Thread: shock oil

RC Qualifier

shock oil

Hey guys. I just recently rebuilt the shocks in my buddies MERV, and from what I gathered 70w is a good oil to use in those for general running. After I got them together they felt REALLY good; nice and smooth and perfect dampening. Well I decided to rebuild the shocks in my Summit and used the same 70w oil, and they're WAY too stiff... Haven't really ran them yet as I just finished rebuilding them last night, and I'll be taking it with me tomorrow and running it on my lunch break (along with my buddy and his MERV). The only thing I can assume is that the bypass holes in the piston ring inside the shocks are smaller on the Summit than they are in the MERV (I know the rings were a different color anyway; the Summits are red while the MERV's are not; can't remember what color they were, but they weren't red, lol). I know the springs are actually thicker on the Summit than they are on the MERV, but that wont have much to do with the dampening effect as much as the oil weight will.

What's a decent weight oil to run in a general basher? The truck is slung low with P2 rockers and all of it's running is usually on hard ground or pavement, the clay track local to me, or just jumping it and trying to break stuff

Alternatively, I could try to open up the bypass holes in the pistons with a tiny drill bit to make them more like the MERV's; I REALLY like the way the MERV shocks came out... Anyone ever tried that?

Thanks!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 01-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.

RC poster
    why not buy a set of merv shocks and use them instead of risking damage to a good pair of shocks ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisk2010 View Post
    why not buy a set of merv shocks and use them instead of risking damage to a good pair of shocks ?

that is a good option as well, lol

OR, I might just buy a MERV shock rebuild kit

but it would be nice just to get a full set of shocks, just to have spares

RC poster
    i say get a full set. and have spares