To big block or not to big block

I just picked up a castle 1410 1Y 3800kv motor.
    Set up for crawling should i drop it in the Summit VXL?
    My thought is more power and torque and crawling = less work, less heat. Am i on the right track? Or will this motor just tear everything up?
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

I'm surprised i didn't get a response on this. With the truck being pretty much set up for crawling. diffs locked up pretty good and the trans flipped what would that 4pole do to the drivetrain?

Also in other news i picked up a Proline bug body today for something different. No ideas on paint scheme yet. might even just go solid color, nothing fancy. And quickly realized once it was cut out i do not have any revo body posts... back to the LHS tomorrow.

I do like the body on there though, kinda gives it a scaler look with the 1.9" tires i have on here.
    Found a rear post so i can at least see how it fits.

Last edited by Cameron; 01-24-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: peeeectures

RC Racer
    I'm wondering similar. I actually have a Sidewinder SCT/3800 that I pulled out of my Stampede before selling the roller. The issue with the 3800 is you definitely can't run it with the stock ESC. The other thing is the motor isn't smooth at low speeds at all. You basically have to "bump" it to get the truck rolling them let off the throttle and roll slowly. It has way more torque than the chassis needs, but should be fun.

Which ESC do you have?

if i big block i'll pick up a minimum of a SV2 sidewinder. maybe a mmp if the price is right. right now the motor is a spare for my slash 4x4. just thinking it may work in this rig. that is if it is not going to shatter drive line with the torque. dead roll this thing sounds crazy. kinda like an electric drill with a ton of load on it.

it rolls surprisingly easy mind you. not much force at all needed to dead roll it.
    Last edited by Cameron; 01-24-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: videooooo

RC Qualifier
    I say go big or go home

I killed the stock 380 motor AND ESC a couple weeks ago, and I just bought a Sidewinder SCT last night and I'll be ordering a motor soon, although I'm still unsure what motor I'll go with, but it'll be a 1/10th for sure. I'm hoping that the larger motor will be a lot better, as the 380 use to get REALLY hot (that's why it went out, lol), but I'm sure my gearing (or my driving habits) didn't help but mine's definitely not setup for crawling. it was pushing 35-40mph with only 2s the way I had it geared before (yes it was completely uncontrollable, lol), and I beat the snot out of the little thing... it'll be even more insane after the BB swap
    Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-24-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    fix, run, break, repeat

im sure the big block will be better im just worried it may be too much torque for the driveline set up the way it is.
    i suppose i could gear it to compensate.

RC Qualifier
    oh I know I'm going to shred center drive shafts, lol, I was killing them with the stock 380 motor

I'm running the steel CV shafts though and I have yet to harm them
    fix, run, break, repeat

Can a summit with a bug pull off a MERV wing... i'll tell you in a few.

Summit bumpers looked funny... gonna try a merv bumper set and the wing.

I think that will look ok.
    Last edited by Cameron; 01-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.