RC Qualifier

Is the rally really worth it?

So after reading A LOT about 1/16th scale on the forums, people say they are just money pits, that the servos wear out, you have to shim the diffs (no idea how to) and they always break, SOO should i get one or just get another 1/10th scale?

It seems most of those issues are with vehicles that have bigger tires that are made of soft rubber. Before running it for the first time I put bearings in the suspension and steering (look at the exploded views for the sizes) and it seems to work really well. Haven't had a need to shim the diffs in mine.
    Haven't broken anything on mine.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    They are quite durable. Ours doesn't break much even at the skate park...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    alright, hah i already have bearing sizes and how many i need, haha exploded views dont help me much, if only somone could
    make a video showing me how to do it! (HINT HINT!)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I don't know who's threads your reading... but in general people seem to love their 1/16's. I know all the versions I've owned I have really enjoyed. I have never shimmed a diff. I have never stripped a diff either. I see that it can be a very valuable thing to do, especially on a MERV or Mini Summit but on a rally I really see no point.

I have had 4 rallys.... they were all nearly bullet proof. I had one that was HIGHLY upgraded and one that was completely stock. If your running 2S lipo or 6cell NIMH you won't have big issues with ESC heat. Thats more common when running 3S. If your running a rally and not hitting curbs head on all the time or jumping it you probably won't have any issues with the stock servo. These problems generally pop up on the trucks with larger tires that are being jumped alot.

the good thing about the 1/16 platform is that pretty much all upgrade parts are cheap. If you want a better servo, it will only cost you about $25-30... aluminium bits and pieces are generally in the $15-20 range. Its a cheap and durable platform that has a few downsides like ALL vehicles do. The rally though, would be the most durable of them all because its not built to be jumped and the body protects most of the car.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Thanks dude, and everybody at the friendly forums of URC says STAY AWAY FROM THE RALLY, but only one person said that
    personally to me, I am still undecided about a rally to drift or a stampede 4x4, pretty much the same thing as the slash 4x4

RC Racer
    The servo works great on this car. I own a mini summit as well and the servo on that stripped. But look at the weight it has to push around compared to the little rally wheels. Shimming the diffs is a must on the Mini summit and the merv. But on the rally, you don't need to. There isn't a whole lot of stress on the diff's for a street car. Again the wheels are much smaller than the merv and summit. I have had some pretty nasty crashes with this little guy. But the only time I broke a part I was going 40mph sideways into a dead stop hitting a curb. The only thing that broke was an axle carrier and that is a cheep fix. Not to mention a piece of cake to fix.

This thing is great and a tone of fun. Totally worth it.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! Now all i gotta do is start saving!

RC Qualifier
    Guess it depends on what you want out of an RC... I imagine most of us will gladly disagree with everyone over on URC.

Had my Rally for a year now. It's been nothing but awesome. Tough, tunable, tweek-able back-pack-sized RC that can do drift, grip, and off-road (all in the same afternoon).
    The prototype project.