RC Competitor

Question Wont shift into 2nd

I just rebuilt my transmission because i had to put in a gear shaft (Part 4993) and a primary gear (Part 4992)

I have the old style black transmission. I had to replace these things because It would slip anytime it went into gear. I just finished rebuilding it last night and tried it out. It went in first fine, but it would not shift into second. I tried adjusting the shift point by turning it out counterclockwise. It did nothing.

Could I have put something together wrong in the transmission? Could I have damaged the spring that you adjust when you adjust the shift point? What should I do?

Thanks
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyt1994 View Post
    I just rebuilt my transmission because i had to put in a gear shaft (Part 4993) and a primary gear (Part 4992)

I have the old style black transmission. I had to replace these things because It would slip anytime it went into gear. I just finished rebuilding it last night and tried it out. It went in first fine, but it would not shift into second. I tried adjusting the shift point by turning it out counterclockwise. It did nothing.

Could I have put something together wrong in the transmission? Could I have damaged the spring that you adjust when you adjust the shift point? What should I do?

Thanks
    i wouldnt think you damaged the spring but who knows, just make sure your adjusting the right thing as one is a set screw that holds the clutchassembly tight, and one is for adjusting the shift point, id keep bringing the set screw out counterclockwise till it shifts where you want it, i mean dont bring it so far out its falling out but that should not happen before it shifts.
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    if you losened the clutch assembly then this would make sense as the clutch is prolly grabbing but the assembly is slipping anyway...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    maybe check place the shift point really early and try it. i had this issue not too long ago but it turned out it was just stuck in 2nd gear and would never be in first. i couldnt figure how to fix it so i just used a new 2nd gear and swapped it out.

oh and make sure none of the little stopper spline thingy that holds it to the shaft havent came out. sorry for my horrible explanation of parts lol

RC Competitor
    Ok. is there any way i could have put the gears together wrong? I followed the diagram and everything fit together
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

Since you replaced the primary shaft you had to remove the primary clutch hub to install it on the new shaft. If it is installed backwards it will not shift.
    The recessed side of the clutch (around the hole for the shaft) goes toward the inside of the gear. The raised portion of the clutch should be visible when installed correctly.

The slipper shaft (4992) can not be installed incorrectly.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    Is this clutch hub part number 4988? So if this is on the wrong way it won't shift?
    Last edited by robbyt1994; 01-08-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

Part # 4988 is the 2 speed clutch
    http://buy.traxxas.com/popup_image.php?pID=7297

The raised portion at the center hole has to installed on the shaft so that you can see it when the gears are assembled or it will not shift.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    Thanks! I checked and I had it on the right way. I took it off anyway and reset it and now it works perfectly!!!
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH