RC Champion

Wheelie Bar flexes to much and was distructive.....

First i should say i really like the t bone wheelie bar for its strength and looks. I run an alloy flate plate case with a vxl motor and heatsink with a t bone wheelie bar as there isnt much for wheelie bar options with this case. When i first got the wheelie bar i thought this is really flexable and thought man if this thing flexes hard in a crash it might bend the trans motor plate.... it didnt and seemed to be holding good.Yesterday i crashed hard and flipped about 20 times across the street and back on its wheels, i hit the gas and nothing....took a look at it and the wheelie bar flexed so far in it bent the motor heat sink,pushed the motor in so the spur and pinion were tight. In turn toasted the front motor bearing(motor is 3 runs old), bent the heatsink and cracked 2 clutch pads.

Like i said i really like this wheelie bar over my other few options and ime thinking maybe trying to rig up some brackets and tie bars to stiffen it up ( ide hate to bend the case ). Has anyone else had this issue .Any and all input here is good.

Here is the damage, i guess it coulda been worse.

Dont let the brand name fool you...lol

Here i am use a little force but not much squeezing it in tight and see how the wheelie bar nuts contact.

Left side squeeze

Right side squeeze, this is the contact point ime worried about.

Here there are 2 vacant holes in the STRC tower i could mount a bracket to and mount a bracket to the 2 wheelie bar bolts and tie them together with traxxas tie bars. My question is would the shock tower hold up to the extra pressure? would it bend? anyone have a better idea on how to stiffen this up?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    You will definitely curled the tower over if you tie it in with the TBone. I've curled 10+ towers and this would be a quicker method if I ever seen one lol. Sorry for the damage. Can the traxxas rear bumper be used with the TBone too? That would add something to stop it from flexing so far. Also something to brace off of.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

I had T Bone bumper and just felt it was way to flexible to be used as a wheelie bar. You might try using a brace that attaches to one or more of the screws that hold the tranny case together. I think that would be more solid than attaching it to the shock tower.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    You will definitely curled the tower over if you tie it in with the TBone. I've curled 10+ towers and this would be a quicker method if I ever seen one lol. Sorry for the damage. Can the traxxas rear bumper be used with the TBone too? That would add something to stop it from flexing so far. Also something to brace off of.
    The stock bumper doesnt fit the case.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I had T Bone bumper and just felt it was way to flexible to be used as a wheelie bar. You might try using a brace that attaches to one or more of the screws that hold the tranny case together. I think that would be more solid than attaching it to the shock tower.
    I think that is a better idea atatching it to the case, ime going to look into that.

RC Qualifier
    Funny thing is we were just wondering about this in another thread that was detailing aluminum transmission options.

Do you have a spare RPM rear bumper attachment thing? If so maybe you can rig something up with that. When you can't attach the stock wheelie bar your options really start to vary. Maybe you'll just have to get a swami and bend it back when you crash hard? If you crash hard enough to bend one of those in to where it will hit the motor, you'll probably have worse problems like entire axles being ripped off
    P2de VXL - Summit

On one of my slashes I have the stock traxxas wheelie bar braced to the shock tower using two long turnbuckles with no problems. It's been that way a couple years, but then I only run 2s on that truck...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    What aluminum case is that? Strange how it doesn't even have any other mounting holes on the motor plate. You could always get another piece of vinyl plastic sheet and put another layer between wheelie bar and skid plate, It could even be a thin piece of aluminum and use longer skid plate screws. This might make it rigid enough to not bend up that far upon impact.*

If you do decide to go with an aluminum wheelie bar, hot racing has an aluminum one for 24 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Elec...#ht_1391wt_689
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    Its the notorious Integy flat plate case,I thought about stiffining it with an alloy plate or something like that. I think i might just get that hot racing one. The other thing i thought of was build a plate similiar to the t bone plate that holds the wheels.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Baldy that HR is a nice wheely bar, I might have to try one out. Only thing is you can't beat the tuck that the Swami has. I also love the way it dances too.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by jaman View Post
    Its the notorious Integy flat plate case,I thought about stiffining it with an alloy plate or something like that. I think i might just get that hot racing one. The other thing i thought of was build a plate similiar to the t bone plate that holds the wheels.
    That's funny cuz I own an integy flat plate trans case, but I don't use it anymore so it's collecting dust, but I never even noticed that my integy trans didnt have any mounting holes either to adapt a Traxxas wheel bar mount. lol. I used the swami with it, so I guess I didn't care about the mounting holes then.

That HR wheelie bar for 24 and free shipping. is a really decent deal for an aluminum wheelie bar if you ask me. I think I might pick one up too for my Speedrunner P2de, I like that it is adjustable too. There was an aluminum wheelie bar out that was known to be just as strong as the swami bar, but for a third of the price. It was a bonzaibars wheelie bar. I had it saved to my watch list at eBay, but it's no longer listed and I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. Too bad it's obsolete now. Guess I shoulda grabbed it when I saw it.

That discontinued proline skid plate with integrated wheelie bar mount with the t bone probably woulda held up too. But I know you like your skids that you have already.

I've been more than satisfied with all of the hot racing parts I've purchased. They have an excellent strength / looks ratio, and their prices are competitive and affordable.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 02-11-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Baldy that HR is a nice wheely bar, I might have to try one out. Only thing is you can't beat the tuck that the Swami has. I also love the way it dances too.
    You have the full bend edition swami right? I have the full brace with the laid back bend and it rides a wheelie perfectly and the laid back bend makes the truck rely on sheer power to keep the front wheels in the air. Not like the Traxxas wheelie bar on the highest setting, where it just sits and rides on the wheelie bar. (I call the Traxxas one "the cheater bar") I like the straight up power wheelies cuz when you end the wheelie, the truck is usually clippin 45mph!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    That's funny cuz I own an integy flat plate trans case, but I don't use it anymore so it's collecting dust, but I never even noticed that my integy trans didnt have any mounting holes either to adapt a Traxxas wheel bar mount. lol. I used the swami with it, so I guess I didn't care about the mounting holes then.

That HR wheelie bar for 24 and free shipping. is a really decent deal for an aluminum wheelie bar if you ask me. I think I might pick one up too for my Speedrunner P2de, I like that it is adjustable too. There was an aluminum wheelie bar out that was known to be just as strong as the swami bar, but for a third of the price. It was a bonzaibars wheelie bar. I had it saved to my watch list at eBay, but it's no longer listed and I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. Too bad it's obsolete now. Guess I shoulda grabbed it when I saw it.

That discontinued proline skid plate with integrated wheelie bar mount with the t bone probably woulda held up too. But I know you like your skids that you have already.

I've been more than satisfied with all of the hot racing parts I've purchased. They have an excellent strength / looks ratio, and their prices are competitive and affordable.

I purchased 2 of those wheelie bars, ive never tried any hot racing products yet but ive heard the hype. When i purchased my t bone bar i almost purchased the bonsai bar but didnt and like you wish i had...

RC Qualifier
    I had a bonsai bar and I tell ya that bar bent really easy and I found myself having to straighten it all the time. Not good for bashing but probably better for speed runs. I don't see them anymore on fleabay.
    1 extended pede
    1 stock length pede
    Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpio1026 View Post
    I had a bonsai bar and I tell ya that bar bent really easy and I found myself having to straighten it all the time. Not good for bashing but probably better for speed runs. I don't see them anymore on fleabay.
    If it is was a quality, good selling item it would still be on there for sale... thanks for the heads up.

Oh they're still there: http://stores.ebay.com/BanzaiBars
    I've had a few of these, and unlike Scorpio's experience mine have held up pretty well. I've bent a couple of them, not to badly, but a little work with a mallet and vice had them back in shape and ready to go. If you ever find that you need parts for them, those are easy to find. I'll continue to use these as they have worked well for me. I've never had to worry about a bent gear case with these either.
    Last edited by TAT2; 02-11-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    99%er

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TAT2 View Post
    Oh they're still there: http://stores.ebay.com/BanzaiBars
    I've had a few of these, and unlike Scorpio's experience mine have held up pretty well. I've bent a couple of them, not to badly, but a little work with a mallet and vice had them back in shape and ready to go. If you ever find that you need parts for them, those are easy to find. I'll continue to use these as they have worked well for me. I've never had to worry about a bent gear case with these either.
    Found them huh.. maybe i shoulda looked harder. With the heat sink off it seems to be better then before but i really need to figure a bracket out.

Quote Originally Posted by jaman View Post
    Found them huh.. maybe i shoulda looked harder. With the heat sink off it seems to be better then before but i really need to figure a bracket out.
    You could still always try the proline rear skid with the integrated wheelie bar mount. With the t bone or hot racing wheelie bars you wouldn't use the wheelie bar mount, but it would be there for extra protection. I found a place that was still selling them last time I looked:

Proline rear skid plate/wheel bar mount

http://www.largescalerc.com/6061-02r...lateslash.aspx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    You could still always try the proline rear skid with the integrated wheelie bar mount. With the t bone or hot racing wheelie bars you wouldn't use the wheelie bar mount, but it would be there for extra protection. I found a place that was still selling them last time I looked:

Proline rear skid plate/wheel bar mount

http://www.largescalerc.com/6061-02r...lateslash.aspx

Thats a strong functional looking skid plate, for $11 ime going to order one an dgive it a go, what can it hurt right.

RC Competitor
    I have a t-bone and have similar damage on my GH tranny case from the nuts. Been thinking of stuffing a piece of foam or something in there to act as a buffer. Doubt it would work with that cooling contraption though.

RC Champion
    The heatsink is tossed...ime in the midst of building a bracket that hooks to 2 points on the trans and too the 2 bolts on the wheelie bar.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I'm thinking the proline skid is about the best option you've got left. But you still have some holes left empty with it too. I think the strength of thispiece will be tested for sure because you'll be relying on the bottom screws alone to hold the rear steady. It should work fine for your purpose but a really hard impact will still push the rear in more than it should ever flex. Maybe, if there is a hole or two in th case for bumper bracket, you could use stand offs and screws to simply fill in the screw holes and reduce chances of damage. Just fill as many as you can to make it ridged.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Champion
    I did think of that and i have 4 lipo tower kits that i might be able to cut down/adapt for this purpose.

RC Champion
    Arggggg...went to take the pede out cause the snow is awsome right now and the motor was seized almost solid, i think that bearing is toast, ime going to swap it out for another motor until my bearings showup, good thing i ordered 20 cause now i have 2 that need bearings. Maybe ill even get a video up of some sik ditch jumping.