Thread: New Summit VXL

RC poster

Question New Summit VXL

Hey I'm new to the forums. I hate that my first post has to be about a problem with my new Summit. I bought a new Summit VXL last week and it arrived in the brown truck last night. I had a power cell charged and ready but it was pouring rain so I waited until this morning to put my first pack through it.
    Right off the bat I noticed 3 problems. First, it needed an excessive amount of left trim. The knob is turned about 3/4 of the way to the left. I tried to readjust the servo arm but it is either too far to the left or right. Second when I give it about 25-50% throttle, it will sometimes just sit there and I can hear the motor trying to turn. The first time I noticed it I didn't think anything of it. But it was happening every 3-4 times I have a go at the throttle. Third thing I noticed, it pulls hard right and flips over when at about 50-75% speed with anywhere between 25-100% brakes. I don't know why it's doing this, as my MERV has never done it.

After my power cell died, I called Traxxas Tech Support. I explained what was going on. He had me recalibrate the ESC, which only made it much much worse. Now when I give it any amount of throttle it will spurt forward about an inch, make noise like the motor is trying to work, then move forward another inch. He suggested that the ESC or motor were bad and that I should send it in for repair. I just got it yesterday and this seems a little ridiculous to me. Shouldn't they have tested this after assembly?

Anyway, I have the motor and ESC from my MERV sitting on a table at home as it is disassembled waiting on a whole bunch of upgrades. Should I send this off first thing, or should I use the other ESC and motor and see if it changes anything? I'm a complete noob at this hobby so any and all advice is appreciated.

Oh and I went back over to the Summit after I got off the phone with support, and the ESC was smoking just sitting there....
    Thanks for reading my first post/Rant.
    Semper Fi

RC Qualifier
    Yes I would recommend that you just send it in to traxxas. I've never had a problem any of my brushless stuff before so it just must be a bad batch of motors and esc's that got put into your truck. Traxxas is really good about that stuff so i wouldn't worry about it too much

If you have known working parts from your MERV, why not test the cause of the issue in your Summit?

I say start swapping parts over, one at a time, until the issue goes away.
    Once you have the faulty part narrowed down, send it in.... and request something (shock oil, diff oil, ect) for the trouble.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Well for starters the ESC is shot. It was smoking. Also the motor is difficult to turn by hand now, so I'm pretty sure its shot too. I will send those in for replacement while I test the rest of the truck with my working ESC and motor off my MERV. What's the turn around time for RMA's with Traxxas?

Depends if they have the parts in stock.

I waited over 4 months for a ESC once... but if the parts are in stock it is usually within a week or so from when it leaves your hands.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Wow... Well maybe this will be my excuse to go big block on my MERV. I trying to aviod sending the whole truck in as I won't have anything to play with for the next week. It's been too cold and windy to fly anything. The RC hobby is quite addicting.

Any thoughts as to why it is pulling hard to the right while breaking? Nothing seems to be caught up anywhere from what I can see.
    Last edited by Eldaren; 01-11-2012 at 01:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Could be and axle carrier and the pivot ball cups and or the tow links. My Mini summit is not tracking straight and I found that it a good cartwheel crash it puts a lot of stress on the axle carriers and tow links. But yours is brand new so I don't know if you have crashed it or not.

By the way, welcome to the forum! The guys here are extremely helpful, so ask away.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaptainic View Post
    Could be and axle carrier and the pivot ball cups and or the tow links. My Mini summit is not tracking straight and I found that it a good cartwheel crash it puts a lot of stress on the axle carriers and tow links. But yours is brand new so I don't know if you have crashed it or not.

By the way, welcome to the forum! The guys here are extremely helpful, so ask away.
    This was right out of the box with no crashes. I want to say it has something to do with the steering servo. When I trim it all the way to the left, it pulls hard left. But if I move the trim any, it wont drive in a straight line. Is there a way to set a different 0 for these servos? Or do I need to get a different servo arm?
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to be here.

RC poster
    I feel your pain. Im currently deployed and in the middle of the desert, ordered my summit waited 9 days to get here, ran a 2 full packs through it, next day wouldn't budge so i had to send it out the very next day i got it, waited.........1 whole month to get it back because of being out here. Turn around was great they fixed it and sent it back out the day they got it free of charge. They are great to deal with when it comes to fixing stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Try re-centering the servo. Set the trim to 0. Take the arm off, turn on the truck, keep the wheels as strait as you can and re-attach the arm. I know there is prolly an easier way than what i just said (if it makes any sense) but i dont know how to describe it. I had the same problem with my mustang steering
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC poster
    Tried that already. The arm will not center out. It will force either the servo arm too far up or down. I set the trim at 0 and just adjusted the sub trim. That seems to be helping a bit. I guess I just need to understand that this truck is not made to handle on the pavement like the revo does. Thanks for the replies. You guys have been real helpful. I got my revo back together today, so I'll be using that for the flat terrain and leaving the summit for what its best at.