RC Racer

traxxas upgrades and lipo questions??

Just got summit vxl RTMod and their new blue peak charger and another nimh pack to start. as well as another servo and linkage to connect it. I got about a good fifty charges ran through it now, the axle pin are coming, both stock servos shorted out,shocks are blown, as well as a rock got stuck between the motor and tranny gearz! not to mention the horrific amount of slope in my suspension and steering,lol. Time to mod List includes:Traxxas cvds, gtr shocks,tan/black springs, aluminum rods and balls, rpm arms, metal carriers( First question: where to buy the gmp of hr ones i here so much about??), hitec 5087 servo(should i get two at same time?), losa arm, bearings in bellcrank or a metal one(open to suggestions here??), thicker shock and diff fluid (suggested weight for all around/off-road basher??) as well as shimming diff(where to get those shims??), oh and a heat sink and headlight kit if they ever come out. also wanted to get the 55t spur gear since i run in puddles grass hill climbs.(If i go lipo do i still need to change gearing??)Also would like to use delron revo rockers, but would that lower my ground clearance even with adjustable rods?? I think that about does it for mods that should be stock on there stock for most part,lol.

Now for my battery questions. Since my summit will now be able too handle lipo after these mods i want to get two traxxas lipo 2200mah packs and put them in parallel. First, can i do that?? Or is that too much for stock esc and motor?? Also i run in very met conditions here in the northeast, so can i safely 'plastic dip' lipo packs worry free?? another thing i see in pics is that connection for cell balancer, doesn't that have to be sealed off so it dont short out or get debris in it? my plan was to get trx2917 lipo dual charger adapter, but do i charge at same rate?? so big question is will it cut down my charge times??

Sorry for the cluster of questions and very bad grammar, I'm computer illiterate and have very little time to get on web, so i wanted to bang this out in one shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

RC Champion
    1. If it's the VXL then 2S in parallel will be fine, crazy runtimes!
    2. Waterproof the lipos by putting them in party balloons with the wires coming out of the ends, and around the end put a zip-tie on. Should be fine, not submersible, but more than splash-proof.
    3. TRX2917 will let you charge both packs at once. Instead of charging the packs at 1C (in your case 2.2A (because 2200 mah)), there are 2 of them so you charge as 2S 7.4v 4.4A. Should be roughly one hour then.

Hope I helped!

RC Racer
    Yea, thats good to hear about run times and charging. Why no rubber dip looks so much cleaner and seals good? Any one running those battery change gearing?? when i install hitec5087 do i have to program it with remote? If i get the adjustables rods and rpm arms do i still need shorter rockers. I dont wanna loose ground clearance im ok with the shortened wheelbase.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    LiPo batteries need to breathe.
    If any condensation gets in, it has to get out or it will ruin you battery.

GPM/HR
    Toyz, eBay

Dual servos is up to you... it is a challenge to adjust the fight (to the death) between the two servos with non adjustable linkage. I have been running a single ******* 390 without feeling the need for more torque; if that helps make your decision.

There is another member that tried (I think two different brands) metal bell cranks. They destroyed his servos in minutes. Because of this; I think keeping the stock one clean, installing some bearings in it (5114), and maybe a washer to tighten up the spring could be the way to go. This is how I am going to fix up mine this spring.

I am a basher that occasionally does a few speed runs... I have 60wt in my shocks and 30/50/30 in my differentials (I have a center differential). I am tossing in some 60k & 80k in my next order to get rid of my one-wheel-per-axle burn outs. I have some shocks coming that I might be selling... I need to do some R&D first. They are big bore shocks that I will be able to modify and sell for less than Exotec.

Shims are available at most online shops; including Toyz, Stormer Hobbies, Tower Hobbies, A Main Hobbies, ect.

You wouldn't need to change gearing because of your batteries... you may need to due to heat because of extremely long run times. I get about 1 hour run times with 23/50 gearing on stock MERV tires. You may be good with these numbers as well, but a few different gearing options is not a bad thing to have.

I see you have TRX axle shafts in your order along with RPM arms...
    Did you get RPM for all four corners? If so, you may not have any issues with the shaft popping out due to the axle being shorter than what you need. Just keep an eye on it, as you may need to put MERV rockers on or limit your shock to keep the axle from popping itself out and twisting up.

Hope this all helps!
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 01-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    tons of good info man thanks!, one more quick question about them revo rockers do they lower ground clearance?? can i possibly make up for that with adjustable rods??