be an issue too. You said it's still intact? Does that mean the plastic/rubber surround on the wire is still intact or you can still feel wire going straight through? That's cause for concern. Be sure to retry with new transmitter batteries, when mine died I couldn't get more than 20 feet without it losing connection.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Have you tried unplugging the servo?
    What will this do? I dont have the stock servo in anymore using an HS-85

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Sounds like transmitter batteries are low. If the antenna is "smashed flat" that could be an issue too. You said it's still intact? Does that mean the plastic/rubber surround on the wire is still intact or you can still feel wire going straight through? That's cause for concern. Be sure to retry with new transmitter batteries, when mine died I couldn't get more than 20 feet without it losing connection.
    Batteries are new. As far as the wire I cut the insulation back and inspected the wire. It is still intact

RC Champion
    I'm not sure why you would unplug the servo either, perhaps he was suggesting it would cause some sort of interference. I have the HS-85 as well, and I can tell you it hasn't caused me any issues with range. Good that you cut the insulation back to be positive. I have the Spektrum DX3E and it's rx wire is only about 2" so I don't even have it coming out of the box, it's just inside lose and I still get great reception.

Sorry I can't figure out why you would have bad reception. Hope this gets fixed, for now do you have a different tx/rx combo to test out?

Stock servos are known for causing electrical wierdness. Since you have an aftermarket, I doubt that is the cause.