RC poster

VXL thermal shutdown?

Upgraded to VXL-3 w/velineon 3500 a week ago. Running a Traxxas 5000 mah 3S lipo. Been a blast. It screams. Had an issue w/parked car and had to rebuild some of the front end. Also changed from a 23T pinion to an 18T since I had it apart anyway. Also noticed the antenna wire where it comes out of the mast is severed. No range issues though. Now the steering seems glitchy and after running a while, once truck comes to a full stop, it takes several trigger throws or a push to get it started. Once started it runs fine. But occasionally once stops its hard to get started again. Sometimes cycling the steering helps get it started. Motor gets hot but ESC is ice cold (I'm running the fan) Motor is hot when this happens but not as hot as with the 23T pinion. Steering servo is Ok took it apart no stripped gears and works pretty good when I run with the trim off center. Does this sound like a radio issue or some kind of thermal shutdown the motor is going through? I think the steering is a radio issue. But don't know about the motor.

RC Qualifier
    There is no thermal shutdown for the motor. That is only for the ESC.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    That was my thought. But am I the only one having this type issue with the velineon motor?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjm5837 View Post
    That was my thought. But am I the only one having this type issue with the velineon motor?
    Check your motor wires. A poor connection can cause strange issues.

...actually, check all your wires. If things are acting funny after a crash maybe one is loose or the solder broke.
    Last edited by squiggs77; 01-04-2012 at 04:27 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Swear I wrote a reply to this earlier...

Check the banana plugs, give them a squeeze with some pliers. That's only a temporary fix though. The better fix is to replace the male bananas, or solder the two pieces together.