RC Qualifier

Must have upgrades for Boss 302/ Rally

I am looking for upgrades for the boss 302 and the rally, list them below...

RC Qualifier
    What upgrades are you looking for? Depending on what you want to do (drift rally, speed ect) will depend on what upgrades you will want. Ofcouse you can get ugrades for all three so you can swap out a few parts and go do any of the above, kinda the beauty of these cars...
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas Finned Aluminum Heatsink For 1/16, Traxxas GTR Hard-Anodized Shocks 1/16, Traxxas Shock Spring GTR, Green,
    Pro-Line 2012 Ford Focus ST Clear body, Traxxas Aluminum Toe Links 1/16 Slash VXL, Traxxas HD Aluminum Pivot Balls,
    Are these all correct for the 1/16th rally? I'am begging for feed back! Also am getting strc rocker arms, front and rear, rpm a-arms front and rear, and rpm hub carriers front and rear

This is copied from my URC post, but like i said are these good? anything i should add/dont need, I have a question about the stock shocks, do they come Hard-anodized? or are they plastic?

RC Qualifier
    The stock shocks are plastic. If you get the GTR shocks i think you'll have to put the limiters in them for use on the rally. I dont have any experience with the aluminum toe links. I have used the rpm hub carriers on a merv and had issues, thats why i went with GPM for my stang. Your stock shocks are dbl green so you dont need to buy them. I run double black springs on mine. All the other parts are correct. Most of this stuff is up for debate, some people like certain things some dont ect, ect,
    STRC Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Where do you get the limiters?

RC Qualifier
    I think you can take them out of you stock rally shocks and put them in the aluminum ones. you have to disassemble both, i belive there is a guide in the manual
    STRC Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Awesome thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Maybe a supercharger out the bonnet and some sweet recaro seats to plant your but on. Hurst shifter is a must with all that new power. Do you have NOS yet?

RC Qualifier
    im talking about the rc.....

RC Qualifier
    More opinions...

I can vouch that the GTR shocks (teflon coated anodized alloy with TiN shafts) are super nice, smooth, and don't seem to leak. Bit heavier than the stock plastic jobs tho.

Double-black (4.3lb) springs up front and Double-tan (3.4lb) rear work well for handling.

TRX finned heat sink keeps the motor happy so long as it gets some airflow. Matches the 380 blue color exactly.

RPM hubs are fantastic... A year of running (and some pretty big crashes) and zero issues with them. Make sure they're adjusted right (the retainers not cranked down tight).

I've found other ways to eliminate slop in the links and hollow balls so am not planning metal links... I can't imagine they'd be lighter or more durable than the stock plastic ones.

Alu pivot balls not a bad idea if you're not going to crash much. Light weight and non-rusting are good qualities to have in the outboard parts. The stock steel ones are pretty heavy, but alu is softer. I was considering the titanium ones but they're $$.

Put bearings in the rockers. Suspension action is much smoother than with the stock bushings.

Wheels and tires.
    Last edited by prototyp; 01-12-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ i forgot about bearings in the rockers. I also replaced the bushings in the steering arm with bearings
    STRC Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    what size bearings, and how many?

RC Qualifier
    Check the exploded views and parts lists for the 1/16 models to be sure but i think you will need 8 bearings for the rockers size 4x7x2.5mm and i think the bellcrank bearings are size 5x8x2.5mm and you'd need 2 of them. double check that in the parts lists and exploded views, or search the 1/16 threads its in the somewheres i just cant remember right now what sizes they are
    STRC Slash 4x4

From the parts list:
    #5124 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (4x7x2.5mm)
    #5114 Ball bearings, blue rubber sealed (5x8x2.5mm)
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    whats the difference between a bearing and a bushing?

RC Competitor
    They come with a plastic washer in the rockers and as with anything putting a ball bearing gives smoother response

RC Qualifier
    isnt the washer a lot thinner then the bearing?

RC Champion
    having trouble explaining this really, pictures should explain.

Bushing: just a piece of plastic in this case, mainly a wear point for things, generally has lots of friction.

Bearing: has actual moving parts, hardly has any friction if cared for.
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 01-13-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    haha thanks dude!