RC Competitor

A few inquires about the remote and other parts of this car.

So it seems that this unlocking is done at the remote not at the car, I have a series of questions.
    -If you replace the ESC and motor will you have problems with the speed unlocking
    -Is the telemetry stuff done with sensors or through the motor and esc.
    -If you have a lets say, rustler, and this new remote, will it slow your rustler down if you don't have the i-Device
    -Is the speed proportional steering done on the remote so it will work with all your cars.
    -If you put the mamba system for 1/5 bajas on this will the remote limit its speed or you could you beat the 161.1 MPH RC world record

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by seedorfj View Post
    -If you replace the ESC and motor will you have problems with the speed unlocking
    No, but that seems odd to do, you'd lose the motor telemetry and remote programming. Just unlock the car.... and you can keep the motor in the car.

-Is the telemetry stuff done with sensors or through the motor and esc.
    Both. The ESC logs some data, there's an rpm and temp sensor....

-If you have a lets say, rustler, and this new remote, will it slow your rustler down if you don't have the i-Device
    If you put the rpm sensor in the rusty, used the ESC from the XO you could probably hit the speed limiter. But it won't be at the same speed since the rollout is different.

Seriously if you want a MMM in a rusty, just go do that. There's no advantage to trying to get the XO's ESC in your rusty.

-Is the speed proportional steering done on the remote so it will work with all your cars.
    Depends. I'm not sure of this feature, but for it to work right, they car would have to know its current rpm at the spur with the sensor. If you transported all the sensors, ESC, and receiver over to a rusty it would probably work. But you'd have to have those electronics in every car you wanted this feature on.

-If you put the mamba system for 1/5 bajas on this will the remote limit its speed or you could you beat the 161.1 MPH RC world record
    This might surprise you but there's more to going fast than just horsepower... Although it does appear the XO has taken care of a lot of the issues commonly found at speed.... Also per your first question, there's no limiter if one is using aftermarket electronics...

But sure, a 5th scale system ought to give you more potential. I'm sure we'll see someone try it.
    Last edited by ducati777; 01-11-2012 at 10:24 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Depends. I'm not sure of this feature, but for it to work right, they car would have to know its current rpm at the spur with the sensor. If you transported all the sensors, ESC, and receiver over to a rusty it would probably work. But you'd have to have those electronics in every car you wanted this feature on.
    It could all be done in the TX. Determine speed based on trigger position and adjust transmitted steering input to match. This should work better than waiting for an RPM measurement from the RX before transmitting the corresponding steering adjustments. That means that throttle and matching steering inputs can be transmitted together instead of out of sync as would happen if you were waiting to hear back from the RX.

So which way did they go? I would hope they would have gone this way, as otherwise that feature would require matching components at the far end, limiting the usefulness of this TX when sold standalone. I would expect that they would have designed it to be as widely applicable as possible to maximize their standalone TX sales, but then I'm not Traxxas and (obviously) don't make those decisions.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowFlier View Post
    It could all be done in the TX. Determine speed based on trigger position and adjust transmitted steering input to match.
    Throttle position does not equal speed.... ever notice wheelspin? I can get a motor to spin at 50 mph and the car is only moving 5.

This should work better than waiting for an RPM measurement from the RX before transmitting the corresponding steering adjustments.
    I disagree. I'd rather have my speed be read in real time and adjustments made off real data.

That means that throttle and matching steering inputs can be transmitted together instead of out of sync as would happen if you were waiting to hear back from the RX.
    I'm not even sure what you're saying here.... however modern electronics talk fast, real fast. Its transmitting updates thousands of times a second, its not like the tx writes its signal on a piece of paper and has to wait for someone to deliver the message.

So which way did they go? I would hope they would have gone this way,
    not me. Otherwise every time I hit the throttle, I'd lose a ton of steering. I don't less sensitive steering at speed, but I want the car to know I'm actually moving fast before cutting my steering travel.

as otherwise that feature would require matching components at the far end, limiting the usefulness of this TX when sold standalone.
    I agree. To make the most out of this radio, you'll need a telemetry receiver, the rpm sensor, the temp sensor, and I'll probably opt for the GPS sensor as well, although its more for fun. You'll also need an idevice.

Without these you'll have limited functionality. Its your call though, personally I'll be using the stock electronics in the XO and buying the sensors for my ERBE so that I'll have as much functionality as possible in both vehicles.

I would expect that they would have designed it to be as widely applicable as possible to maximize their standalone TX sales, but then I'm not Traxxas and (obviously) don't make those decisions.

Not sure.... the XO is clearly a focused market car. Its not made for mass appeal. The radio however has some great features, and they'll probably start adding the sensors and new ESCs that can be programmed remotely on their existing model lineup.

But for the early adopters, you gotta pay to play.

RC Competitor
    Seriously if you want a MMM in a rusty, just go do that. There's no advantage to trying to get the XO's ESC in your rusty.
    Well, the advantage would be handling. I was just thinking that not only is it a great car, the remote seems to have tons of potential.
    This might surprise you but there's more to going fast than just horsepower... Although it does appear the XO has taken care of a lot of the issues commonly found at speed.... Also per your first question, there's no limiter if one is using aftermarket electronics...

But sure, a 5th scale system ought to give you more potential. I'm sure we'll see someone try it.
    Actually I wasn't surprised at all. I have done loads of look-ups on high speed RC and the reason I asked here is because a 100mph stock RC should be fine at even higher speeds.

Also to all those who don't know what this speed cap is. I have heard that at 155mph it won't let it go any faster.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, the advantage would be handling. I was just thinking that not only is it a great car, the remote seems to have tons of potential.
    Agree, the radio looks FANTASTIC. However a lot of your questions are ESC related, which is throwing me off. You've at least got me thinking about how the speed limiter can work.

As far as I know, and don't take this as fact... but the limiter is based off the sensor from the spur. In theory you can change gear ratios, and the speed limiter will hold you to about 50 mph regardless.

That implys the rpm sensor goes to the rx, which then reduces throttle signal to the ESC based on the precalculated rollout.... but I think this is just on XO's. But if thats right, then you could buy a second rx and bypass the limiter... maybe. Or it could also imply that if you bought an XO spec receiver and put it in a rustler, it might try to limit your speed too... but I doubt that, I think Traxxas only intends to limit the XO.

Its food for thought for sure. At first I figured the speed limiter was a function of the ESC... but if the RPM sensor goes directly to the RX, then the receiver has to be involved too....

I have heard that at 155mph it won't let it go any faster.

Shrug. I haven't heard that. But even if true, the number of people who've gone faster than 155 with an RC is very few. I maintain its harder than just pulling the trigger.