Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

SPC Li-Po Power!!!

My very first Li-Po battery just arrived in the mail today!! Ive taken the advice of others here and ordered a SPC 11.1V 3s 5000mAh pack.

Im eager to charge and slap it into my Pede but being new to Li-Po, I know there are few things I must do first... just not very clear on them.

1) Will my Radient Primal charger do the trick? It has a 3s port (plug). Is it as easy as plug n let charge?

2) How do I change the setting on my Velineon ESC?
    ArmyAnt

RC Qualifier
    Your going to need to press the button on the esc and hold till you hear a tone the light will turn from red to green to run lipo
    Last edited by Brewers74; 02-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Ya SPC makes some strong packs. I think you should take a few minutes to refresh your memory with lipo charging with your charger. The charger manual will give far better and accurate support. We here can't do that per traxxas community rules. But take your time and make sure you understand the steps before starting at all. Before you know it, you will find it as easy as nimh. Congrats and enjoy, you picked a fine company to buy from.
    Lol I doubt anyone gets it but ya that just happened lol
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 02-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Watch some youtube videos. For example, If u own a Thunder AC6 pack, There are videos specific to it before doing so, and lots more on lots of different chargers specific to them.

Also, Take this advice from someone who knows, Make sure U charge on Lipo BALANCE. Not Lipo Charge. U dont wanna overcharge a specific cell, and have it overcharge a specific cell, Make sure u have a Lipo Bag, U charge it on something non-flammeable like carpet is.

Also, Read read read before u first charge it. Personal advice, if it goes bad, it goes bad. Read online info about Lipos, and most importantly, Like dread said. Read ur manual ALL the way through. Its easy once u know, but if u approach without any doubts,things can go wrong fast, and can literally burn ur house down. Not to scare u, but Lipos arent to be taken lightly without the proper education about em. Once u do, ur good. They are only dangerous to ignorance. lol.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Loot, did hobby partz ever take care of you?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Loot, did hobby partz ever take care of you?
    not yet cuz I was doing some Tests like as I was PMing you, but Now I am TOTALLY going too... Oh ya. I will be contacting them tommorow for or monday for sure! Its unfortunate I didnt finish my tests before the weekend closing, but absolutly.

Btw.. This is how to charge ANY Lipo.

hey thats a nice setup there, with the fire exten, and lipo bag, i'll be getting my ac6 tomorrow in the mail but mine will be new-used, will have to get the lipo sack though but will charge in a fire proof bucket.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    Congrats on the lipo power. That's the same pack I got. I don't know if there was any documentation from SPC about this, and I don't know if this is right, but there may be a slight break in period with the lipo. I do know that after about the 8th charge or so, the power ramped up

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Congrats on the Lipo. SPC are some good strong bats. Read up and do some homework. They are really easy once you get the hang of them. Be sure to balance charge, storage charge ( typically 3.8v per cell ), and keep them stored and charged in a Lipo sack or cash box. A little safety and awareness goes a long way.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Thanks everyone for the advice.
    ArmyAnt

The first handful of uses I'd take it easy on the packs no WOT. This will open those packs and make them stronger. I used the charger to charge and discharge them. Then you are good to go with them.

When i said DISCHARGE I meant to 3.8v per cell to cycle the pack. Not to completely drain the pack. Sorry for the missunderstanding.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 02-10-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Discharge
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    hey thats a nice setup there, with the fire exten, and lipo bag, i'll be getting my ac6 tomorrow in the mail but mine will be new-used, will have to get the lipo sack though but will charge in a fire proof bucket.
    Thanks, And yes DEFINATLY do so. . Trust u me. I had an issue, and a battery expand. It didnt light, but if it did, that bag would come in handy. Some people also charge in on of those small cash boxes. Also, below it is a plexi glass set-up so its fireproof also, And it stays in my sight, next to the patio door which is just right of the picture. Something should happen, I can pick up the entire Plexi glass sheet, and toss it out the window onto grass.

As for ur charger, anouther personal advice I can give u. Watch Youtube videos in regards to that charger. Ul want to charge it always under Lipo Balance, and NOT lipo charge.

Also, anouther thing I can speak really well on.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    The first handful of uses I'd take it easy on the packs no WOT. This will open those packs and make them stronger. I used the charger to charge and discharge them. Then you are good to go with them.
    On SPCs website, It states they should be discharge under NO circumstances. I dont know how many Lipos that applies to, but theirs states not to be discharged themselves. Not sure.

RC Competitor
    Got it. Balance charge only. Use a charge sleeve or other fireproof container. Read the charger manual. Press n hold button on ESC till beeps and red turns green. Plug in to Pede and enjoy... No WOT.

My Traxxas Big Bore shocks (#2662) for the rear came in also. Today was a good mail day.
    ArmyAnt

RC Competitor
    Thanks AbSoLoot... I dont see the discharge feature on my Primal charger anyway... Hopefully this will not become an issue.
    ArmyAnt

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    On SPCs website, It states they should be discharge under NO circumstances. I dont know how many Lipos that applies to, but theirs states not to be discharged themselves. Not sure.
    Let me restate that!! The real terminology is cycling. This would be for a 2s pack. When you charge the pack to 8.4v you can discharge the pack to storage 7.6v - 6.8v whatever you feel you would have the LVD on your ESC set to. My charger shows 6.0v that's to low for me. Plus you can set it to a real low Amp setting.

I was just saying but this is probably not needed.

Guess I should have explained better. When I said discharge I didn't mean to take it down to nothing.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I think they mean not to discharge on a charger what so ever after its been ran more than once. But I only know this cuz I read the page lately. I dont know how many manufs have this stated, or as a specification. Hard to know unless read, and specific I think.

From their care, and warranty page.

"This LiPo battery pack must under no circumstances be discharged after use; doing so will permanently damage the pack"

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?show_aux_page=2

As for storage, They state only "charging" it up to its storage level. So gotta give it a run, than it can be stored at best voltage. From my understanding, it can be broken in with the charge/discharge for a few cycles. But after it is ran, it is not recommended to be discharged.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 02-11-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyAnt View Post
    Got it. Balance charge only. Use a charge sleeve or other fireproof container. Read the charger manual. Press n hold button on ESC till beeps and red turns green. Plug in to Pede and enjoy... No WOT.

My Traxxas Big Bore shocks (#2662) for the rear came in also. Today was a good mail day.
    No prob bro, Just like anouther christmas eh? Tonight, check out some youtube videos specific to Thunder AC6 charger. Good luck brotha, ur gonna LOVE the power.

RC Qualifier
    My very first Li-Po battery just arrived in the mail today!! Ive taken the advice of others here and ordered a SPC 11.1V 3s 5000mAh pack.
    LOL, you're gonna break your truck. I mean, it's going to be super fun, but totally gonna snap some stuff. Congratulations and good luck!
    P2de VXL - Summit

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    I think they mean not to discharge on a charger what so ever after its been ran more than once. But I only know this cuz I read the page lately. I dont know how many manufs have this stated, or as a specification. Hard to know unless read, and specific I think.

From their care, and warranty page.

"This LiPo battery pack must under no circumstances be discharged after use; doing so will permanently damage the pack"

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?show_aux_page=2

As for storage, They state only "charging" it up to its storage level. So gotta give it a run, than it can be stored at best voltage. From my understanding, it can be broken in with the charge/discharge for a few cycles. But after it is ran, it is not recommended to be discharged.
    Very confusing statement to say the least. Running the pack in the truck is in fact discharging the lipo. Seems to me that they are try to say that after you have ran the pack, do not discharge it any further on the charger or it will damage the cells. It would have to be an extremely picky and weak cell to be damaged by the discharge setting on the charger. No charger can discharge faster and at more amperage than the brushless system can.

Armyant, the break in period for lipos is about 10 cycles. This is when the pack will hold the most capacity and can handle the most punishment. For the first ten runs with the new pack, always ease into the throttle gently. No trigger mashing cuz you'll shorten the overall lifespan of the pack and possibly damage cells. Just drive it like it's your girlfriends dads 80,000 dollar car and he's a gun collector. after the ten runs with this pack feel free to beat on it like it owes you money!

Also, for the lipo setting of the vxl3s esc. Make sure that your tx is powered on, then power on the esc and verify that the light is solid red. If it is solid red, then push and hold the esc button for ten seconds until you here the motor chime. The light should now be solid green, which indicates that you are now in lipo mode. Good luck!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Good explanation Baldy, I also practice light use for lipo break in. For the 2 new ones I just got in. I've marked one with a star and one, no mark. The star is getting pounded out of the box, the other is being cycled today. I'm going to take a look at the affect it may have on my batty life and power. I can't really call it a legit teat because I can't account for all the bumps and knocks, hits, shakes each battery takes in bashing but it will be interesting to see what comes after they wake up. Hope it doesn't make a difference that soon. But at the same time, it would be nice to have some conclusive evidence quick, before they take a beating that will blow this experiment.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    LOL, you're gonna break your truck. I mean, it's going to be super fun, but totally gonna snap some stuff. Congratulations and good luck!
    TOO FUNNY!!
    May do a video of my first Li-Po run.

Baldy - Digger - AbSoLoot
    As always, thanks for chiming in. Appreciate all the tips / advice.
    ArmyAnt

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Armyant, the break in period for lipos is about 10 cycles. This is when the pack will hold the most capacity and can handle the most punishment. For the first ten runs with the new pack, always ease into the throttle gently. No trigger mashing cuz you'll shorten the overall lifespan of the pack and possibly damage cells. Just drive it like it's your girlfriends dads 80,000 dollar car and he's a gun collector.
    And he's not afraid of going BACK to jail.
    I think context is key here. You should not discharge any LiPos too far. If you run down to MY recommended LVC of 3.4 v/cell, and certainly you should not discharge further. If you don't hit the LVC, say your pack is at 3.9 V/cell when you are done, there is nothing wrong with discharging to a storage level. Unfortunately, some chargers want to discharge too low, like 3.0 V/cell.
    I regularly charge, run, then charge or discharge to a 3.8 V/cell storage level.

@thedreadedend: Do you have a charger that displays IR?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Competitor
    Sounds like I need a new charger... there isnt an LED display on the Primal.

Doesn't the Velineon ESC have an indicator when to stop and charge the lipo?
    ArmyAnt

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I think context is key here. You should not discharge any LiPos too far. If you run down to MY recommended LVC of 3.4 v/cell, and certainly you should not discharge further. If you don't hit the LVC, say your pack is at 3.9 V/cell when you are done, there is nothing wrong with discharging to a storage level. Unfortunately, some chargers want to discharge too low, like 3.0 V/cell.
    I regularly charge, run, then charge or discharge to a 3.8 V/cell storage level.

@thedreadedend: Do you have a charger that displays IR?
    Yea I do, would you like to know a specific packs ir? At what point, full, discharged? Im burning up some amps as we speak so its not a problem.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good post ksb51rl!!!

To clarify another issue, not all LiPo packs require 10 cycles to break-in. In fact some may only need 2 to 3 cycles, if that.

Thanks guys for clarifying that. I usually do a handful ( 5 ), of easy cycles. I feel safe to take it easy then go WOT.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Jakey, yours seem to come early, I like that. Also, I completely understand if you can't answer this in an open forum (support) but I think this question is an in general and not a brand specific. What is your take on easy running through the break in cycles? My reasoning leads me to believe it could benefit the pack greatly and if not, I didn't hurt anything anyway lol. Less strain seems like a hard mission once you have it plugged in though lol. So I use the cycle mode to get it done the first day I put them to use.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like I need a new charger... there isnt an LED display on the Primal.

Doesn't the Velineon ESC have an indicator when to stop and charge the lipo?
    Yes it does, it cuts off around 3.6v (if I'm not mistaken) IMO it seems to cut off a bit early if that's the case, but, it still gives me 30-40 min from a 5000mah 2s so meh, who cares.

Yea, you want an LCD screen if doing Lipo, or at least you want a charger that you can actually adjust and make sure it's sticking to proper parameters. I'm trying to create a condensed/pastable list of the popular charger options, here goes rough draft:

* Thunder AC6 (AC/DC) - $45 – Cheap, works, cheap, does storage and balancing, cheap, voltages not 100% accurate.
    * Traxxas EZ Peak 6amp (AC/DC) - $88-90+ - 80w internal PSU so charges @ full 6 amps – Good warranty – Does everything and voltages accurate – I have this and like it a lot
    * Dynamite Passport Ultra/Hyperion 720 (AC/DC) - $130 – 90-100w internal PSU’s – both highly acclaimed – both are upper end of AC/DC chargers
    * iCharger (DC only) + PSU combo from progressiverc - $120-200 – Provides full 10-20 amp charges – More than enough for the hobbyist – can charge 2 or more in parallel and do it swiftly – Only thing better is powerlabs setups with 45-100amps from converted server PSU’s
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Jakey, yours seem to come early, I like that. Also, I completely understand if you can't answer this in an open forum (support) but I think this question is an in general and not a brand specific. What is your take on easy running through the break in cycles? My reasoning leads me to believe it could benefit the pack greatly and if not, I didn't hurt anything anyway lol. Less strain seems like a hard mission once you have it plugged in though lol. So I use the cycle mode to get it done the first day I put them to use.
    Seriously...if light use is good for a pack, then your first Lipo pack ever has to be considered a write off. I mean come on...I tried to behave but I only made it halfway into the first charge. By the third charge I was pretty much gunning it everywhere, I can't help it!! It's like crack for gadgetphiles.
    Last edited by Toyboarder; 02-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    Unsurprisingly, the lipo pack did not fit in the bay. What has everyone else done to get theirs to fit? Pictures would nice.
    ArmyAnt

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    Seriously...if light use is good for a pack, then your first Lipo pack ever has to be considered a write off. I mean come on...I tried to behave but I only made it halfway into the first charge. By the third charge I was pretty much gunning it everywhere, I can't help it!! It's like crack for gadgetphiles.
    you got me with that one! Rofl and ya, I got a few packs ready for the can 2,3 weeks in lol.

ArmyAnt, do you have a chassis with the ribs on the bottom of the tray? Shave them off with a dermal or something that will get you down to the bottom, then you'll be set.

RC Competitor
    Mine has the tray..
    ArmyAnt

RC Champion
    Double check armyant, Does the battery pack not fit in the battery compartment at all, or does it not go all of the way down?
    Oh dang, you might need the battery expansion kit to slide the lipo under the esc plate

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    you got me with that one! Rofl and ya, I got a few packs ready for the can 2,3 weeks in lol.

ArmyAnt, do you have a chassis with the ribs on the bottom of the tray? Shave them off with a dermal or something that will get you down to the bottom, then you'll be set.
    Unsurprisingly, the lipo pack did not fit in the bay. What has everyone else done to get theirs to fit? Pictures would nice.
    Mine has the tray..
    I mean inside the tray, does it have lil plastic ribs sticking up and stopping the battery from fitting in all the way or are you referring to front to back fitment? That's gonna be a tight squeeze too but it will fit with light mods or an expansion kit that's made for 3s adaptation for pede.

RC Competitor
    It doesnt quite fit front to back. The ESC plate is keeping it from sliding back completely... I can wedge it in there but am afraid to damage something. I dont have little ribs in my battery area... its an open battery tray.
    ArmyAnt

RC Champion
    So what do we do now? Did you take off the electronics?

You will need the Traxxas Battery Expansion kit
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    And there it is ››——› thanks for the link, guess I was lazy about it.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I don't use the battery expansion kit because I like to run my bodies as low as they can go, and the esc and receiver box hit the roof of many of my lids. So I grind out the front of the battery tray:

This allows me to run the thicker 3s packs without the expansion kit, and also shifts some of the battery weight forward which benefits the control of these trucks:

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.