RC poster

Esc glows red with NiMH

I just ran my Traxxas VXL 5807 for the first time. I charged my battery pack for eight hours until the light on the charger went green. The pack didn't even feel warm after charging.

I turned the car on and set the Esc to red since I'm not running LiPos. The car was amazingly fast, but...

after a short while the car would refuse to move. The steering worked, but I could hear clicking as the throttle was applied. Then it came back to life. Then it refused to move, then it came back to life etc.

I took the body off and noticed that periodically the Esc would glow red, as if it was indicating a low battery state. I thought it only did this for LiPos. The battery pack felt warm to the touch. Total running time would have been less than 15 minutes. Also, the car seems to be either full on throttle or full off. Can you run these things on a progressive throttle?

Do I have a problem, or am I just a noob who needs to get used to NiMH technology?

RC Champion
    the clicking you have heard is called cogging and happens at low speed and is normal but did you notice the car slow down before it did this?
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like you need to charge the battery up again! Or maybe you bumped your throttle trim on your remote.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    It was the firts charge of a new battery. Is it likely that it wasn't fully charged, even though the charger light had turned green?

RC Qualifier
    Those chargers work okay, but the battery needs to get acquainted to a charge. Throw it on again and see if you get a performance increase. The one thing you don't want to do with a brand new battery is put it on a fast charger. Get about 5 good charges in it and then you can charge it at low amps.
    Last edited by BanditTransit; 01-04-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Racer
    Another thing, the red light will go off until full throttle is hit and come back on when released.

RC Qualifier
    ^ He is correct. If that is the case, you know the ESC works.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    So let me get this straight... if I take the car body off so I can see the chassis, and the low voltage warning (ESC) is set to off because I'm using NiMH batteries, then the ESC will still glow red when:
    - the battery is low
    - when I hit full throttle and then release the trigger
    ...yes?? I'm confused.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    So let me get this straight... if I take the car body off so I can see the chassis, and the low voltage warning (ESC) is set to off because I'm using NiMH batteries, then the ESC will still glow red when:
    - the battery is low
    - when I hit full throttle and then release the trigger
    ...yes?? I'm confused.
    Yes. The ESC will glow red when the LVC is off. That's how you know the LVC is off. When the NiMH battery get's low the truck will just run slower and when it's very low it won't really move at all. When the truck is receiving throttle input the ESC light will turn off. So what you are seeing is the way it's supposed to work.

With LVC off and no throttle input or pressing of the ESC button:
    Steady red light = good
    Flashing red light = bad

Your ESC manual should explain it all.
    Last edited by squiggs77; 01-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.

RC Champion
    I would also zero your trims and calibrate the tx to the esc again.

RC poster
    A comprehensive reply, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the feedback.