RC Champion

Project 004: G3R Gorilla-Summit - ALL ALUMINUM SUMMIT

This project really wasnt a project, but a get rich quick scheme. I purchased a rare gorillamax aluminum G3R chassis (hiding in a Traxxas slayer form) for just over $200. My intent was to make it into an e-revo, sell it and double my investment. But I could not find any buyers (a few penny pinchers and tire kickers but thats all). I already have a G2R so this one was not needed, so in my garage it sat

and sat

and sat.

Then my summit was up for a revamp (new locking diffs and axles) the more I worked on it the more it evolved. So Project 001 : Pit Bull Summit is morphing into Project 004: G3R Gorilla-Summit.

Original Project 001:Pit Bull Summit

LETS SAY THIS FROM THE GET GO. OFF THE BAT - NO an all aluminum summit is NOT the preferred truck for bashing , aluminum bends easily, its crap-dip heavy, will need skids due to the holes in the bottom of the chassis (catches on the rocks), scratches, etc etc etc. But I love TRUE CREATIVITY (wait untill you see my home made radio).

And simple "bolt-on" project trucks just scream "hey look at me I have money". (you know - new trenchers, new axial bead lock, more lights, aluminum rods, new aluminum this or aluminum that etc etc). But they do give good info and experience.

So this is just some creativity/problem solving just cuz I could not stand this metal hunk taking up space in my garage. But no, it will not be a shelf queen. Also I wanted more channels for specific individual control for the diffs, tranny, future accessories and possibly some remote lights (gotta have a lil bling). I could have gone with a FlySky 3GTB radio (the 3 channel model has been hacked to allow up to 8 channels - actually really kool) but I wanted to stay with my Spekky DX3R. So I followed this thread (TQ42.4ghz 2channel to 4 channel mod) to add what I needed.

these links/ mods maybe of interest to many of you:

TQ Link 2.4GHz - 2 to 4 Channel Mod thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-4-Channel-Mod

8 channel FlySky 3GTB radio
    http://www.overkillrc.com/gt3b.htm

links might get delete so for the 2.4 tq upgrade radio just search into the traxxas community "radio" forum, and for the 8 channel flysky radio google "overkillrc com GT3B"

First I purchase some cheap new revo aluminum arms - they were new but dirt cheap (entire set was like $26) . They were cheap cuz they were an ugly puke-blue color. But some Oven-Off and metal polish had them into a fine shimmering silver. Silver I believe is the best color for aluminum that is destined to get severely scratched up.

Then I added the summit diffs to the G3R frame. Had to cut a small notch in the aluminum to make space for the diff actuator arm (I could hear the value of the chassis dropping with each pass of the dremel). But it worked out.

Next problem was mounting the summit 2 speed tranny - the G3R was designed for an old style e-maxx tranny and fitment was a nightmare. Ended up makeing a plastic plate to bolt to the tranny then bolt the plate to the frame. The narrowness of the frame will limit my spur choices (the largest/ torque laden spur I could fit was a 58t/18t - but I plan on running a 1700kv Tekin truggy motor to more than make up for the lost torque). I had to mount the tranny/motor in reverse to make adequate spacing for the servo links and used an e-maxx motor mount for proper fitment.

Creating the center axle to fit properly and servo placement are my next challenges.

More to come.
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Very nice job on there, it's interesting you can even move your batts from front to rear or the other way for an optimal weight distribution and you can also put the plastic under tray to do some rock crawling (with your batts in the front for good traction) really nice. Do you have pics from the above to see where you'll putt the servos?

RC Champion
    more pixs are coming (still testing locations for the servos) - The G3R is a racing chassis so it has very low battery placement, great for a lower center of gravity. Also the battery bays are open so, SIZE MATTERS. I think I have the space to strap in a pair of 1,000,000mah 4s lipo batts - just gotta find who sells em.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Nice, I was a little sceptical at the beginning, but it looks great!

Edit: Then you gotta get a crazy powerfull charger!
    This is a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by snowslider View Post
    Nice, I was a little sceptical at the beginning, but it looks great!

Edit: Then you gotta get a crazy powerfull charger!
    Max amps will have a set of those batts. Just have to power your charger by plugging into the sun for a power supply.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    So after it's done and sold, you can buy 2 useable Summits? I intended to make a shelf queen, but I've been to busy driving my Summit to work on it...
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

Quote Originally Posted by satyrisci View Post
    So after it's done and sold, you can buy 2 useable Summits? I intended to make a shelf queen, but I've been to busy driving my Summit to work on it...
    You should check out some of his projects if you haven't alreadyHe makes some cool stuff.project gecko is a pretty cool build.
    a few had the idea, but he did it.Two front halves of chassis joined for perfected 4ws
    Looked good worked good.Had not seen that done.He is always cooking up something different.
    this is no exeption.looking forward to seeing this one
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Thanks Jamann, but yea Satyrisci I feel you. An aluminum truck does not a true basher make, but I am getting more into the crawling scene (just purchased a Wraith but not sure if I really like it or not) so slow crawling with a low side heavy aluminum truck is feasible.

PS - if anyone is interested how a wraith fares against a summit (like I am). the wraith crawls hands down better, especially with soft tires, has custimizable drag-brake and much better slow control. BUT the summit is faster, has MUCH better handling at high speeds, feels more hi-tech with the selectable locking diffs and 2 speed tranny, much-much bigger (at least mine are), more durable out of the box (no easy snapping control arms), and is endlessly more fun. The summit is easier and more spacious to work on. In the wraith just to change the gears you have to drop the entire tranny plate, dividing the truck into lower and upper halves, work around suspension arms and have flexible fingers, remove the entire tranny THEN begin to do the gear change. You could do it with the tranny in the chasis but like I said, you would need flexible fingers. Space is very limited. Not trying to bash the truck - It is still in my "evaluation" phase. But so far my fav is still the summit.
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-14-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Update : As mentioned prior the original G3R chassis is made for racing, light weight with very little space. With all the extra servos and electronic gizmos I have planned I needed much more space. So I made aluminum upper shelves to hold the esc servos and such. I did not want to cut/drill into the chassis so I used the existing holes and some washers to make a tight fit. Bear with me I am still working on final servo placement.

Not quite a beauty queen but it gets the job done. I selected the upper plates narrower than the lower section to help with battery access. Feels nice and sturdy. Once the final fit n finish is done I will loc-tite the screws in place. RX8 was the first item on board. I am trying to follow a "modular" theme. Wiring is still a mess - but it is still a work in progress.
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-21-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    And yes since I love it so much it will/ does have rear steering (4ws). But I have plans to have the controls more precise and direct.

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Looks like it's going to be a great build..Any plans for new body on that beast?
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Champion
    Im still debating on what type of body for it.

Finally got all the servo placements sorted out. I used project boxes for the electronics, so if desired I could easily keep it waterproof. The aluminum "shelves" provided plenty of space for the boxes. My plans includes converting a Spektrum DXR3 into a 7 channel radio, to keep the diffs, tranny, and rear steer totally seperate and individually controlled.

Boxes on the shelves

One box contains the main rx the other contains the Ubec for better power distribution.

wiring needed some clean-up

Final fitment

Next - completeion of the 7 channel radio
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    THE RADIO

I have all the servos firmly in place and working (still will need some final "servo throw" tuning) and I am going full force into the 7 channel radio, Like I mentioned before the easier route would probably be to purchase an 8channel moded flysky radio (approx $45). But just simply buying things is too easy (not my style), so I am making one out of my Spektrum DX3R.

I have an old Traxxas 2.4ghz TQ 2 channel radio sitting around. following this thread I was able to mod the 2 channel TQ into a 4 channel.

my next goal was to merge this radio

into this radio

I decided by using two receivers in the truck (I have more than enough space) I could accomplish all 7 available channels. The 3 channel spektrum will do all the driving (to include rear steering) while the 4 channel Traxxas rx would handle the diffs and tranny servos. I install a BEc to power the second rx and the attached servos.

I made a decision to make the Traxxas second channel (throttle) into a simple two position switch (since the spektrum rx will be responsible for all the driving). It was simple enough just cut the wires to the trigger and attach them to a three pronged rocker switch. I kept the trim knobs attached in case I change up later. Then it was off to the Shak for another project box.

I broke the Traxxas radio down to merely a circuit board, steering control and 4 rocker switches. By pure luck (or by Radio Shacks design) the circuit board fit perfectly into the project box.

I then cut the box in half and drilled holes for the power indicator/ power switch and the men/set buttons

Basically I am creating an I-phone sized/shaped transmitter.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    More cutting / drilling /micro soldering and a few choice curse words later the transmitter box was nearly complete

Traxxas Tq Transmitter box

the fourth switch is installed but unattached - I currently have it attached to the wheel for the second part of this contraption.

topped off with the trim switches in the rear

And the TQ 2.4ghz interface side.

more later
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Great stuff as always...i agree i would rather make a ugly one than buy a pretty one.In your case you get both handmade and looks good. nice work looking forward to seeing more.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Brilliant.

Are you mounting it to the bottom of the spektrum?
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Champion
    OK this project is taking too long, I wanna go drive.

The Spektrum is a great radio but the signal distance pales compared to the Traxxas TQ radios. I believe since both radios require 4 AA batts (6.0 volts) that the spektrum suffers due to the fact it must use additional energy for the screen.

I read on another forum that the Spektrum could be over volted sefely (and also yielded a longer signal range). I know that the Traxxas radios can (I have been testing the transmitter box with a 2s (7.4volt) lipo. So I will discard the AA battery box to make space for a 2s lipo battery.

Did not want to do it - but I did it. I cut into my $250 Spektrum radio. I had to cut some of the guts out to make space for more electronics.

Here you see the Traxxas plug for a lipo batter (bottom of Spktrum radio) . The other two plugs are for the power connection to the transmitter box and the connector for the rear steering.

The plugs to the transmitter box

Overvolting the Spektrum for additional signal range and power for the transmitter box. (I dont know how the 7.4volt lipo is putting out 7.7 volts - but I aint complaining)

Last edited by noir 522; 01-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    The spektrum DX3R comes with a 3-way 3rd channel that can be used for rear steering (full swing left, middle, full swing right) or by using the channel mix feature I can steer both the front and the rear with the primary steering wheel. But to give my self more options I installed a 2nd steering wheel into the Spektrum to have proportional steering to the rear steering system (just depends on to which rx box I plug the rear steering servo into)

I began by installing the TQ steering base INTO the Spektrum radio. I left the springs intact so the rear wheels can still self-center. Had to cut out more of the innards of the Spektrum to give the wheel full turning ability.

The stock TQ steering base

Which I screwed into the inner handle on the Spektrum then soldered the wires onto one of the plugs dangling from the bottom of the radio. After more cutting, drilling, measuring, and soldering I was able to install the steering wheel.

Spektrum DX3R with dual steering wheels

I lost that lil center 2.4ghz emblem. Oh Well.

The wheel works fine but since it must be steered with the thumb and middle finger of the left hand, the same hand that already is holding the handle of the radio. I concluded that the stock Traxxas wheel was too big to operate efficiently. So more wheel options.

Spektrum DX3R dual steering with mini wheel

The smaller wheel is much more comfortable and user friendly. I am still searching through my collection of old radio shack radios for more wheel options.

Most of the wiring is complete (the second antenne will clamp on to the top/side of the Spektrum radio). All the wiring from the spektrum to the Traxxas transmitter box can be plugged or unplugged (modular). So for the days I am running a simple 2 channel vehicle I can simply disconnect the transmitter box from the main radio, disconnect the two plugs and set the tranmitter box to the side for later.

Even though the wiring is complete I am still mocking up how to physically connect the transmitter box to the radio and still allow for a quick and simple disconnect procedure (along with easy access to the battery - hinge system perhaps?). But here is the general picture of the complete system.

Spektrum 7 channel DX3R with dual steering wheels - ( 4ws )

Now I have to practice my 2 handed crab steering maneuvers.

Onto final servo tuning and body choice.

Any suggestions for a truly unique but "adventure-truck" like body? I am considering A Hummer (modified of course) the Helios/ Wart hog, or a Land Rover (if I can find one in the right size).
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-28-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    i could see a mount similar to a scope mount or an accessory mount on a ar-15 or similar rifle.. with the traxxas box slide mounting into the bottom of the spektrum radio... just an idea..

or a more simple approach... good ol velcro.. but i think you have the engineering capability to make my first idea work..

thats a sweet radio man. serious props. im just wondering how soon it will be untill people start requesting you make these for them..
    Last edited by summitcrawler; 01-28-2012 at 09:44 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What about a go-pro style slide mount... Modded of course. Or a camera tripod style mount. Im assuming you'd want something low profile.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    or maybe get a second battery cover for the spektrum and attach the traxxas box to it so you can remove the whole thing and get to the battery and when your running the 2 channels only you could put the other battery cover on.. but i dont know how the battery door works so im not sure if that idea would work.. just throwing it out there..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    ^^ If it would work, that's a great idea. Very clean.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I've got a G3R roller as well, and had thought about a similar project at one time, without the 4ws though, but ended up deciding against it. The G3R still sits, due to the 3906 tranny. FLM used to sell a plate to adapt the newer E-Revo/Maxx/Summit trans to a 3906 designed chassis, but alas, I have not been able to find any.
    ERBE Summit E-Slayer
    EMBE
    Rustler
    P4DE Sl4sh

RC Competitor
    Really sweet project man. You got to clean up that control box on the bottom though. the notch in it would drive me nuts, it looks really sweet and very clean, then the electronics box on the bottom looks a bit hacked.... GOT TO CLEAN IT UP BRO!!! Just my opinion, if you wanna rock it dirty by all means, but if I was doing what your doing i'd spend a few bucks, buy another electronics box, maybe paint it silver and clean it up really good.

RC Qualifier
    Cool project. Keep it up!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    I think your traxxas box looks magnificent!

RC Champion
    Project update

This project turned out to be exactly how I thought it would be heavy and slow. It's really sunk the original summit suspension. I substituted with some Erevo super stiff purple and blue springs but to no avail. The 4 wheel steering made the turning radius spot on but the weight of the summit made me feel as though I was trying to drive a winnebago downhill. I will now close this project, sell the aluminum chassis and start a new summit using a mamba monster esc and dewalt motor. Any interest in an aluminum Erevo roller?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Project 004 G3R Gorillamaxx summit

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Looks sick nice work