RC Competitor

How long can I store a fully charged lipo

I was wondering how long you can store a charged 3s 5000 mah battery. I charged them intending to use them but now I am not sure when I will be running the car. My charger has a discharge option and a store option but I don't know if I can put a charged battery on the charger and select store.

RC Qualifier
    i wouldnt store a lipo overnight fully charged. just tell the charger to store it and it should store it. what charger do you have?
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

RC Competitor
    If your charger doesnt have a batt storage setting just run your battery down to about 1/2 it's full capacity, thats how much you should have in it for proper storage.

RC Champion
    They will stay charger for a long time. But that doesn't mean its good for them

I only keep mine charged for a day at the most. then the next day I don't have to wait for them to charge when I have free time. Then I keep them at 3.80v-3.85v per cell for storage.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I leave mine charged for a few days max... I've never seen a problem with this. If your charger has a "storage" mode use it... thats what its there for. Just put the pack on the charger and let it do the work for you.

for the record, storage level is generally %40 of total capacity. So if you empty the pack to 3.4 VPC you should be putting %40 of the MAH back in to the pack to store it. I know this because my last charger did not have a storage mode and I had to do the math on all my packs. its not hard. Just do it right and you'll be fine.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I wouldn't store a fully charged battery for more than 48 hours. What does the battery manufacturer or vendor have to say about the subject?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    I have an IMEX charger it looks exactly like the Traxxas EX-peak plus charger. I think it is the same charger under a different name except it is black. I tried to put it in store mode but it said it was over charged so I set it to discharge but I don't know how many amps to discharge it at. I left it on the default setting of 0.4A but it seems to be taking a very long time. It's been 40 min. And it's only down to 12.25V

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumdivr View Post
    I have an IMEX charger it looks exactly like the Traxxas EX-peak plus charger. I think it is the same charger under a different name except it is black. I tried to put it in store mode but it said it was over charged so I set it to discharge but I don't know how many amps to discharge it at. I left it on the default setting of 0.4A but it seems to be taking a very long time. It's been 40 min. And it's only down to 12.25V
    Yes it will take quite a long time. Just discharge it as fast as the charger will let you, and check it once in a while.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

i was told you can run it in your car for like 10mins or so then select storage mode on the charger and when its done then put away for the next time you use it. atleast spc told me that 2 weeks ago.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Discharge at 1C or the same amps you charge at. Then, use storage mode. SOME chargers will only run storage mode when the pack is empty... others will do it from any state of charge. Just discharge it first at 1C down to 3.4 VPC and run storage mode. That will work.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Pav has all the right answers about batteries and charging etc........ Wish I knew what he knows.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

I wish I knew what the rest of 'em know. Hehe... Jakey is an excellent source of knowledge. But he's probably out riding his sled right now. So don't bug him. Hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by REM RUSTY View Post
    If your charger doesnt have a batt storage setting just run your battery down to about 1/2 it's full capacity, thats how much you should have in it for proper storage.
    sorry there is actually no way of running the battery down to half full and telling unless you use a lipo checker but you'll still have to balance the cells so a storage function is ideal here.
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Crap. running the battery down is what im doing right now D:

RC Qualifier
    What about NiMh batteries, the reason I ask is because I bought my rc used and it came with both a nimh and a Lipo with no papers for each.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Racer
    What does it hurt lipos to store them charged? I have both of my 3s lipos and my 7 cell fully charged and stored. Thought I was doing them good. Will it damage the batteries?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    hey, i broke sumthing else

RC Qualifier
    Newport Or. Over looking the beautiful bay
    Quote Originally Posted by roughneckreed View Post
    What does it hurt lipos to store them charged? I have both of my 3s lipos and my 7 cell fully charged and stored. Thought I was doing them good. Will it damage the batteries?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    I have always read for best lipo storage is 3.8 to 3.85 per cell and in a cool place.
    FLM E-MAXX 3908 6s
    Rustler VXL x 2 MMP SCT 3800

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by smplgy65 View Post
    I have always read for best lipo storage is 3.8 to 3.85 per cell and in a cool place.
    I have read the recommendations and it seems most/all recommend storage @ 3.8/3.85. What's magical about that voltage re:storage?
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Competitor
    My LHS told my it is better to store the battery fully charged then under charged. He said leaving it fully charged for several weeks would have no ill effect on the battery. The guy seems like a pretty strait shooter but I'm always leery of taken advice from the people that stand to gain from my mistakes.

some are honest enough to tell you the truth and some arent. best to follow your manf. recommendations. email or phone if need be. lipos from what i got from spc and on here is to use your charger after draining them is to storage charge them and they will be ok for a good while. i have had good results from follow the advice on here and the companies when i ask them as well.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Newport Or. Over looking the beautiful bay
    Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    I have read the recommendations and it seems most/all recommend storage @ 3.8/3.85. What's magical about that voltage re:storage?
    I cant tell you the science or chemistry behind storing a lipo at 3.85v but I can tell ya that is what "they" recommend and that is where my icharger 206b is set for out of the box
    FLM E-MAXX 3908 6s
    Rustler VXL x 2 MMP SCT 3800

Storage - Lipo should never be stored fully charged, or with less than 50% of capacity remaining. We strongly recommend chargers that have automatic STORE functions to insure that the packs are in the range of about 60%~70% capacity (3.78V~3.92V resting voltage per cell). After returning home for the day, simply use STORE MODE to achieve this automatically. Batteries are best stored in a cool, dry environment (2~20 C or 37~68 F).
    [We] consider storage to be any time longer than 24 hours. When stored, this LiPo battery pack should be charged to approximately 30% to 40% of its stated capacity, then placed in a LiPo Sack and stored in a cool dry area. Check the LiPo battery pack at least once per month during long term storage.
    Storage: DON'T LEAVE A LIPO PACK FULLY CHARGED FOR MORE THAN A FEW HOURS. When you do not plan on using your Lipo pack(s) for more than a few weeks it is necessary to put a "storage charge" into them. A storage charge is about 50% of the rated capacity of the pack. Some chargers may even have a "storage charge mode". This is about 3.8 volts per cell or 7.6 volts for a 2S pack. If your pack is above this voltage then you will need to discharge the pack to this voltage level and if the voltage is lower you will need to charge the pack up to this voltage level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas
    Storing Your Batteries
    LiPO batteries should be stored at 50% capacity. Store LiPO batteries in a charging bag. Do NOT store LiPO batteries discharged, as this will reduce battery performance and may lead to over-discharging if the packs are stored discharged for an extended length of time. The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus makes it easy to store LiPOs properly; just recharge the pack using Storage mode and it will charge the pack to 50% capacity.
    These are some instructions from various LiPo vendors. They are pretty consistent.
    ALWAYS follow your LiPo battery manufacturer's instructions regarding care of their packs. If they don't tell you how to best care for your packs, CHOOSE A BETTER BATTERY VENDOR.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the input. I don't have a problem storing them at 3.8V my only issue is the batteries were fully charged and I was not able to use the car to discharge them and the discharge mode on the charger is painfully slow. After about 2hrs it hardly went down at all.

RC Champion
    Simplest way I can explain it:

Lipo cells are at extreme stress when fully charged. So leaving them at that stress level will increase resistance and reduce capacity. This effect is less at around 40% or so. So you laptop users out there; don't leave your laptop plugged in when not in use for extended periods.

My A123's have been left fully charged for a whole month at times and they are still ok after 2 years.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Qualifier
    I don't store mine fully charged longer than a week. I have seen data that say a 100% charged battery stored at 77* farenheight loses 20% of capacity per year. That is quite a bit, but usually by 1.5years I have worn out my batteries from using them, so I am not really worried about storage voltage.
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    i drive my rcs so much i have no choice as to leave them fully charged. none spend over 2 days without use. never had issues.

i also have cheap lipos. if you have high dollar lipos, then manufacture recommendation.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.