RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

would you call it a Sl2sh or a P2de XL

I've got a couple slash mt's, I did a wide wheelbase build recently and the outcome is awesome. Bald's 3.2 mod + a set of wheels I've been sitting on come together like magic. For a couple of days I've been stomping the life out of this thing lol. It feels like my old H-Bomb back in action again. It now longer has the straight shot control of a race bred slash but still easy on the wheel cause of its stance. In the air I get lots of attitude control because of the heavy wheel/tired and tons of power. This sucker just screams pede to me lol. Wheelies as far as you can hold it from wobbling and cartwheels as like a gymnast lol
    So my question to the p2de forum and community is do I have a pede xl or a monster slash? My wheelbase is 13" front to rear axles and 11" wide from hub to hub. This would be outside of a race platform and falls in the ratio of monster truck if you look at summit, revo, maxx as an example of mt wheelbase.
    basically, I get no luv from the slash forum, rare that a racer would appreciate this truck, even at my track they think im a wacko to spend $ on this sort of slash project. You guys love mt's like me but are loyal to the short and squirrely machine you love as is. Few of us go big and wide like I always do with my H-Bomb and Ballistic builds. Can I jump in with you guys, call it a p2de xl? Its about the same as my other 2 trucks that were " shorter and not as wide.
    I would love to post pix and go forward with some talk and laughs but first need yours and the mods approval.
    I run a blacked out slash chassis with slash bumpers from RPM and Proline. Knave a CC 2400/pro combo on 3s-4s, protrac, pede toe links all around, thedreadedend's wheelie bar, 2.8 trenchers, raptor body for slash that makes it a monster lol.
    So what do you and the mods think about a p2de xl thread? Stock slash to my slash comparison ....
    Baldy, you got my back? I may need help here lol....

and my truck

Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    You know I got ur back man! Plus i jump at the chance to show off my favorite Pede.

My Hot Racing Pede sports a 13 inch wheelbase by way of a custom made 1/4" thick aluminum 2.35" extended chassis that is based on all other dimensions of the stock chassis, except for the length. It has protrac front and rear arms and uses the protrac links with Trx long rod ends, emaxx steering drag links and boasts an adjustable track width of 13-14.36 inches by way of Hot Racing aluminum Wheel extensions with 12mm to 14mm adapters. Has HR aluminum front and rear shock towers, HR 1st gen alum transmission, HR alum servo mounts, HR alum c-blocks, HR alum shock caps on full aluminum teambluestar threaded body shocks front and rear, HR alum shock mounting hardware, HR alum gear cover, HR alum diff locking spool, Trx alum front and rear carriers equipped with boca ceramic bearings, HR alum rear body mounts, full brace edition swami-bar wheelie bar with Trx alum wheels, Tonys screws full hex hardware conversion kit, slash 4x4 front half shafts fitted with my custom made extended 5mm stub axles. Rpm slash front bumper and trx black front skid plate. I use several different sets of 2.8" tires trimmed and mounted on 3.2" wheels. The power comes by way of the castle/dtx Element esc paired with the vxl 3500kv motor and is powered on only 3s or 4s lipos all using trx connectors. For control I use the flysky gt3b tx and rx in the Trx sealed rx box. For effortless steering I use the HS-7950TH Ultra Torque HV Coreless Titanium Gear programmable Servo and the Hot Racing aluminum HD servo saver.

This HR Pede is a 7.3lb monster, and that is without batteries installed.

I have no doubt in my mind, and noone could ever convince me otherwise, that this truck was and still is a Stampede!

Some pics:

As "Project Purple"

Hot Racing Upgrades

Street mode

This one is using stock chassis with a variation of the rag6 extension

Next to my sons emaxx

Chassis pics with skis installed

I like the idea of a P2de xl thread or even just a sticky of a pics gallery, but it would be very hard to classify which trucks do and don't belong in it. Seeing as my p2de is so heavily modified, far be it from me to tell anyone that their p2de based build doesn't belong in a certain category.

In regards to your build, it too is a giant among stock salas's or p2des. Since parts are so compatible between the 2wd slash and p2de, your truck could fall under either category. The one thing I would have to say that would be the deciding factor would have to be the chassis. The chassis is one of the most drastic differences between the two, but like I said before, far be it from me to say which category it belongs under. My HR p2de has the slash protrac arms the slash HR towers, slash HR trans, slash 4x4 shafts etc, but has the pede based chassis. Some would consider it more slash than pede, but could never sway my feeling about it. Lol. Either way, it's an xl in any of the two classes!

One thing I have realized about my HR P2de in the last few days, is how much easier and more controllable it is compared to stock. Also impressive is the massive beating my HR takes with all these upgrades on it compared to a mildly rpm upgraded stock vxl. I recently purchased an nearly stock vxl p2de that came with rpm towers, c blocks and front arms. I then put rpm front and rear carriers on it. I have been so used to running the HR pede, that this stock setup is just wild and unpredictable to control in comparison. This was causing the truck to cartwheel quite a few times, and in three 3s packs, I've broken a rpm front c block, front steering knuckle close to steering link mount and a rear carrier about 1/2" from where the link mounts. It was pretty cold outside (-15-20C) when I was running it, so I'm sure this was a big factor, but I thought rpm parts would fair a little better from all the good reviews ive read about them. I've only used an rpm slash bumper on my HR pede with good results, but being the first rpm upgrades I've ever used other than the bumper, I am far from impressed in their durability, especially considering I didn't hit any jumps whatsoever with the truck and drove it on-road and what I would consider extremely mild in comparison to the way I punish the HR pede. Apparently bigger is better!

Man you gotta slow down with the cool threads! I'm still working on my reply to the cool pede thread, then I saw this one. Hard to keep up. Lol

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 01-09-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Hehe Nice. Dread i gotta say this. Maybe, just maybe if u were a new guy we would have some more debate. But u have far paid ur dues here. So i say, ur home!! . It looks like a pede, just with a Slash chassis, so an alternate ext chassis pede, hehe, and since they are all about their realistic lookin short courses, and we boys love our monster trucks, than definatly at ur home!

I cant speak for everyone, but I have a feeling that this will be the common. . Not to mention that since this is my home, i am close to calling my "rustler chassis'd Street Stampede a Studler, cuz im a Pede guy all the way, than I better do all the lobbying i can before then lol jk.

But one thing though, u got my positive vote and i say thats a alternate'd chassis extenda Pede! Not to mention most of us have Protrac Arms, so thats nothing outa the norm and didnt ya already post ur ride in, now thats a cool "pede" i say ur home !

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I got love for you and your trucks in the slash forum. You got a slash mt there, and baldy has the pede xl. Just the way I see it though... but you can call your truck whatever you want and its valid. (.)
    Ill get pics up of my slash mt carpet racer here soon.
    Last edited by rag6; 01-09-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I like the Raptor Body

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I call it one awesome Pede if you ask me. Maybe a Slede??? LOL but since you gave us the preferred names I'd call it a P2de XL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rag6, always look forward to you getting online cause ya, you always have great input. I come back over here because im riding the line on slash/monster and man, its lonely in the slash forum going this route lol. I absolutely understand the love they have for the racers and just like at my track, most just don't get it or even entertain the idea of a sl2sh mt. To most of the racing guys, I just screwed up a perfectly good truck lol. My threads quickly fall back page after page in the other forum. Unless it can be applied to a track ready slash, its on page 2 by morning lol. Guess I just want the fun chit chat we have, about our mods and finds. Its what keeps it coming for me. And most of my work will apply to your trucks too, but not theirs. Most of what I add or mod will be direct fit for pede or I'll give you an alternative part # to get it done. Thanks guys, we all can get a bit lonely from time to time lol.

I took this yesterday just before crushing the internals of my diff. Notice it lacks landing marks lol, I clear the whole thing. I have a landing ramp stomped out just after the bush at the end. On a fresh battery, it goes all the way to the street.

I'll try to get some help for a vid today lol
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-10-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Whew thanks for the fix on the link. I was fixing to PM you! LOL That's a good spot to have some fun. Wish I wasnt at work, i'd be out bashing too! Now I can't wait to see the video you post. I purchased a GoPro Hero about 6 months ago and a couple weeks ago I bout the headband for it. So hopefully I can get some good video up.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

First 6 second got me laughing
    Hay fellas I've got some editing to do before I post the vids but till then here's a clip I made today. The first few second made me rotflol, my euro p2de XL exhaust kit lol I'll get more up, lil lady said she will do some vids with me too so that makes it lots easier!
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.

LOL now that's funny. Great sounding exhaust you got there.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

For a second there I thought you crossed over to nitro! Lol. You're pretty brave with all that traffic right beside the ramp, one bad cartwheel and...CRUNCH! Where I live, there's about 2-3 cars passing by per hour, and they'll stop to let my truck cross.

RC Qualifier
    Dread, your just looking for attention... LOL just kidding. I like it. I have been contemplating something like this since i am some what bored with the rusty.. Do you think a MMP and 3800 would push something like your truck or is it getting to the max of the motor with weight and tire size?

I live "in town", like out my door and turn left, you get shot. Turn right and you cross some beautiful italian then asian community with fine architecture and clean living. I just do the best with what I have. That spot at subway in the video has been my favorite for over a year now. My last residents had a yard I carved up as seen in the other vids with my H-Bomb. As far as traffic, I've never even gone over the curb, I stay clear of traffic and subway lets me use their broom so I can clean the chips I kick up. I do watch for subways incoming traffic and I also give the gas station a look for their out traffic. Last thing I want is a slash skateboard.
    I had a 3800 in this truck but I couldn't find a sweet spot for 3s and 2s with it. I use a MMP for esc and the thing flies. You can go with it, it'll be within its range just fine. My merv was looking for some power so the sl2sh donated. I put the 2400 in just for the heck of it. In my case, I through in the towel without getting in dialed in but I'm more than sure a day outside with a bunch of pinion gears, 3s, and 2s batts, I could have been done and happy. But again, my merv wanted the guts ripped out so I installed the 3800 like it wanted. Go for it buddy, weather you go slash mt, p2de, or slash sc, I bet you'll be asking "what's a rustler" in a week lol.

Here is my carpet eater:

bent my swami plate:

I have not figured out how I will mount the rear sway bar yet. I dont like the way that it is supposed to mount(shock tower). Think I will mount it on the chassis under the rear skid.

Last edited by rag6; 01-10-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: double

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    I had a 3800 in this truck but I couldn't find a sweet spot for 3s and 2s with it. I use a MMP for esc and the thing flies. You can go with it, it'll be within its range just fine. My merv was looking for some power so the sl2sh donated. I put the 2400 in just for the heck of it. In my case, I through in the towel without getting in dialed in but I'm more than sure a day outside with a bunch of pinion gears, 3s, and 2s batts, I could have been done and happy. But again, my merv wanted the guts ripped out so I installed the 3800 like it wanted. Go for it buddy, weather you go slash mt, p2de, or slash sc, I bet you'll be asking "what's a rustler" in a week lol.
    I bet i can find my sweet spot. I think i have it now using the 2.8 Badlands on my Rusty with 2 and 3s. Realistically all i really want the slash chassis swap for is the high GC in the center and length to help with the constant wheelies and push..

RC Qualifier
    darn double posting....

Mine just doubled also, something weird is going on when I am on this site.

RC Qualifier
    glad to know it is not just me.. Seems if i have a pop up about leaving the page, it still took my post and i just need to close that tab... might help if that is what your getting too.... but on a positive note, i change my email and i am now getting my notifications again! sorry for the hijack

RC Competitor
    So what's the term I learned this week... oh yeah, it's called inspired ... That is me... again.... I guess I'm gonna have to try one of these.
    Funny thing is , I just picked this up on ebay last night, was gonna take some parts and resell, I guess I might have to go for a Slampede of my own...

Thanks guys, the wifey will appreciate this one....

RC Qualifier
    hmm.. i'd look at welding plates and make a sand rail out of that cage WOW!

Oh ya buddy, you got most of what you need right there, if not all of it. Those tires, badlands, the best tire on the planet in my opinion. I've got a tire dump started filled with badlands, well they're bologna skins now lol. Tell ya what, you sell that thing (depending on the look on your enforcers face when you tell her your keeping it) I would be interested. You could make a crazy beast out of that, I could hint, hint.

Quote Originally Posted by bgfloorguy78 View Post
    So what's the term I learned this week... oh yeah, it's called inspired ... That is me... again.... I guess I'm gonna have to try one of these.
    Funny thing is , I just picked this up on ebay last night, was gonna take some parts and resell, I guess I might have to go for a Slampede of my own...

Thanks guys, the wifey will appreciate this one....
    Ooooh....Hot Racing Parts! Lol. Love it! Don't let that transmission go, they discontinued the black and silver ones now, too bad cuz I woulda put one on every one of my trucks. What's with the brown transmission case in the background? Is it painted er what?

RC Competitor
    actually, what you're thinking is brown, is actually red, I assumed the rit dye... The tranny on the left and the chassis are both dyed dark chocolate brown.... things that make you go hmmmmm....

Looks like you are going to have some fun there!!! Wooo Hooo!! I've always liked those HR Tranny Cases, ever since I seen Baldy's I fell in lovel LOL Great set of parts for a fun build. Cudos.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    i'd buy it too~! LOL

RC Champion
    Hey Dread. Sorry to bring up an old thread but your build inspired me to start a similar build. I have wide pede and a slash that and I need to get rid of one of them, but I really liked the good out of each. This is great for me. Anyways, did you just use protrac and hex extenders to widen it?

BTW great looking and performing truck.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MotorStuff View Post
    Hey Dread. Sorry to bring up an old thread but your build inspired me to start a similar build. I have wide pede and a slash that and I need to get rid of one of them, but I really liked the good out of each. This is great for me. Anyways, did you just use protrac and hex extenders to widen it?

BTW great looking and performing truck.
    Boy oh boy, I think turn gonna love the feel of this kind of truck hahaha its the dreadedend of normal rc lol.
    I'll put some pix in here to help but its very simple, yes I run the protrac on a sl2sh chassis. Nothing special lot extra to make that happen lol. Most of the magic is outside the wheels. Be informed that a truck like this will take some suspension parts, chew then up, and spit them out in your face. Axles carriers, and bearings will be some of the things you may find as week points. You can address these issues with upgraded bearings or different alloy like FLM carriers, strc is what I just picked up. I've twisted 2 sets of trx c-hubs in 2 months, some small parts that are in our suspension are being stressed beyond its purpose and intended use. It really hasn't cost me much to run the truck these last few weeks. After getting all slop worked out, its become much more reliable.
    ok so, this first pic shows it all, just a simple slash between the wheels with protrac kit components giving me a bit of extra reach.

In the second pic, you can see the depth of the wheels a, you can also see the backside of the wheels. They are a full offset

The combination of 17mm hubs and huge offset wheels are what makes this truck so nice and so wide. It brings the wheelbase out to give the "monster truck" feel and behavior.

I run a truck like this because I don't want to go 6-8 bills deep just to open a box on a big truck. I don't want to deal with dual battery powered motors. But I do love the size and feel of a big truck. Just scaling up lol.

RC Champion
    Hey dreaded long time no see. Whats the wheels on that last rig?
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

Hay buddy, ya, its been a while. These wheels are 3.2 Ofna mt3 splits. I wrote a thread about mounting 2.8 tires on them, making it about 1/8 larger than if mounted on the proper 2.8 wheel. I did this set so I could have the large trenchers with a low pro look and less sidewall flex and traction rolling. And you also get a monster sized wheel kinda like rc dubs.