RC Enthusiast

T-maxx 2.5 Transmission Help!!

I have a 2.5 Tmaxx with tranny issues, you spin the input shaft and the output shaft doesnt turn, pulled the tranny apart and found all the gears to ok and no broken pieces laying inside the case. I have focused on the frwd and rev drive gears and clutch but cant find anything wrong. can anyone give me a starting direction or possibly a link that i missed while searching??? Any help is appreciated, I dont want to pick up another trans if there is something simple to be fixxed inside this one.
    03 Cobra
    08 Revo 3.3
    97 Jeep Cherokee

Since you have reverse there is an internal clutch that needs to spin fast enough to engage the output gears.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by Americanricer1987 View Post
    I have a 2.5 Tmaxx with tranny issues, you spin the input shaft and the output shaft doesnt turn, pulled the tranny apart and found all the gears to ok and no broken pieces laying inside the case. I have focused on the frwd and rev drive gears and clutch but cant find anything wrong. can anyone give me a starting direction or possibly a link that i missed while searching??? Any help is appreciated, I dont want to pick up another trans if there is something simple to be fixxed inside this one.
    id say if it all looks in good shape its not anything a few bucks wont fix, so there is a few things id check, is the OWB on second gear working still, is the set-pin on the main shaft down by the lower gear still intact, pull it to be sure as ive had them be broke and it doesnt look broke and no parts laying in the gearbox... also check all your clutches, two speed and if you have reverse
    Last edited by kuskye25; 01-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Since you have reverse there is an internal clutch that needs to spin fast enough to engage the output gears.
    Black trany w/reverse spur will spin both ways,^^ it has a clutch inside & you cannot spin the spur fast enough by hand to make it engage & move the out shaft.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    figured id post this pic i just made for the other thread, itll give you an idea whats in your trans that could be broke/worn...

RC Champion
    also to i dont think you ever said what was the original reason you tore into the transmission.... this would be a big clue needed for us to help you properly

btw i said OWB on second gear meant on first....
    Last edited by kuskye25; 01-05-2012 at 08:43 PM.

With the tranny assembled in hand, spin the spur gear with compressed air (counter clockwise with the spur facing you) The spur will then spin fast enough to test the tranny. If the output shaft does not spin with the spur being spun with 25psi directed at the spur gear teeth there is an internal problem.
    If the output spins your golden. (you should also hear and feel it change gears with 25 psi)
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    With the tranny assembled in hand, spin the spur gear with compressed air (counter clockwise with the spur facing you) The spur will then spin fast enough to test the tranny. If the output shaft does not spin with the spur being spun with 25psi directed at the spur gear teeth there is an internal problem.
    If the output spins your golden. (you should also hear and feel it change gears with 25 psi)
    cool trick man ill keep that in mind for my own projects..