Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Ok im kind of hit and miss on some of your problems. That metal shim that came with the kit goes on either the left or right axle cup so it wont ride back and forth left or right i installed the blue paper gasket and i used 30,000 weight but if thats not enough ill go up in weight and yes use some chassis or axle grease will work good. im not sure what you mean by the center axle shaft some pics would be great!
    I BLAME ALL THIS ON POPOXX!

RC Racer
    Mayhem,

The shim included in the kit isn't thick enough, at least for my bulks. With the shim installed on either side, it leaves a lot of play. When I install the shim on the side that the ring gear sits in, it leaves roughly 1/32" of play between the ring gear and the pinion and about 1/16" (2/32") on the other side. All in all, I figure that both sides need to be greatly shimmed. Is your diff not sliding side to side with the shim installed?

The blue gasket seems to be my choice as well given it's silicone like feel. However, it's .5mm thick versus the included three .2mm thick paper gaskets that total .6mm.

Why did you choose 30K weight oil and how much did you use? I think I read somewhere to fill the drum.

Raz

RC Qualifier
    Well, if my Emaxx blows another diff it looks like this is the way I'll go. It's expensive, but cheaper than another vehicle.

RC Qualifier
    To be completely honest with you guys i have been running my EMAXX like i stole it in the last week or so and i have yet to blow another diff.I believe it has nothing to do with the metal or plastic housings. i installed some ACER ceramic bearings on my stock pinion shaft and it seems to work out great. But im still going to install my FLM chassis And to answer some questions no my FLM diff doesnt ride from left to right the play feels good and i choose 30,000 weight because thats whats in my stock diffs now and it works good and you fill it with the gears installed just a little bit. spin the gears around with your fingers and then fill it almost to the top because you have one more gear that goes on top of that and it will take up some space.

RC Racer
    Some news....

I decided to try piecing my front hybrid bulk set together. Guess what, a perfect fit! Very smooth, feels strong and looks awesome! I love this thing..

So, I've determined the problem lies with the rear hybrid bulk set. Basically, something isn't right or maybe they packaged the wrong parts in mine? Anyhow, I'll have some answers soon..

Mayhem, Do you know whether the ACER Bearings you ordered are the same size as the bearings in the FLM Hybrid bulk? If so, would you mind sharing the ACER part number? I'm not sure I trust the yellow and black bearings the FLM Hybrid is equipped with..

Raz

Regarding the stock differential, I agree with you. I think the stock differential is SOLID except for the bearings. However, the FLM Hybrid Bulks are nice! Atleast when you have the right parts

Raz

RC Qualifier
    I received an email today these parts are on backorder FANTASTIC! Ill check tomorrow and see if the bearings are the same and shoot you a part number

RC Racer
    Thanks Mayhem,

Some other interesting news.. I decided to compare the weight of both the front and rear hybrid bulks versus using the standard FLM bulks with the stock differential.

Basically, the assembled front hybrid bulk with the stock drive pins installed weighs 221g, dry. Same for the rear hybrid bulk. The standard bulks with the stock differential weighs 200g, wet. Basically, I figure the hybrid bulks with the beefer 1/8th scale diffs add a total of about 44g. Roughly 22g per side. This is all great news!

For anyone interested, the bulks and diffs look to be great quality. The tolerance is so close that it looks like its hitting the inside cup, but it smooth as silk.

By the way, found that the included gaskets (three of them at .2mm each, totaling .6mm) provides the best feel. Again, this is dry. I have yet to fill the diffs with oil. I tested both the blue gasket (.5mm thick) , two .2mm (.4mm) and one .2mm and one .1mm gasket (.3mm).

Raz

RC Racer
    Some news....

Okay, I was wrong about the front diff. I've noticed that one of the bearings wasn't pressed in all the way. I now have the same side to side play in the front bulk as I do with the rear bulk. FLM needs to make this right, by sending us all some shim kits ASAP!

Also, if you intend to use the Traxxas Drive Shafts, I don't think you're going to be able to do it. However, I've just realized you may be able to remove the shims that the came installed in the diff, but I still don't think think the axles are long enough. Give it try, you'l see what I mean. If not, that means we'll all need to purchase CVDs or FLM is going to need to man up on their marketed hybrid use. Also, you'll need to purchase an additonal center drive shaft coupler to use the Traxxas center drive shafts, unless of course FLM also all sends us a coupler per bulk..

Regarding the diffs themselves. I like them. I spoke to Caster Racing, very helpful. Basically, they suggest the Blue Gasket. I've also noticed this is an upgrade part as it sort of swells to prevent leaks versus that of the paper gaskets..Also, they suggest use of 2,000wt to 10,000wt Diff Oil. I intend to use 10,000wt in the front and 5,000wt in the rear for starters.

So, that's about it...

Raz

RC Qualifier
    Finally got a shipping date from FLM should be here soon!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    After a month they arrived today but unfortunetly im on vacation and i dont have any building gear with me

RC Champion
    Great teaser...

RC Qualifier
    Ok i finally got a chance to look at these diffs What shim have you used to get the side to side end play out? and i cant see how to shim the pinion gear because it doesnt have a hole in the pinion shaft so how do you hold the shaft out while your trying to shim it ?

RC Racer
    There is one included shim in the kit. I put that one on the ring gear side. With the diff in the housing and no pinion installed I used 8mm shims to get the play out side to side. After that I installed the pinion and checked the gear mess. I moved 1 or 2 shims from the cup side to the ring side to get the gear mess correct. I used a lot of shims though. Probably close to 25 shims for both diffs

RC Qualifier
    The shim that comes with the kit is 16mm x 14mm we are obviously talking about two different shims were did you use the 8mm shims and i also noticed the axles pop out when the suspension is hanging

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    The shim that comes with the kit is 16mm x 14mm we are obviously talking about two different shims were did you use the 8mm shims and i also noticed the axles pop out when the suspension is hanging
    the shim that comes with the kit goes between the bearing and the hybrid housing. The 8mm shims will go between the bearing and diff cup on the one side, The bearing and ring gear on the other.

RC Racer
    As far as shimming the pinion. I placed the pinion and bearings into one side of the housing and made sure the gear was riding in the center of the ring gear. and then put the drive cup on, Mine did not need any shimming on the pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i figured out the shimming on the diff cup i used one of the shims that came with the kit on both sides so one on cup side one on ring gear side and my pinion doesnt need shimming either. my problem now is when the suspension hangs the axles pop out of the drive cup do i need the erevo extended cups and use the studs that came with the differential? Oh btw now i need more of those 16x14 shims and i cant find them anywhere!

RC Racer
    I used the 8mm shims instead of the bigger shims, you just place them between the bearing and the diff instead. I am still waiting on my cvds but from what i have read you need the extended cups.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so if you need the cups you need take the cups out of the diff and install the little stubs that came with the kit right?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    Ok so if you need the cups you need take the cups out of the diff and install the little stubs that came with the kit right?
    ya take the cups out and use the stubs

RC Champion
    You guys should be clicking off some pics of what you have going on.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrocker View Post
    You guys should be clicking off some pics of what you have going on.
    I'am with you Bentrocker.Some pic would be nice.Sounds like you guys have been working hard on the builds.Time to show them off.

RC Qualifier
    Well a little update i believe the shorted me some outdrive cups they sent four two for the transmission two for the rear diff and uh oh none for the front diff. Ill get the camera out tomorrow This is a nice setup but FLM did not do their homework this is a long way from bolt all your parts to there chassis they send you no shims for the diffs and they dont tell you that the outdrives that come with the kit cant be used on CVD,S. Also you have to cut a slit in the antenna mount if not you have to run your antenna under the chassis i could see a stick or rock grabbing that antenna and for some reason you cant use the stock shock towers without some dremel time but no biggie there!. So far all i have left it to get some outdrive cups and some more suspension pins

RC Qualifier
    Some pics [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] Its hard to see i need a better camera but the antenna pic you see i cut a slit into it so the antenna can ride on top of the chassis instead of bottom

RC Champion
    I have never had any problems with the wire running under the chassis. Do you have any pics of the diffs?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrocker View Post
    I have never had any problems with the wire running under the chassis. Do you have any pics of the diffs?
    What part of the diff do you want to see? And i figured out how to use the traxxas driveshafts parts[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] you just use the chrome cups on the transmission and then use the drive shafts that came with the kit

RC Champion
    Mayhem.Looking good.

RC Qualifier
    All done guys what do you think? Ok now lets talk gearing what gearing do you guys run with this set up ive got a 68spur 22 pinion right now its pretty fast quick off the line and runs pretty cool but i only ran for about ten minutes

RC Champion
    Mayhem.Thats is one good looking maxx.Is it anY heavier than the stock set up?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah they can say what they want its heavy and it drives so different i guess with the plastic chassis you get alot of frame flex or body roll not now its solid ive got some tuning on the suspension to do still but i love it!

RC Champion
    Would you consider this a hard build?
    Are you going to post a video?
    Iam asking so many questions because i might get a chassis like yours(FLM)

RC Qualifier
    As far as the chassis goes its pretty easy my biggest problem is no instructions no warnings etc etc ! for example many posts on here about how to shim where to shim what part number for shims what to feel for when you shim lol. and another issue is they didnt tell you that the traxxas CVD"S wont work when it specifically tells you on there site will work with any aftermarket driveshafts so if you have the traxxas driveshafts or planning on getting them it cant be done. But i can say there axles look beefy and once i figured out how to combine some traxxas bits with there bits it went together good. I love how the truck runs now its very solid and very responsive i have some tuning to do on my shocks Overall i am pleased but if you dont like wrenching or have little to no patience dont get this kit!

RC Champion
    (Ok now lets talk gearing what gearing do you guys run with this set up ive got a 68spur 22 pinion right now its pretty fast quick off the line and runs pretty cool but i only ran for about ten minutes.)

That is a good gear combo to start off with. Get some longer runs in and keep an eye on your temps.

RC Champion
    Sweet maxx MAYHEM6969 !
    Center skid and battery trays would be nice ! One strap per pack isn't enough, you're going to destroy the packs and maybe more if you don't secure them properly. I destroyed a pack with the setup below after a bad landing, so...

I know it's not a hardcase pack, but these ones aren't indestructible too. Just my 2cents !

Can't wait a vid !!

RC Champion
    Thanks Mayhem for your input.Hope you get your gearing straitened out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx View Post
    Sweet maxx MAYHEM6969 !
    Center skid and battery trays would be nice ! One strap per pack isn't enough, you're going to destroy the packs and maybe more if you don't secure them properly. I destroyed a pack with the setup below after a bad landing, so...

I know it's not a hardcase pack, but these ones aren't indestructible too. Just my 2cents !

Can't wait a vid !!
    Yeah im really tapped out on my RC budget right now soo what have you got there just a piece of flat stock bolted to the frame and where can i get some straps that goes long ways instead of on the side like the ones you have. And as far as the video goes i dont own a camera that takes video hopefully soon

RC Qualifier
    Ok heres my latest dilemma the motors getting a little hot so i go up on spur right? and when i hit full throttle it wants to spin out uncontrollably so i loosend the rear shocks a bit it make a little difference but not to much i guess i could take the spring clips out completely and see. Maybe ive got too thick of fluid in the rear and its locking up the diff any input would be great.

RC Champion
    Standard straps from a hardware/DIY store are fine. Be careful the edges of the FLM battery plates are sharp, I used hard foams to protect the straps :

RC Racer
    Regarding the FLM Hybrid Bulks..

No need to shim the pinion, just shims between the bearings and diff itself (8mm work fine). The included shim that sits between the bearing and the bulk should be placed on the ring gear side.

For those of you who have decided to use the output shaft adapters, that is, to be capable of using the stock drive shafts, FLM is in the process of manufacturing new output shafts adapters since the included adapters are too short.. For those of you using CVD's, you're not effected..

Raz

P.S. Mayhem, nice! I to have been thinking of white paint ..

RC Qualifier
    Hey what do you think of my gearing issues what does everybody else run with the FLM diffs and from what i can see they only make a 68t pinion for the emaxx or am i wrong