RC poster

Noob Questions...

These two questions might already be in this thread but i couldnt find them. I was wondering why when i connect 2 batteries to my car it flashes red and green? also can i use the series connector to charge 2 batteries? All help would be appreciated! thanks!

RC Champion
    Your ESC is more than likely in lipo mode and going into an over-voltage alarm

You need to change the ESC to Nimh mode if you are using stock packs

No, you cant charge batteries while connected together

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by one_bad_***_chef View Post
    These two questions might already be in this thread but i couldnt find them. I was wondering why when i connect 2 batteries to my car it flashes red and green? also can i use the series connector to charge 2 batteries? All help would be appreciated! thanks!
    I have been successfully using the Traxxas EZ-Peak 4 AMP AC/DC charger (Product code # TRA2930) with the Micro Peak Technology using the Traxxas Parallel connector (Product code # TRA3064) to charge two Traxxas batteries - Series 1 - (product code # TRA2925) at once, with no issues.

The batteries do not become hot, nor does the charger. It takes about 15 minutes for the batteries to charge, and I took them to a Fluke multimeter to test equivalency for accurate charging - and both were spot on! They rated in at 8.6 a piece. When they near the end of their charge while in the car and you take them out and put them on a meter they read in at 7.2

The smart technology in the charger was even fooled by the 12 cells and parallel connector. The charger didn't know that it was charging two batteries, it thought it was charging one 6 cell Sub "C" battery or the bigger 7.2 volt pack.

The smart light on the unit even went through the motions and the "green ready light activation" even worked - I was thoroughly impressed, because I had ordered the wrong charger and started doing some testing with the meter and found the draw of both batteries would be almost as equivalent as one sub "C" 7.2 volt pack.

Don't ever hook just one of these 1/16th scale batteries to the product code # charger I mentioned though, your guaranteed to trash your charger and battery very quickly. Be sure to hook both 1/16th batteries up to the charger with the Parallel connector. Make sure the charger is plugged in before you connect the batteries!

I know that charging these batteries at more than 1.2 amps or 1200 mA is not recommended, as a matter of fact it should be around 0.3amps or 300 mA - but hey I'm only shortening the 60 charge life cycle of these batteries by maybe one or two charge cycles - I can live with that.

I've done it before, and I'll do it again, so long as the charger and batteries do not become excessively hot. Mine get the normal warm temperature towards the end of the charge like they should.

Remember, only use the product code numbers given, and I guarantee you won't have to wait two, four or even six hours to run your car.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-11-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Added product code verifications.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Champion
    Just because it works doesnt mean you should do it

Nimh packs should never be charged in parallel, period

Even though chargers are rated for a certain number of cells in series, any more than 8 or so reduces the chargers ability to detect the delta peak correctly

The charge rate makes no difference to the theory behind the process

Charging a single stock pack at 1.2 amps (1c) poses no problem at all on a decent charger

By all means knock yourself out though with whatever method works for you

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Just because it works doesnt mean you should do it

Nimh packs should never be charged in parallel, period

Even though chargers are rated for a certain number of cells in series, any more than 8 or so reduces the chargers ability to detect the delta peak correctly

The charge rate makes no difference to the theory behind the process

Charging a single stock pack at 1.2 amps (1c) poses no problem at all on a decent charger

By all means knock yourself out though with whatever method works for you

Cheers
    Yeah, I know it's wrong; but, I was never one to follow the rules. Your absolutely right though, the delta peak isn't being detected properly because of the twelve cell issue. I was just impressed that the charger was fooled by the incorrect battery arrangement being hooked up period! If the multimeter tells me they are spot on, I'm not going to argue with circumventing the laws of physics for proper charging - LOL.

Later!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC poster
    thanks guy! i also have another question. when i put a charged battery in and turn the esc on its green then goes to red then flashes once then shuts off. im confused!

RC Qualifier
    Is it a nimh battery? Or a lipo battery? I forgot which is which but your lipo cutoff may be switched on or off depending on what battery you are running

Sounds liek over -voltage protection.... It wont let you do it because it detects too much voltage.... Series is horrible on the stock esc anyways... People jsut run it and mash on it, when it is barely speced for it anyways and traxxas explicitly says only for flat, high speed running, not constant startign and stopping present in bashing

ALSO, DO NOT try and fool the charger... it is a stupid and dangerous idea...... nimh need to be charged individually... if you dont have the correct charger to do it, save up the money and wait.....

RC poster
    Ok guys i figured it out. My esc was in liPo mode. Thanks Crusey! very helpful!