RC poster

2.5r vs 3.3 ? what to do ??

i know this is prob a really obvious thing to ask but is there a great difference between these two engines when all im gonna use it for is bashing in the woods or on the local bmx track? today my 3.3 conrod broke off my piston n shot out the top of it. now i can get a new piston, liner , and rod for bout 45 or i can buy a complete rebuilt 2.5r for 35. so i ask you experienced people, will i really notice much differnce if i go with the 2.5r or will i kick my self for not rebuilding my 3.3. your input on power, speed , reliability and all sorts will be greatly appriciated. Many thanks , Craig
    If it's too loud. Then your too old

RC Champion
    I wouldn't buy less of an engine, or one that somebody rebuilt either.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Qualifier
    If money is an issue , its obvious. traxxas has built the 2.5 for a long time and its proven reliability is there. How many threads do you see where a2.5 threw a rod. But on the other hand there is no replacement for displacement. This is your decision. Your truck. Most people will say 3.3 I say its up to you. I run a3.3 in my maxx and a2.5 in my rusty. They both run great.

Sent from my workbench
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Qualifier
    I loved my 2.5. Easy to tune, good reliable power. If you can afford it, go the 3.3 route, you wont be dissapointed. But if a 2.5 is more up your alley, you still will have alot of fun. I even had fun with the little pro engine. Not alot of power, but I think that thing would even start without a glow plug lol (just kidding). It was super reliable and held a great tune.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC poster
    Yea I'm probibly looking at rebuilding my 3.3, moneys not a real issue but if the 3.3 turns out that I've got to rebuild it every 5 liters or so I might go for the more robust 2.5r. It's just a pain not having a truck to bash. Although , it has give me the time to strip it down to nothing n give it a clean
    Last edited by Double G; 01-11-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: offensive language removed

GOing form the 2.5 TMAXX to the 3.3 may require some driveline upgrades.... Many just upgrade what breaks when they install the 3.3. Heck I find it a little easier to tune then the 2.5 or the 2.5r
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    I really like the 2.5 motor. In a lean (lightweight) t-maxx it performs very well. However if you want to run big tires, alot of aluminum, roll cage ect, the 3.3 fairs better at pushing that extra weight.

There really isn't that much price difference between the motors. As some other has said though it might cost you a bit in drivetrain upgrades.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    If money isn't an issue, I'd buy the 2.5 and the rebuild parts for the 3.3. Throw the 2.5 in the truck while you're rebuilding the 3.3 then you'd always have a spare... LOL
    07 700 SE
    03/04 660
    85 FL350
    86 V65
    78 Z50

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 454_72_4x4 View Post
    If money isn't an issue, I'd buy the 2.5 and the rebuild parts for the 3.3. Throw the 2.5 in the truck while you're rebuilding the 3.3 then you'd always have a spare... LOL
    Now that is a good idea ! I like that option

Quote Originally Posted by 454_72_4x4 View Post
    I've always got a spare. It's always nice to have one... You can even try engine modding if it interests you. Make the 2.5 a sleeper and surprise everyone....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    I've got an old thunder tiger pro .26 engine ( 4.6 I beleve ) but I just don't see how I'm gonna get that monster in there, it's from a 1/8th car n it just looks huge, might work if I get an extended chas plate.