RC Qualifier

4x4 Ultimate, suspension advice?, leave stock adjustments? stiffen?

I got the Traxxas 4x4 Ultimate yesterday.
    The suspension is still set to stock.
    Should I leave it that way?
    It seems to be bottoming out kinda hard... (belly drag) do I just ignore the drag and leave it soft?
    Advice?
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

RC Competitor
    This is a good place to start

http://www.ccctrailers.com/slash4x4s...rm-slayden.pdf

You can also search for slayden and there is a longer write up about his set up

Cheers

Welcome to the forums! I suggest you play with the settings until you find what works best for your driving style!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. I'll get to studying and tinkering..
    I'm familiar with suspension concepts on dirt bikes, and I figure some of that will apply here too.
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Rocky View Post
    This is a good place to start
    http://www.ccctrailers.com/slash4x4s...rm-slayden.pdf
    You can also search for slayden and there is a longer write up about his set up
    Cheers
    This link is not working for me... does it work for others?
    I did find some Slayden stuff... I'll check it this afternoon... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Steve-Slayden
    Last edited by KewlToy; 01-16-2012 at 04:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The truck has only about 2 inches of suspension travel, so no matter what you do, it will bottom out, which is ok, it's light an strong enough that it really isn't that big of a deal. If you set the suspension so stiff, and with a really tall ride height, it will handle like crap, and flip over constantly. You can go with stiffer springs, but they don't do a whole lot to keep it from bottoming heavier shock oil does help some, and keeps heavier springs from rebounding it into the air after it lands off of a jump. The truck runs best with the front axles level or a hair bit lower, the rear a little higher with the axles angling down a little bit. Ideally the truck will have about 1/3 of it's travel for rebound(wheels travel downward), and 2/3 compression(wheels travel upward), if you add too many spacers so there is little to no rebound the suspension can't articulate and will bounce around without really gripping the ground. The stock springs are OK as a starting point, and a lot of people use T-maxx springs to stiffen up the rear, but the +10(pink) for the front and +20(blue) rear springs are about as stiff as you want to go, use 60wt shock oil with most springs, and it does well on relatively smooth surfaces, or off of jumps. For rough ground, lighter stock, or green(-10) springs with 45-50wt oil keep it planted better. In the end it's a short course truck, and not really made for big jumps, it's strong enough to take the ocasional 4 foot leap without damage, but if that is the kinda bashing you want constantly, a monster truck with probably 3 times the suspension travel would better suit that purpose.

RC Qualifier
    Impressive info alucar0822. Thank you very much.

RC Qualifier
    What weight shock oil comes stock in the Ultimate Big Bore aluminum shocks?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KewlToy View Post
    What weight shock oil comes stock in the Ultimate Big Bore aluminum shocks?
    50 front, 40 rear. Those weights are a bit light unless you run on rough surfaces with small jumps.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
    50 front, 40 rear. Those weights are a bit light unless you run on rough surfaces with small jumps.
    Thanks for the info.