RC Champion

Changing out brake discs

What are all of you doing to change out the brake disc?? The only way that I could see to do it was to seperate the front end of the chassis from the bulks and pull it apart. Is there an easier way? It has been such a long time since I have had to do this, that I have forgotten how I did it last time. Somehow I think that I would have done it this way last time too...I just dont see another way.
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

Just pop the center shafts &brake/throttle linkage loose, unbolt the trany & lift it straight up.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

yeah........... either remove the transmission quick so you can move it all around in your hand, or remove the engine would work as well to.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I was trying to do it without removing the trans at all. So I went with pulling the front bulks off of the chassis. That worked out ok too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    For me, its much easier if you take the trans off. but whatever works for you, its all good as long as you get the job done, lol.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    ive done both and for me its faster to pull the trans, not by much though....
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    I personally prefer pulling the tranny. But like it was said before, it's whatever works best for you.
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

If just changing the brake disk, all you need to do is disconnect the center shaft from the tranny output, slide the center shaft together pulling the yoke out of the brake hex and it and the disk will fall out with an adjustment of the calipers. If running CVD or dogbone and cups removal of the transmission is easiest.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    I did try to just disconnect the center shaft and pull it away from the trans, but the 2 halves of the center shaft pretty much touch each other already and there was no room to pull the shaft out and away from the brake hex. Could I be using the wrong center shaft then? Maybe the one I have in is from an extended chassis model? I have the 2.5 4910 model. The reason that I prefer to take the front end off rather than remove the trans is that I dont want to risk stripping out the trans screw holes....I learned my lesson not to overtighten the screws, but still dont want to take the chance.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i know what you mean by strippng the trans screw easily, thats why i use bigger screws like the one on revo trans. i have the gray trans 4907 and with 7 screws holding it, its not going no where.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    i know what you mean by strippng the trans screw easily, thats why i use bigger screws like the one on revo trans. i have the gray trans 4907 and with 7 screws holding it, its not going no where.
    i agree if you use the screws for the 3.3 trans they are more course and less likely to strip, fyi they are the same part number as the head screws for a trx 2.5 engine, i was able to just take some from old engine parts, they are cap head machine screws. dont think theyll ever strip cause of the more course threading
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Champion
    Really??? Thats good tp know. Ever used the Full Force 3mm brass inserts for the trans? Those look a very good investment. Only $6 too

RC Champion
    yeah i put those FF inserts on a few of my maxx trans they work great kinda hard to press in but once they are in they work great.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Champion
    ^^and never had problems with them coming loose on ya down the road?

When the correct bit is used to install them, any of the 3mm brass inserts work well and usually will not come loose.
    You can also use longer hap head screw with a nylock nut on 3 corners of the transmission which is my preferred method.

RC Champion
    The Full Force inserts come with a bit...I think. Will look at getting a set of these when the time comes.

RC Champion
    yes they come with the bit and enough inserts to do all the mounting holes on the maxx style trans (e-maxx too) they have yet to come loose they have barbs on them to keep them from pulling out. i would use a small amount of lock tight as it is now a metal to metal conection.

RC Racer
    where can i get them from. are they available on ebay...
    4910 T maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    i dont see them on ebay but they are on the full force web site 3mm insert

RC Qualifier
    if removing a 4907 t-maxx tranny and then putting it back do u have to readjust gear mesh or it will realign/center itself to same spot as it was once? tranny removal necessary to install the traxxas aluminum hd slipper upgrade?

RC Qualifier
    always check gear mesh. I would say that theoretically it should line up since the tranny is a fixed position mount whereas the engine can be moved all around. Plus your changing the slipper out so you ought to check it anyhow.
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    if removing a 4907 t-maxx tranny and then putting it back do u have to readjust gear mesh or it will realign/center itself to same spot as it was once? tranny removal necessary to install the traxxas aluminum hd slipper upgrade?
    You would think that's the case but as small as these gears are it doesn't take much to be too far apart & eat a spur.

If you have a grey case 4907 trany it already has the torque control slipper in it, the upgrade kit is for the older 4910 black cased trany.

You should be ab;e to change out the slipper plates on the 4907/08 without pulling he trany.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    hey wildman real quick... I ordered the tra5352r for my 4907 grey tranny slipper. youre saying i ordered the wrong part? I wil eventually upgrade to the aluminum pads. In the parts exploded manual it shows the tra5352r as an optional slipper heavy duty part. Let me know so I can cancel that part of my amain hobbies order.

so if i want aluminum pads for slipper is there a specific part number that i need for just the pads on my 4907 maxx?

ok wildman i canceled the aluminum slipper. Can you tell me if these are good pads to run on my 4907 grey tranny? I am assuming all I need is these pads and they should be a direct bolt in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-T...item43c0bffb52

Hot Racing Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3 long graphite slipper clutch TRX15GSL

ok hot racing i think makes 2 diffeent size stock replacement pads standard size and long ones as stock replacements, in aluminum and graphite.

when the time comes to replace the stock slipper pads on my 4907 which of the 4 hot racing ones do u recommend?
    Last edited by Double G; 10-19-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: merge, please use the edit button rather than making multiple posts

RC Enthusiast
    Hi For 3mm inserts for the transmissiion try tony's screws, much better price!

2010, you have the right part, I read it wrong thinking you were asking about putting the "Torque Control Upgrade Kit" #TRA5351X for the 4910 black trany into your grey trany.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

2010, just do the brake disk mod for the slipper pads and forget about it...

RC Qualifier
    so just order the brake disk for a 2.5 max and make holes slightly bigger that's it? thats the only part ill need for my 4907 maxx?

Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    so just order the brake disk for a 2.5 max and make holes slightly bigger that's it? thats the only part ill need for my 4907 maxx?
    TRX#4964, just slightly enlarge the holes till it fits onto the slipper plate's pegs.
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7241

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

TRX#4964, just slightly enlarge the holes till it fits onto the slipper plate's pegs.
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7241
    Yep. I'm running that for slipper pads in my Slayer, works great!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde