RC poster

Stuttering on throttle.

Howdy!

First post here... sorry it has to be a problematic question.

I've had my summit here for about 2 weeks (ish). When I bought it, it was the floor model (all they had left), and I was expecting some issues. First one was the servo. Gears were next to stripped already from people yanking the wheels back and forth on display. Expected.

However, it's never had any power cycled through it prior to my purchasing it. This was rather odd out of the box: at low power, the summit would kind of.... hesitate going either direction. You have to really juice it forward or backwards to get it going, otherwise it stutters, then it shuts off. Light on the esc is off, entirely. Just push the button and it's back going.... but it's still odd.

Now... after having been dealing with that (no spare esc to replace the one at the hobbytown where I bought it), it's gone all kinds of weird today. I was literally just outside running it through some damp tall grass, and it just stopped all together. Steering still works fine, but it just refuses to provide any power to the wheels at all. Has a NASTY sound when it turns on. Sounds like some arcing or something.
    -When giving throttle, wheels just stutter back and forth cycling between reverse and forward constantly.
    -Trying to go reverse causes a high pitch squeal from the esc.

I did some basic cleaning last night with it (removed shocks from arms and loosened everything to clean the caked on clay and sand out that a hose wouldn't), but everything is back in place as it should be.
    There is no binding when rolling the car free-hand without the battery(ies) in.

Things of note:
    I was running 2 NiMH batteries in series when this happened, didn't break half throttle.
    Summit stopped functioning in grass that's barely tall enough to touch up halfway to the top of the tires.

I think it's just a bad ESC, personally. Everything points to it. I just want some extra confirmation before I go ahead and find one.

Also... what other ESC should I look for? Still using it stock-out-of-the-box. I've been out of the R/C scene for about 4 years now, so some advice on that would be greatly appreciated. (For perspective, the latest and greatest radio I had used prior to this was a futaba FM radio. We upgraded from AM crystals. Brushless systems were just starting to come out. Haha.)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It is your servo.
    Unplug it and leave it unplugged and I am 98% sure that the symptoms will go away.

This is very common and a lot of perfectly fine ESC's have been blamed.
    I upgraded to a ******* 390 in both of my 1/16ths as the specs for this servo ROCK.
    Here is a list of servos that fit:
    http://www.servodatabase.com/compare...1677,2119,2130

If you do plan on upgrading your ESC which is another weak point; especially when running in series other than described in the manual, any decent 60 amp car ESC will perform just fine in the Summit.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the idea Neutron. I disconnected the servo.... but the problem is still there. Motor just stutters. Does not bind still. Steering servo is fully functional.

I think it may either be a wacked out esc, stripped gears, or burnt out motor (very doubtful on that last one)

Hey! Just thought I'd throw an update in. I have determined (through extensive trial and error, and testing) that unfortunately, the thing I didn't expect to be broken, is in fact, broken. My motor.

I decided to do some redneck testing. I took literally everything to do with the drive train apart. The gearbox is fine. Everything is oiled and nothing is stripped. Just what I love to see. Fine and dandy.
    All the joints are fine. Nothing's broken/twisted/lodged. Good to go.
    The motor runs sporadically and shuts the ESC off at random even at low RPM's..

Well... seeing as I'm now going to have to purchase a replacement motor... what can this ESC handle? While I'm at it, I may as well look at an esc+motor combo... (@ Jimmie, still browsing around these forums and searching. I'll keep looking for a thread with a decent ESC mentioned)

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, the word has been blocked by the language filter. The language filter was put in place to block words that Traxxas deemed inappropriate for use on their forums. Please remove these words from your post in the future, or warning points will likely be issued.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    A lot of people flock to Castle. (SV2)
    I personally don't think they are all what they are cracked up to be.
    I, myself, am going to be running either a Hong Kong 60 amp or a ******* ********* 60 amp when the snow melts.

Traxxas or your LHS should replace the motor free of charge.

--BTW, you are #2 of hundreds of people that have these symptoms and it was not the servo. That I have read/helped anyway.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 01-08-2012 at 01:36 AM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I had the same problem turned out my battery just needed to be charged so make sure you have a charged battery

RC poster
    Well, thanks for the help and input on what to get.

I'll contact traxxas through email today.

@Matt4804 This was with the currently half-run down batteries that were in it, and a fully charged battery by itself.