Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

New FLM chassis and 1/8 diff/bulk !

FLM just released a LCG chassis :

Good news for E-Maxx models !

And now their hybrid bulks can be bought with diff, direct fit !

Front

Rear

I hope someone here will test these products (I won't be the guinea pig this time sorry ).

RC Racer
    how much are they ?

RC Champion
    Chassis $104
    Bulks $90

RC poster
    dang i just bought everything flm, would have definitely bought the bulks with diffs, not sure about the chassis i am not into racing and that may be geared more towards that

RC Racer
    Interesting, but not sure I'm liking the sheet of aluminum battery tray..??

Anybody know what it weighs?

Raz

By the way, I'm a tad confused. Is there a reason one wouldn't choose the new chassis over the old? Better ground clearance with the earlier version?

Raz
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-04-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: post merge

That looks awsome, I have to agree what about the ground clearance??
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    the alum bottom looks real lazy. I do like the bulkheads/diffs though thats real nice

RC Champion
    This LCG chassis is clearly for racers (LCG / racer => pleonasm ), that's why the ground clearance is so low. FLM didn't specify the weight and the thickness of the alu tray.

genXrated
    (Drools on self)
    Nice! And the diffs come with the bulks @ $90 each or is that price per set w/out diffs?

RC Racer
    I spoke to FLM last night. I'm told both Chassis are 2mm shorter than the stock 3908 chassis.

Also, you lose only 1/8th of an inch in ground clearance with the LCG Chassis versus their other Chassis. 1/8th of an inch doesn't seem like much. The LCG chassis also allows for ease with different battery placement configurations.

I would agree, the battery tray is a bit boring. It seems FLM could match it to their quality art, as with all other pieces.. However, the LCG Chassis looks pretty awesome...

Raz

One other thing to mention, I beleive FLM is working on revising a better looking battery tray, versus just a solid piece of aluminum.

Raz
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-05-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: post merge

genXrated
    Did my homework (went to site) and I can't believe they sell that whole bulkhead setup @ $90 each! I will be making this purchase in the future for sure. The chassis is not appealing to me, but that's just me. Maybe if they redesign that battery tray, but for now, no thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I see what your saying bout the battery tray, a bit thin but looks sweet I have the 3906 model will t fit that??
    Can you pass me another screw?

RC Racer
    I thought I would clarify, in case it's misunderstood. Regarding the LCG Chassis, you not only lose 1/8th of an inch in ground clearance, you lose the center pocket of ground clearance as well.

Raz

RC Qualifier
    Did anyone purchase these diff/bulks yet i would like to know how they perform and holdup to some abuse?
    I BLAME ALL THIS ON POPOXX!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYHEM6969 View Post
    Did anyone purchase these diff/bulks yet i would like to know how they perform and holdup to some abuse?
    I beleive they are the Hotbodies Diffs, but I'm awaiting answers from FLM..

Raz

RC Qualifier
    I spoke to FLM last night. I'm told both Chassis are 2mm shorter than the stock 3908 chassis.
    i have the other flm chassis and it is 2mm longer than the stock tray
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMBA2200 View Post
    i have the other flm chassis and it is 2mm longer than the stock tray
    Interesting! FLM told me 2mm shorter then stock, but they obviously meant the stock chassis is 2mm shorter than their chassis

RC Competitor
    In fast lane machine they have both of them and although looking a bit boring i like the idea, if its only 1/8 of an inch that you lose, although you lose the pockets too. The handling must be awesome. There is a guy that runs a low center gravity chassis on you tube and it looks a load of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdv6Z...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-24-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Ok i guess im the guinea pig i ordered two flm hybrid ultimate diffs now im sitting here thinking my gear ratio is going to be off now i need some gearing options? i guess i could see what the ring and pinion difference is between hot bodies and traxxas diffs

OMG! nobody knows anything about these diffs ive emailed fastlane no response ive been on other forums no answers i hope i didnt make a bad choice!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-29-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: post merge

IDB this is what you are after..... AOD lives on......... you don't need the houseing, the bulk is the housing...........GL2U...

we have one.........^^^^ he is going to need help......everybody keeeeep watching..
    (Popoxx)
    "I hope someone here will test these products (I won't be the guinea pig this time sorry )."

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...(-all-models-)
    Last edited by 87 GN; 01-28-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    MAYHEM6969,

I'm right there with you. I've had mine for a couple weeks, but have not installed them yet. I ordered both the front and rear hybrid bulks. The parts themselves look nice. You don't think the gearing is different do you?

I'd have to say I'm a little upset with FLM. Jamie hasn't respoded to me either. I specifically asked wether the Diffs were the Hot Bodies diffs, no reply. I've tried three times already!! FLM??

This post has been edited because of language abuse violation(s). If you see a starred out word in your post, the word has been blocked by the language filter. The language filter was put in place to block words that Traxxas deemed inappropriate for use on their forums. Please remove these words from your post in the future, or warning points will likely be issued.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Razmo View Post
    MAYHEM6969,

I'm right there with you. I've had mine for a couple weeks, but have not installed them yet. I ordered both the front and rear hybrid bulks. The parts themselves look nice. You don't think the gearing is different do you?

I'd have to say I'm a little upset with FLM. Jamie hasn't respoded to me either. I specifically asked wether the Diffs were the Hot Bodies diffs, no reply. I've tried three times already!! FLM??
    As far as i can tell the gearing is different because they are 1/8 scale buggy diffs im just going to install mine and see how it drives. motor hot esc cool gear up motor cool esc hot gear down. Thats what i was told! And i havent got a response from FLM either BTW from what the other guys are saying that they are losi diffs
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-30-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: modified quote

RC Racer
    Okay, here it is....Confirmed from FLM

http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...cat=57&page=30

Raz

RC Qualifier
    Ok before that is deleted caster racing is a company ive never heard of i just hope these diffs arent junk because we bought these to have a worry free bulletproof diff! I hope we will be able to get replacement parts as well

RC Racer
    I'm right there with you.. The diffs better be quality...

Raz

Ok before that is deleted caster racing is a company ive never heard of i just hope these diffs arent junk because we bought these to have a worry free bulletproof diff! I hope we will be able to get replacement parts as well
    I spoke to FLM. FLM assured me the diffs are good quality, hardened and CNC machined. Feel them to be of identical quality to Mugen parts..

Raz
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-31-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Enthusiast
    Well I had my first real crash with my 3908 broke rear shock tower,2 lower A arms rear bulk. so I replaced all A arms and shock towers with RPM ones and the Bulks with GH aluminium ones put it all back together just to find out my rear pinion gear is TOAST so Friday I will be ordering me a front and rear hybrid bulks with 1/8 diffs and a LCG chassis perfect timming I just wish i would have know about the diff before I got the GH bulks

RC Racer
    Shock tower and front bulk was the first to go for me to .. I'm awaiting a set of Lunsford hinge pins, then on to the install...I will the say the Hybrid kit looks great.

The RPM Arms and towers are great.

Raz

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Razmo View Post
    I'm awaiting a set of Lunsford hinge pins, then on to the install..

Raz
    What are those ?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper1012 View Post
    What are those ?
    Lunsford has been around for a long while. They manufacture titanium hinge pins, which I hope are stronger than hardened steel FLM pins. The stock Traxxas pins are not my favorites...

http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Raz
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-30-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Content

RC Enthusiast
    oh ok thanks. which ones did you order the emaxx 3.3 ones?

RC Enthusiast
    Were the rpm a arms a tight fit on the gh bulks? Is your steering (bellcrank?) hitting the lower a arm - hinge pin?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper1012 View Post
    oh ok thanks. which ones did you order the emaxx 3.3 ones?
    Sorry, I thought I attached a direct link. Search 3801 and that will get you there. Total with shipping UPS for me was $33..

Raz

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccle View Post
    Were the rpm a arms a tight fit on the gh bulks? Is your steering (bellcrank?) hitting the lower a arm - hinge pin?
    no issue with the steering but I did have to shave a little off the A arms they were a very tight fit . i just used a little sand paper.

RC Champion
    New pics posted by gumleguf on RCM forum (http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30847) :

RC Qualifier
    They finally made it ! [IMG][/IMG]Im going to wait until my chassis gets here to install them

RC Racer
    Hey there Mayhem,

Thought I'd see if you've finished and tested the hybrid bulks? I intend to get to some building myself, tomorrow..

Raz

RC Qualifier
    No im still waiting on FLM to ship them i dont know why things take soo long in this industry! And im really confuse on how to shim these because they arent like a traxxas gear there is no hole in the pinion shaft for a pin just a flat surface and a hex nut so if you shim it and try to install the axle cup it pushes the pinion toward the ring gear making it sloppy

RC Racer
    No im still waiting on FLM to ship them i dont know why things take soo long in this industry! And im really confuse on how to shim these because they arent like a traxxas gear there is no hole in the pinion shaft for a pin just a flat surface and a hex nut so if you shim it and try to install the axle cup it pushes the pinion toward the ring gear making it sloppy
    I finally had a chance to get some building done. Everything is a nice fit and I don't see a need for shimming, BUT.... I have also found that the ring gear is NOT compatible with the stock center drive shaft assembly. Not only is there no hole for the pin, it doesn't even slide into the stock center assembly. They failed here, as the included parts only allow for a center CVD drive shaft.

So, at this point FLM should get cracking (they better be already) and manufacture a hardened ring gear desigined to fit the center drive shaft assembly... I have a call into FLM, awaiting a reply..

Raz

RC Racer
    Mayhem,

After getting everything together, I'm now seeing the need for shimming to prevent the differential from sliding side to side inside the bulk. No way has FLM tested this thing as it comes or am I sure the bulk was designed for the included differential. However, I will say the parts are nice!

I see that FLM included a shim, but the shim isn't nearly thick enough, as it leaves about 1/32 of play between the diff and diff pinion gear. I've also noticed that the shim was meant to be placed on the side where the diff gear sits. However, even with it placed on this side, there is still about a 1/16th gap on the other side. It's my belief that shims of the equilivent thickness added to both sides should rectify the problem. However, I'm a bit skeptical that you will be able to mount the stock axles at this time. It seems clear that the "Hybrid" idea wasn't fully thought out.. Very dissapointing FLM!

Also, the diff pinion gear shaft is NOT compatible with the stock center drive shaft assembly. It was desinged for CVD use only. As mentioned, FLM better get cracking to rectify this issue to..

Raz
    Last edited by Razmo; 02-20-2012 at 04:45 PM.

RC Racer
    Guy,

A few other quesitons that need answering...

1) What weight differential grease should be used?

2) How much differenctial grease should be used?

3) Should a light layer of grease be applied to the pinion and ring gear?

4) Which set of gaskets should be used? It was factory built with three .2mm gaskets totaling .6mm. However it came equipped with additional gaskets. One Blue, which is .5mm thick (and seems to be a different material), two brown, which are .2mm thick and made of paper (same used in factory build) and three light brown, which are .10mm thick and made of paper.

5) Does it matter which side of the diff box that the ring gear sit in? I suppose the stock orientation is the proper direction.

Thanks,
    Raz
    Last edited by Razmo; 02-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.