Thread: LiPo

RC Racer

LiPo

Hi all,
    Looking at a Lipo for my slash 4X4. 2s or 3s? Mostly backyard bashing.
    Is there a difference between the 8.4 NiMH and 7.4 LiPo even with the less voltage?
    What gearing?
    How do LiPos handle snow and water? Freezing temps? (-10*C) sorry Im Canadian

Is it me or is the Common Sense R/C ACDC-6 charger the same as the Thunder AC6?

Thanks for answering some Noob questions!

RC Qualifier
    with the vxl i would stick to 2s it has a habit to over heat on 3s with a 7.4 volt lipo it provides more power and punch and it also does it for a longer time. as for gearing on 2s i would stick with stock gearing. i have completely submerged my lipos several times and they still work perfectly as for the charger im not sure i use the hyperion charger and i love it
    slash 4x4 and a blast on steroids

RC Racer
    Thanks man. what Lipos you running? cause the MaxAmps I know are advertsied as waterproof. So does a 5000 2s Lipo last longer than a 5000 8.4 NiMH?

RC Qualifier
    i am running spc 3s lipos 5400 mah i love them i have 2 and they are between 50 and 60 bucks each they have good punch and long run times i havent put those under water yet but i have put a 2s under water and like i said it really doesnt affect it. but if you are worried about it get a large balloon and put the lipo in it and ziptie the end closed. and by last longer do you mean runtimes or battery life? with runtime the 2s usually last a bit longer a 5000 mah battery lasted me about 8-10 minutes where a 2s actually lasted me 15 or 20. but later on after you upgrade your truck and get the feel for it i suggest a castle creations mmp 2400kv sct system it is wicked fast on 3s and 4s

if you have any other questions feel free to ask

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbash4x4 View Post
    Thanks man. what Lipos you running? cause the MaxAmps I know are advertsied as waterproof. So does a 5000 2s Lipo last longer than a 5000 8.4 NiMH?
    All lipos are waterproof, just take them out of the truck when done and stand them on end to drain. Outerwears shroud helps a lot as well.

I have had my Venom lipos for three years now! They still have plenty of punch and runtime! I only run 3 and 4s lipos. You can help your stock system out by putting holes in the windshield and in the back of the truck. I have had mine in the mud and snow. They still work great!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallguy905 View Post
    All lipos are waterproof, just take them out of the truck when done and stand them on end to drain. Outerwears shroud helps a lot as well.
    Tallguy- I see your from Canada like me. Have you ordered anything from Hobbypartz? I dont know if I should because my Revo 3.3 off ebay costed me like 100.00 at the border.. Did it cost you anything?

And is it neccesary (or just a good idea) to have hardcases?
    Last edited by slashbash4x4; 01-07-2012 at 12:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    its a good idea if you are rough with them but i have softcases and im ocd with them

RC Racer
    So should I go 2s or 3s?

I run the Slash in winter so would that help the overheating on 3s?

RC Enthusiast
    2s, if you want 3s you should really upgrade your motor and speed controller.

RC poster
    I am from Nova Scotia, and I have ordered from Hobbypartz, a number of times. the most recent was last summer. I have never been charged any kind of duties and taxes or broker fees, just shipping and the item price. I think it maybe due to the fact that they ship with US Postal Service(USPS not UPS). The shipping was pretty quick too.
    Cheers

Drive it like you stole it.

RC Champion
    Haven't tried hobbyprtz but same as what ^^ he ^^ says on the shipping. I have ordered a lot from the U.S. and haven't had trouble. Are you looking for lipos?

RC Racer
    yup well debating on it... not sure if its worth the money...

RC Enthusiast
    My slash went into a creek, pulled it out hit the throttle, blew the end out of my lipo!

RC Champion
    I have had no problems. I drive mine like a boat with a hole in it. Lipos are almost 2 years old now still going strong.
    http://youtu.be/UyZEAnDjccU

Also since your from CAN, try Great Hobbies dot com. They are excellent to deal with, online and telephone. Decent prices, shipping is fair what ever Canada post charges them. in their site just search lipo, they have 2s lipos starting about $50 and up. As long as you are not shipping across boarder using Fedex, UPS etc you wil not get 3rd party charges. Stick with USPS.
    Last edited by Tallguy905; 01-08-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: addition

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lickinfrogz View Post
    My slash went into a creek, pulled it out hit the throttle, blew the end out of my lipo!
    How would the water blow the end off the lipo and if it did the battery would have reacted and your truck would been burnt.

RC Enthusiast
    Possible water interaction with the actual connection where the plugs connect? Don't exactly know, I do know me and my bud both found it sort of odd and wrote it off as the lipo not being waterproof.

RC poster
    I want to upgrade as well. I'm stock on everything.. but really want to jump to 3s. Can I run stock with a 3s LiPo?

RC Champion
    Just need to monitor motor / esc temps when running 3s even with stock gearing

You should at least be running an aftermarket motor mount with larger bearing and the aluminum slipper bearing adapter

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv